What is your favorite oil for premix ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you run the oil you run ?

• Because it smells good

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Because it is blue

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Because it is easy to get

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Because an internet test told me it is the best

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Because my buddy's run it

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Because it cleans the inside of my saw

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
I run the Lucas semi synthetic and dolmar full synthetic at 36:1. They are both cheap enough and high quality. Ran stihl ultra for a long time but the stuff gives me a headache and is no better than the two I use now and they are a good amount cheaper. Also use some Klotz original super techniplate once in a while.

As long as it is at least semi synthetic for air cooled engines with the top norms Jaso FD, Iso-L-EDG and API Tc, I don't really care about the brandname.

Same here. I have used Amsoil, HR-1, Red Armor, Mobil 2t, Opti-2, Stihl Ultra, etc. I am sure I am missing one or two. The one thing I do extra is add 2 ounces of Seafoam per gallon of mix. I like to try different oils. Honestly, I can't tell a difference in any of them.

I have a drum of 3o weight engine oil from Vietnam era, it's turned to about 90wt for some reason. I've been dumping 10 gals in my 300 gallon diesel tank when I get it filled.

Ya got me... but I haven't had issues with oil 5+ yrs old. Then again, I usually don't buy that much oil to sit around that long. However oil is relatively cheap, in the scheme of things... so I'd have no reservations pitching it either.

I run the Lucas semi synthetic and dolmar full synthetic at 36:1. They are both cheap enough and high quality. Ran stihl ultra for a long time but the stuff gives me a headache and is no better than the two I use now and they are a good amount cheaper. Also use some Klotz original super techniplate once in a while.

I still have a stash (Stihl Ultra) from when I bought a 4-mix trimmer and blower... sort of a hot plastic smell, not totally a fan. I'd love to give Amsoil saber a try when I run out.

I use Bel-Ray H1R at 40:1 with ethanol free 91 octane.

Runs and starts great and has a pleasant smell.... I have run Stihl ultra and agree with others that it smells funny and can give me a headache after even a very short time of running/tuning a saw.

Ya got me... but I haven't had issues with oil 5+ yrs old. Then again, I usually don't buy that much oil to sit around that long. However oil is relatively cheap, in the scheme of things... so I'd have no reservations pitching it either.

This drum was buried amongst a bunch of junk. 2 falls ago we sent about 45 tons of junk to the metal scrappers, and there's still more!

I use dolmar synthetic and red armor. At 42.5:1 is also have a can of vp and true fuel 40:1 for when I may not be cutting awhile. The vp smells like the race track and gets me going lol

the company i've been working for runs an oil branded "airkooled" mixed at 40:1. i read the bottle and it says it's FD rated. has the 76 gas station logo on it. seems to be pretty good stuff but saws exhaust really burns the nose burning it. at home i've been running 40:1 husky oil cause it's easy to get. i hardly cut at home anymore though since i'm usually sick of it after a 2 week shift.

Lately I've also been running and Amsoil saber 40:1 for the same reasons as yourself because it's blue and decent oil. I'm Also a fan of H1R , but it's red, so sometimes I'll mix and match 1/2 H1R/saber to end up somewhere between 32 and 40:1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use em all. All at once as I just keep dumping little bottles of whatever I can come up with cheap into my gallon mix oil jugs. Mix that "special blend" at 32:1 year after year.

I use em all. All at once as I just keep dumping little bottles of whatever I can come up with cheap into my gallon mix oil jugs. Mix that "special blend" at 32:1 year after year.
I got a bunch of different part bottles of oil and was thining of doing the same. They been layon around for years. Back when i just had a couple poulans i baught whatever.

Stihl Ultra at 40:1 in the 661 while its under warranty, but Motul 800 at 40:1 in everything else 2 stroke I own..because in my eyes it runs so clean. Motul is $8 a litre dearer but I'm not worried about the price TBH. The second the 661 is out of warranty it will get Motul and a decent muffler mod as well.

A fifty- fifty mix of ambergris and royal jelly with just a touch of poulan synthetic for flavor.

Latest posts

Back