What knot to use.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
From a previous thread there were some discussions about knots being used. I respect the experience shown there but as a "newbie", I may have become aware of some of the limitations to that beloved Bowline knot and wanted to share those.
One, it is not a cinching knot as required by current standards. The carabiner can move around and runs the risk of getting sideways or being unlocked.
Second, it can unroll after being loaded and unloaded. I have actually seen the knot do this.

But it is a great knot.

Below is a great video from ISA, notice that the audio is dubbed over to reflect current new standards.

[video=youtube;Bilfe5GZrP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bilfe5GZrP8&feature=plcp[/video]

I'm getting a stiffy

I'm getting a stiffy, 10" to be exact. (free with the wrench) It should arrive today with my new Rope Wrench and I am looking forward to setting it up. It should be a little different than my ZK-1 and I am wondering what knot will work best.
Any suggestions? Of course I know it depends on the type of split tail you use and climbing line but I'm looking for input. I will try it with a hitch climber pulley and a fixed plate pulley to see what works best with the given length.

asc180-long.gif

By the way, what the heck is this knot? Looks like half a VT with a misplaced braid. I suspect it was set up by a sales clerk in the store but I don't think I want to come down a rope with that thing. Photo below from Wesspur.

asc179k-500.gif

This stuff should be posted in the 'Arborist 101' forum.

Fair enough... just didn't see it as a real beginner subject. So if some of you advanced users are still using the bowline to tie in, come on over to the 101 site.

Last edited:
I'm getting a stiffy, 10" to be exact. (free with the wrench) It should arrive today with my new Rope Wrench and I am looking forward to setting it up. It should be a little different than my ZK-1 and I am wondering what knot will work best.
Any suggestions? Of course I know it depends on the type of split tail you use and climbing line but I'm looking for input. I will try it with a hitch climber pulley and a fixed plate pulley to see what works best with the given length.

asc180-long.gif

By the way, what the heck is this knot? Looks like half a VT with a misplaced braid. I suspect it was set up by a sales clerk in the store but I don't think I want to come down a rope with that thing. Photo below from Wesspur.

asc179k-500.gif
Coopers hitch;)

I wasnt aware you were using it as a termination knot. I would not use it for a termination knot. Archor knot or double figure 8 are both good termination knots. Bowline works much better for almost any other application. PS most questions and ideas are best suited for Arborist 101. If you post this kinda stuff in the commercial forum they get all whiney. Its more of a braging rights kinda place.

If you post this kinda stuff in the commercial forum they get all whiney. Its more of a braging rights kinda place.

Wrong. Most of the guys in Commercial know what they're doing and they're not shy about calling somebody out for posting bogus information or techniques. They'll do the same thing in 101...and they should.

I don't see a lot of whining in Commercial and if there's any bragging going on it's usually justified.

Listen to what they say, not how they say it.

I wasnt aware you were using it as a termination knot. I would not use it for a termination knot. Archor knot or double figure 8 are both good termination knots. Bowline works much better for almost any other application. PS most questions and ideas are best suited for Arborist 101. If you post this kinda stuff in the commercial forum they get all whiney. Its more of a braging rights kinda place.

I almost agree.
I don't use it as a termination knot, it was another post that I was responding to.
Actually I do use a bowline on my bridge spacer , cause I am fat lol ! I used a bowline on the bight.....it's a great all around knot that is easy to learn easy to tie and barely ever spits out what's its tied too ! It was the first knot I was taught !

I use an anchor knot or a double fisherman depending on which way I want the rope to exit. Both are considered the required cinching knot. Don't think the figure 8 is considered a cinching knot. But I do agree, the Bowline is a king.
Here is a modified bowline I like, kind of a sheet bend modification too but more like a bowline. It would be a bowline if the tail I was using was the same rope.
I find it great when I want another rope up the tree.

attachment.php

View attachment 254600

Wrong. Most of the guys in Commercial know what they're doing and they're not shy about calling somebody out for posting bogus information or techniques. They'll do the same thing in 101...and they should.

