What kind of wood is this please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLHX Storm

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Lost somewhere in the mountains of the southeast!
I've been thinking this is Sassafras, but I really don't know 100% for sure. Here are several pictures including the newer growth that has thorns on it. I did taste one of the small branches with thorn on it and to me it didn't taste like rootbeer.

IMG_0829_zps21d73d6f.jpg

IMG_0831_zps2e18b287.jpg

IMG_0833_zps7c8d45ab.jpg

The grain of Sassafrass looks alot more like red oak. But it has a sweet smell like liquorice. You lucked out, that locust is some of the best burning wood there is.

You got some of the best wood our forests have to offer there. I put mine back and save it for really, really cold nights. Will last forever dry, outlast us in the ground. I have about 2 cords I put up last winter I'll probably not touch this year, and a few more cords on the hoof (standing dead). Also collected a lot from logging tops that sat on the ground for 8+ years, still good. If the bark is off, it is ready to go, no wait. I heard somewhere you can burn it green and it is still good, but I've never tried that.

Really, you got a load of the best. Worth almost whatever it takes to get it. :msp_thumbsup:

We cut a sassafrass about that big this fall. Busted up half-dead snag it was, but the biggest I'd ever seen by a lot. Probably burn it in the fall, it dries light.

Locust. Wandering open weave to the bark, Thorns, orangish stringy wood.

Sassafrass has a tighter "weave" but is just as pronounced, and the smell is definitive. Think Lemony Turpentine.
You can split Sassafrass with a sharp glance. Locust, not so much.

No Rootbeer flavor on the wood, but the skin on the roots when boiled have a flavor similar to rootbeer when sugar is added to the Tea.
Sassafrass leaves dried and ground up fine(File') is the best stuff for thickening soups and stews.

Ya did good. Locust is as good as coal IMO.
Call me jealous.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

What you want sassafras for?

There should be some in your area.

For file, pick leaves just as the buds open up. Ma used to say "pick when leaves are size of mouse ears".

Last edited:
you will love that locust and will always remember what it looks like, its been cold and ive been mixing it in...one of the best

I've been thinking this is Sassafras, but I really don't know 100% for sure. Here are several pictures including the newer growth that has thorns on it. I did taste one of the small branches with thorn on it and to me it didn't taste like rootbeer.

By the x's in the bark it kind of looks like the hickory that i cut.

mockernut+bark+057a.jpg

Any seed pods or nuts by the tree?

Besides the visuals, one BIG clue as to tree species ID is density.

With that info, you'd NEVER confuse BL with sassafras. No how, no way. Then there's hardness.

As to the thorns, well ... QED.

Good old black locust. I dont have the black but I do have the honey locust for next year. Thorns normally tells you locust as others have said.

Black locust

Black Locust(Robinia pseudoacacia)

The small thorns made it easy. Sassafras has no thorns.
Stumpy75 and shower guy pegged it right. It turns well on a wood lathe after aging one year per inch diameter, coated soon with Anchorseal, a water soluble liquid sealant.

Here, the black locust doesn't have thorns and the flesh is cherry orange in the center. The honey has beaucoup thorns: irony of ironies.

I cut what I thought was a "small" oak and was told from description and pictures and smell it was sassy. It was decidedly citronella in smell. Very pleasant.

I know locust is very high on the BTU chart but when you burn in an open double sided fireplace with a nine inch flue, it all burns the same.

Latest posts

Back