What knot to use.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What knot to use and what not to use. What I used with my new Rope Wrench.

Now if you excuse me, I have my Poison Ivy anchored to a white oak with an Alpine Butterfly and I need the exercise and stress management after all these postings.

Pics or it didnt happen

I am not posting this to prove that I have accomplished anything, but I do like the idea of pictures so that I can get help on doing it better and perhaps others can learn from any mistakes I make.
I am not an instructor, I am a newbie with about 3 months rope climbing experience. I read a lot, I study a lot but lack experience. Any suggestions, comments, advise or questions I pose are from my level of knowledge and my limited amount of experience. It is not instruction of any kind. I am posting this here because I am at my 101 level

So first off I used my Big Shot to get my anchor about 65 feet on the main stem. I tie the throw bag on my throw line with a cow hitch and half hitch. I find that to be secure and easy to release. After isolating the anchor I tied my 150' Poison Ivy to the throw line with a pile hitch and a few half hitches. Pulled the line up and secured my single line with an Alpine Butterfly.
I tried several hitches, low and slow, and felt the Distel worked best. I like it also because is is very easy to check visually if you think of a backwards Schwabisch. I have found that the Valdotain Tresse takes too much space on my Rope Wrench.

Wrench with 10" stiffy and Distel hitch.
The stiffy does a great job of keeping the wrench from binding on the pulley.
I also use my lanyard over my back with a micro pulley to use one handedly to tend the slack and keep the wrench at chest level. I find this more comfortable than a
HTML:
bungee cord around my neck or for that matter even a High Limb Chain Saw.

I will attach videos in my next post so you can all make fun of the old chubby guy getting up the tree.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 255367View attachment 255368View attachment 255369View attachment 255370View attachment 255371

Last edited:
Distel hitch with Rope Wrench

Climb without foot loop.

Sorry, but I had to set my iPhone on the chair to make the recordings myself.

Short climb without foot loop. Lanyard used in place of neck bungee, pantin right foot, hand ascender with 1' webbing to harness for back-up. Once at top, I check the distel hitch and set it, I step out of the pantin, disconnect the hand ascender and descend with the rope wrench using a distel hitch.
[video=youtube;PbeK-2as0Ng]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbeK-2as0Ng&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]

Knots used for SRT rope wrench.

This is a longer climb using the foot loop. I had to climb to the TIP to redirect the running end of my climbing line to follow the working end as I had moved it out of the way while I was practicing. I did this to ease the recovery of my climbing line.

[video=youtube;uMy6eanTbPE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMy6eanTbPE&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]

This is a longer climb using the foot loop. I had to climb to the TIP to redirect the running end of my climbing line to follow the working end as I had moved it out of the way while I was practicing. I did this to ease the recovery of my climbing line.

[video=youtube;uMy6eanTbPE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMy6eanTbPE&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Learning how to climb with 50lbs of gear on? It looks like you've got all the shiny toys and you seem to be able to use them. If your goal is to climb around trees and sit in chairs, it looks like you are competent to do that.

Personally, I climb very light. All that stuff hanging on your saddle tends to wear on the hips. If you really want to be "one with the tree", go old school. Rope, saddle and a climbing snap. Its a better work out and much easier on the wallet.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Learning how to climb with 50lbs of gear on? It looks like you've got all the shiny toys and you seem to be able to use them. If your goal is to climb around trees and sit in chairs, it looks like you are competent to do that.

Personally, I climb very light. All that stuff hanging on your saddle tends to wear on the hips. If you really want to be "one with the tree", go old school. Rope, saddle and a climbing snap. Its a better work out and much easier on the wallet.

Very good question....when I was a kid growing up in Oregon I climbed with nothing, (not like the clothing optional guy on this site mind you), but just hands and feet up every fir tree (and others) I could find. To get to the lowest set of limbs on the 150' foot trees I would climb the small ones next to it, pull as many of the branches together as possible and head across. We once made a 4:1 pulley with some hardware, 2x4 and a length of rope.
So it was fun then and it is fun now. If I make a few bucks along the way that is ok too, but the goal, the "what are you trying to accomplish"........as much as I can. My friend, I have no idea what your age is but life goes quickly and to me every day needs to be spent "accomplishing" something and enjoying everything. Those two things go hand in hand.
So, for me, more climbing, whatever that is for enjoyment. Maybe with some practice I can work my way down to a footlock and a carabiner. I have always done what I wanted and if it was called work by someone else, ok.
You arborist have a great job outdoors, physical, challenging, and money making.
My next goal, keep learning to climb, get the ISA certification and whatever else...........
Oh, and one more thing, my wallet is lighter, does that count?

Dang thats a lot of gear lol. I start out with a few biners,slings or loop runners,my Silky,and once i tie in i have my 201T sent up and everything else stays on the ground, if i need it i have it sent up i hate feeling "bulky" moving around.