I don't see a lot of whining in Commercial and if there's any bragging going on it's usually justified.

Ahhhhhhhhh...........stop your whining!!!!!! It's ALL good and mostly fun wherever the heck you want to put it.

This is how i roll....err climb keep it simple

YouTube - Blake's Hitch

I'm having trouble with this link, I have seen the Blake's Hitch video, but I really wanted to watch that one on the worlds largest log splitter, I'll do a little search, it looks interesting.
Can't get much more simple that the Blake's hitch and with nothing more than a rope and saddle you are climbing trees, well almost, a carabiner is very useful.

I'm having trouble with this link, I have seen the Blake's Hitch video, but I really wanted to watch that one on the worlds largest log splitter, I'll do a little search, it looks interesting.
Can't get much more simple that the Blake's hitch and with nothing more than a rope and saddle you are climbing trees, well almost, a carabiner is very useful.

I use a split tail though, its easier to unclip if i need to double crotch or come down for some reason i just unclip and walk away and clip back in.

Definition of COMMERCIAL
a (1) : occupied with or engaged in commerce or work intended for commerce <a commercial artist> (2) : of or relating to commerce <commercial regulations> (3) : characteristic of commerce <commercial weights> (4) : suitable, adequate, or prepared for commerce <found oil in commercial quantities>
b (1) : being of an average or inferior quality <commercial oxalic acid> <show-quality versus commercial cattle> (2) : producing artistic work of low standards for quick market success
a : viewed with regard to profit <a commercial success>
b : designed for a large market
: emphasizing skills and subjects useful in business <a commercial school>

New:
Definition of COMMERCIAL
1. not occupied with or engaged in "bogus information or techniques"

Got it, now how about some great knot talk on the 101 site.

What knot to use and what not to use.

Anybody know if you can change the title to the thread? I should have called it "What knot to use and what not to use".

So far.........use the bowline to...
.... help my bucket outta sugar sand ,
...but not as a termination to the saddle.

Still waiting for my new Rope Wrench to arrive, damn they are slow when you are standing around waiting.

Anybody know if you can change the title to the thread? I should have called it "What knot to use and what not to use".

So far.........use the bowline to...

...but not as a termination to the saddle.

Still waiting for my new Rope Wrench to arrive, damn they are slow when you are standing around waiting.

Double fisherman on a biner to connect the saddle. What works for someone might not work for you so explore and try different stuff.

I use a split tail though, its easier to unclip if i need to double crotch or come down for some reason i just unclip and walk away and clip back in.

eye to eye split tail or split tail to like a Blake's hitch?

I do the same with my 80' motion lanyard and I mostly use two Blake's hitch's on split tails.

eye to eye split tail or split tail to like a Blake's hitch?

I do the same with my 80' motion lanyard and I mostly use two Blake's hitch's on split tails.

Split tail to blakes. 1/2" piece of rope with an eye at one end.

Last edited:
Double fisherman on a biner to connect the saddle. What works for someone might not work for you so explore and try different stuff.

Exactly. I really like the double fisherman's because it is so easy to tie and then insert the carabiner into the loop, also the rope exits upward and away from the system. That way it stays clear of my eye to eye split tail or single eye split tail and out of the way.
If I am not using a split tail, I use an anchor knot that exits horizontally to the running end of my line for the Blake's hitch.
You are right, I am exploring and trying different stuff. I'm still to new to be stuck in my old ways.
Thanks

Last edited:
Exactly. I really like the double fisherman's because it is so easy to tie and then insert the carabiner into the loop, also the rope exits upward and away from the system. That way it stays clear of my eye to eye split tail or single eye split tail and out of the way.
If I am not using a split tail, I use an anchor knot that exits horizontally to the running end of my line for the Blake's hitch.
You are right, I am exploring and trying different stuff. I'm still to new to be stuck in my old ways.
Thanks

If you are ordering a Wrench, you won't need to worry about any of that anymore.

Latest posts

Back