What kind of bandage will stick to sweaty skin??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok, I'm up the tree, silky saw bypass...thunk! Into my forearm...owwww!
Blood starts to run,, sweaty as a.....I take my first aid kit off my belt, start digging for a 'plaster'...mop it all up with a telfa pad, break out the big band aids, the fabric ones, and nothing will stick!!!
I managed with three stuck one over the other eventually, held back the red stuff till I finished and got to the big kit in the truck.

So, when you all are up a tree, sweaty and wounded, what do you find sticks the best??? Elastoplast failed me today...:dizzy:

First Aid

This is what I would recommend.Put a sterile dressing over the wound,and keep it in place with a wrap called Coban,it comes in rolls and sticks to itself like you can't believe.If I'm correct they used it in Vietnam, and it's been around ever since.I think 3M makes it.Maybe google it,but I'm sure any safety supply ie.first aid supply would have it.
Lawrence

Ok, I'm up the tree, silky saw bypass...thunk! Into my forearm...owwww!
Blood starts to run,, sweaty as a.....I take my first aid kit off my belt, start digging for a 'plaster'...mop it all up with a telfa pad, break out the big band aids, the fabric ones, and nothing will stick!!!
I managed with three stuck one over the other eventually, held back the red stuff till I finished and got to the big kit in the truck.

So, when you all are up a tree, sweaty and wounded, what do you find sticks the best??? Elastoplast failed me today...:dizzy:

I wrap masking tape or electrical tape around the bandage nothing sticks to oil and grease either.

Kansas

First Aid

Forgot to mention that a little bit of Hydrogen Peroxide will flush out the dirt before you put on the sterile dressing and the Coban
Lawrence

I forget what it is called, but when I worked at the local Agway as a kid, we had these leg wraps for horses. They stick to everything, including themselves, but are not so adhesive that they tear your arm apart when you remove them. I think they were about 3 bucks each and come in all kinds of cool colors, if you wanna look good while you bleed out...

They were like "Ace" bandages, but with adhesive backing, so they would stay put without those annoying little clips.

Check em out, I used to carry 2 of them in my trauma kit.

The wrap that is being referred to is called Vet Wrap made by 3M among others and is found at any Tractor Supply Co. It will only stick to itself and is very flexible so it doesn't cut off circulation unless you just wrapped to tight to start with. It's the most important part of our first aid kits because you can't stop the bleeding if you can't hold the bandage on.

First Aid

Okay I just googled this. 3M Coban bandage. It does come in different colours and even a latex free product in case you have latex allergies
Lawrence

I recommend a kit. A seal zipp bag with a disposable nappie (unused) gaffa tape (color of your choice) a tampon unused (see your girl friend about this) a chemical ice bag (break and cool it) type and a clean towel.
These all make a real fair dinks 1st aid kit that can...
Plug compress seal wrap cool hold amputations & wipe up industry related mishaps. I have a giggle at tiny band aids n little cotton buds you find in most kits these wont stop a nasty claret job just make you swear more whilst trying to open them. I did the same as writer up a tree. I pulled a hand saw through the back cut and into my face, lucky was outside a hospital. It must a look bad but not as messy as Micheal Jackson's nic n tuck..

Take care but be prepared

Thanks guys...I have all that trauma stuff, hope I'll never need it...what seems to be the most in demand is something to stanch the Silky saw holes...an unfortunate bypass into the arm or fingers is always messy, combine that with the sweat...while up a tree, no need to come down, its messy but not serious...just need something that will stick despite the sweat, keep the 'claret' in the jug till the job's done, that will fit in the first aid kit I wear on my belt.

You've given me some good leads thanks!

Thank God I've never Silky'd my face...that musta been nasty derwoodii!! Got any scars?

Not that you could do it while climbing, but I have found seran(spelling?) wrap to work great for covering stuff. Sticks great and is very flexible. Awesome stuff for covering new tats, roadrash, etc.

Duct tape and sanitary napkins?
:agree2:
Years ago, while moving a (NOT RUNNING) saw, nicked my forearm on the chain. HO gave me a sanitary napkin - had the duct tape - wrapped it up went back to work. Since, napkins are part of my kit - Gonna keep the duct tape & add the Coban - thanks petesoldsaw

Duct tape and sanitary napkins?

Sorry to hear about it Bermie.

Ewww, if its bad enough for THAT, I'm gonna be on the ground in a heap shaking and wommiting!

No, just need a plug for the usual pattern of little elongated silky holes...thing was this time I got real close to a vein that runs across the top of my arm, over the bone, and there was a lot of blood, and sweat...sheesh, get it yet?
I have three purple spots there now, you'd all call me a wimperina if you saw it, but hey, we girls are not as into scars as you macho men!

Going to go look for COBAN this week...

I don't carry a kit in the tree with me, but I'm a big fan of electrical tape. If it's just a nick and you want to finish have someone throw you up a roll, wrap it off and take care of it proper once you're done. I've also been known to tell the groundies not to walk underneath me, "I'm bleeding", and simply finish the job bandage free and bloody. Something about hot mornings when your heart's pumpin' from too much coffee and sweat is pouring out your body that causes even the smallest scrapes to gush blood.

Ewww, if its bad enough for THAT, I'm gonna be on the ground in a heap shaking and wommiting!

No, just need a plug for the usual pattern of little elongated silky holes...thing was this time I got real close to a vein that runs across the top of my arm, over the bone, and there was a lot of blood, and sweat...sheesh, get it yet?
I have three purple spots there now, you'd all call me a wimperina if you saw it, but hey, we girls are not as into scars as you macho men!

Going to go look for COBAN this week...

probably the quickest and most absorbent thing out there though usually its just a sweaty T-shirt and a scary ride to the ER.
I have a bottle of irigating saline wash like they have in them fancy hospitals. You can get it at a pharmacy, its more for deep cuts, the kind that makes me woozy.

Treemandan

Treemandan,that's a good tip you gave regarding the saline solution.It won't sting either as i think it is the same salinity as the human body.
Lawrence

Coban = expensive +++
As a medical professional(Full time) / tree climber (part-time) I'd suggest the humble/simple Kling wrap. Just put on the sterile guaze and cover with kling. What works even better is a 2 or 3 " tensor bandage. fits nicely in the first aid kit on the saddle and if you ever get a real gusher - it will stop that if you wrap it tighter. Don't get me wrong nothing wrong with Coban but I guess I'm not a rich full timer :confused:

Back