What makes someone a logger ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just met a girl from Indiana, she's stakes and sells gold claims in S. Africa and we seem to have a bit in common.
I don't want to bugger this opportunity up, so I have been on my best behaviour.
I already told her what a loser I am, so hoping that angle will work.
I think I was being a bit too honest when I told her that I'm just a pennyless woodcutter.
Love clings to some pretty improbable surfaces.
I think I need some help. Lol.
Wish there were more women on this forum, their perspective is important.

Think ya all are over thinkin this.

Its a name it happens to cover a bunch of individual job descriptions.

I fall timber but i wouldn't compare myself to modern fallers that call themselves cutters here or fellers elsewhere

I run a skidder, but i'm not a skidder op

I play with an excavator, i wouldn't call myself an opperator.

I can drive a cat/dozer, but i'm not a cat skinner

I can probably run a log loader too (only messed with one once...) but still not an operator....

All these things are part of logging, hence logger... though really i'm just a gyppo with a bunch of grand ideas.

qtla

View attachment 565923 Anyone who has made at least one cut with a saw and has a p/u truck is a logger. Lol

I'm in. finally...

image.jpeg So, getting back to the girl, she's all about diamonds and gold, and I'm just cutting lowgrade up here in the Acrtic Circle.
I'll try to do my best to see that it works. There is no fool like an old fool.
I think alot of girls like us simplistic white guys, and you can't really blame them.

View attachment 568221 So, getting back to the girl, she's all about diamonds and gold, and I'm just cutting lowgrade up here in the Acrtic Circle.
I think alot of girls like us simplistic white guys, and you can't really blame them.
she doesn't look like the type at all, for gold and diamonds...........you wouldn't be spreading some gas now,, would yah???? :laughing::laughing:

This is it! Well put.
I kinda realized recently my one true love is the woods. I miss my Forestry School days and being a part of nurturing something bigger. Most guys seemed o feel the same way, but couldn't put it to words. Thing about the woods is, they may not love you back, but they sure wont nag you about seeing other trees socially.

Like the tittle says ,what makes someone a logger ?
I'm now retired; but back when I was working [40 years falling] we had fallers, loggers, and truckers. Loggers moved the wood from the brush to the truck. We usually had a 2 million foot lead so very seldom saw a logger. Sometimes the hook would come around and mark tailholts and guyline trees. It takes everybody to get the logs out but I would never call a faller a logger.

I'm now retired; but back when I was working [40 years falling] we had fallers, loggers, and truckers. Loggers moved the wood from the brush to the truck. We usually had a 2 million foot lead so very seldom saw a logger. Sometimes the hook would come around and mark tailholts and guyline trees. It takes everybody to get the logs out but I would never call a faller a logger.

This sums it up for me as well.

I think you are a logger at heart if the woods are your one true love and you think of yourself as playing a role in guiding a forests growth.

I'm thinking that "Forester" is more appropriate for that definition. Or even maybe "Environmentalist" would also fit that as someone who loves the woods and would lobby to see their growth protected by shutting down logging?

Fits the definition doesn't it?

I'm thinking that "Forester" is more appropriate for that definition. Or even maybe "Environmentalist" would also fit that as someone who loves the woods and would lobby to see their growth protected by shutting down logging?

Fits the definition doesn't it?
Where I am, foresters and loggers often have some cross over. You have to know silviculture to be a certified logger and you have to know how to run a saw to be taken seriously as a forester.

Makes sense that its a locational thing.

Out here in the Gallatin Valley, everyone loves the forests, thats why they move here. We are a recreation mecca. It all about living in the Last Best Place. So that definition here, includes about anyone. Including those who want nothing more than to shut down any timber harvesting because they see it as a threat to their domain. So you can see how I read that, doesn't mean you're wrong, or me either. Just not a realistic definition of a Logger here in SW Montana.

Being a logger is also about passing it on to the younger guys who want to learn, even though they may be your competition, but it seems there is enough to go around for everybody, as it seems trees are growing faster than we can cut them down.
The beetles and wildfire are putting in a bigger dent than us woodticks ever will, not to mention hurricanes with the worst offender being beavers.

View attachment 568221 So, getting back to the girl, she's all about diamonds and gold, and I'm just cutting lowgrade up here in the Acrtic Circle.

Girl? She looks old enough to be my Mom!

Back