Last edited:
Dang thats a lot of gear lol. I start out with a few biners,slings or loop runners,my Silky,and once i tie in i have my 201T sent up and everything else stays on the ground, if i need it i have it sent up i hate feeling "bulky" moving around.

That's cuz you are a PRO!

My next climbing line

[video=youtube;DBHt14YmJdM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBHt14YmJdM[/video]

My next goal, keep learning to climb, get the ISA certification and whatever else...........

"Whatever else" entails quite a bit. Tree ID, diseases, pruning, cabling, types of cuts, rigging down big pieces, crane work, machinery care, being able to direct the groundies to keep them safe and productive, handling a saw, bidding...

That's probably a very small part of it but those are the ones I see the most of.

I'm not an arborist, just a logger, but I know enough about their work to admire what they do and to be aware of how complex a job it really is. I also tend to listen when they talk about things I don't know anything about.

You seem intent on increasing your skills...and that's good. But maybe one of the skills you need to develop is listening when some of these guys try to help you. Just because what they tell you doesn't agree with your pre-conceived notions of what's correct doesn't mean that they're wrong.

Arguing with them doesn't help you at all. People who would normally help you will just ignore you if their help isn't appreciated. You can learn a lot here. Just about anything you want to learn is available to you here. But...if you continue to define what you're learning in your own terms and to your own satisfaction and completely disregard the help you've been offered...well, you might as well buy yourself some books and lots more fancy gear...and hope for the best.

Arguing with them doesn't help you at all. People who would normally help you will just ignore you if their help isn't appreciated. You can learn a lot here. Just about anything you want to learn is available to you here. But...if you continue to define what you're learning in your own terms and to your own satisfaction and completely disregard the help you've been offered...well, you might as well buy yourself some books and lots more fancy gear...and hope for the best.

Point well taken. But.............no just kidding, very good point and thanks.

Its a sheet bend no matter where you tie it. If it makes you happier to say midline sheet bend then so be it. I use it to alot when i have to haul a rigging line up to a climber using the tail of his climb line. Also works great when hoisting up rigging blocks too. I just put the sling on the block, thread the rigging line threw the block and tie a stoppper knot. Then i tie the sling onto the climb line with a sheet bend.

Been practicing with the knot today and getting used to it being in the middle of things.
Thanks, I'm ready to haul up that monkey fist now I think.

Try this tomorrow ! Take you lanyard loop it around the tree and hook into it with your single or double rope set high lean backwards and walk up the tree , advance your knot and repeat , your lanyard should be set so your legs are almost straight when your walking up the trunk , don't step above your lanyard because if you slip your ass will slam against the tree and maybe your head as well , then all that crap your carry can be tossed I the garage and can be reduced to a sling #### throw ball climbing line and saddle ! That's it you want to keep the lanyard no higher then your shoulders basically your walking the trunk vertically it's much easier less complex and a hell of a lot faster for me anyway

I'm a pro climber but just bought a 747. Any tips on starting my own airline?

That's easy...just buy lots of brand new, and mostly useless, equipment. Make sure everybody sees it.

When they've seen what you have, well, just go buy more. And more.

If anybody gives you advice, ignore them. They're obviously not as cool as you are with all your equipment.

And if anybody tells you that you're running your airline the wrong way..just keep doing what you're doing. I mean, how hard could it be? :msp_rolleyes:

Try this tomorrow ! Take you lanyard loop it around the tree and hook into it with your single or double rope set high lean backwards and walk up the tree , advance your knot and repeat , your lanyard should be set so your legs are almost straight when your walking up the trunk , don't step above your lanyard because if you slip your ass will slam against the tree and maybe your head as well , then all that crap your carry can be tossed I the garage and can be reduced to a sling #### throw ball climbing line and saddle ! That's it you want to keep the lanyard no higher then your shoulders basically your walking the trunk vertically it's much easier less complex and a hell of a lot faster for me anyway

Thanks Uncle Buck, I'll send pics.

Look at that, I'm a senior member now. Thanks for the hep.

Last edited:
That's easy...just buy lots of brand new, and mostly useless, equipment. Make sure everybody sees it.

When they've seen what you have, well, just go buy more. And more.

If anybody gives you advice, ignore them. They're obviously not as cool as you are with all your equipment.

And if anybody tells you that you're running your airline the wrong way..just keep doing what you're doing. I mean, how hard could it be? :msp_rolleyes:

Nothing compared to all the trucks, chippers and the millions of dollars you guys have in equipment. Guess the opinion here is that whatever it is, it's too much. I was kind of hoping for some comments about what is used and what others like, but don't think that's going to happen.
No problem, thanks anyway.

Latest posts

Back