What makes the ms361 so great?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Volks-man,

I read your thread about that problem. Any idea when you will know something?

Waylan

truthfully i will never have a clue about anything!:monkey:

but i should know something about the saw in the next few days. preliminary guesses (some educated, some not) are:
defect in the casting and/or ring damage on intake side.

pics have been showen to some stihl guys above the dealer level. thats pretty much where we're at.

my disclaimer: none of this is quoted or confirmed.

My 361 that I bought in July of 04 nearly changed my life as much as my toaster oven. How many guys on here have a toaster oven? Gotta have one!

My 361 that I bought in July of 04 nearly changed my life as much as my toaster oven. How many guys on here have a toaster oven? Gotta have one!

Mine caught fire a couple nights ago...seriously. I do not have a toaster at this time. :cry:

Go run one. Then you'll know.

1. Good power to weight ratio
  2. Great anti-vibe
  3. Pro design
  4. Good air filtration system
  5. Excellent fuel economy
  6. Responds well to modding
  7. Only needs a muffler mod to really wake up
  8. Proven in the field
  9. Perfect power for an all around saw.

10. Excellent trigger response/accelleration!

I will say it one more time, because you are new, but its because the pistons for the 361 were forged from the hammer of Thor himself, and that the cylinders are coated with alloys handed down from Zeus on Mt Olympus...

dammitt i like this guy!:clap:
we think alike!:cheers:

Yes, really good that Huskyman became active here again.....:rockn: :rockn:

He lied too you! It may reduce unburned gases (so does a cat muffler) but it sure doesn't increase Hp. :cheers:

The 361 is not stratified, but a 4-channel design unlike most Stihls (but like Husky xps and the best Dolmars) - that's one of the reason that it stands out in the Stihl line-up......

huh... sorry don't think I'll ever get one.

simply no need for a 60cc class saw. good if you only can have one saw...

that's why I sold off my 034 super, Husky 359 and 365.
simply no need after getting my 046 :D

Last edited:
The thing that makes my MS361 great is the fact that it made me appreciate how good a saw my Husky 261 with the new 262 jug and piston really is!!!
They are really close - In fact I think the 261 now has the edge.

Al:clap: :clap: :clap:

If you put a 262xp muffler and clutch on that saw, it will be a true 262xp.

It should beat the 361 in the cut, but it also is a tad heavier - and then there is the outboard clutch, flag type brake handle etc.......

I want one anyway!!!!

I will say it one more time, because you are new, but its because the pistons for the 361 were forged from the hammer of Thor himself, and that the cylinders are coated with alloys handed down from Zeus on Mt Olympus...

Yeah, and I heard that all of that amazing power was because the pistons were made out of Kryptonite.

Look up in the tree! It's a bird, it's a plane, no it's Super Saw!

Got to figure out this pitcher thing got some really good ones from a job this week anyway took down a 40" pin oak with my 361 running a 25" bar an skip chain not my saw of choice for the job but my 044 is in need of a rebuild but the 361 got the job done. Checks in the bank and fire wood is in need of splitting so ill say its a good all around saw.

gotta jump back in the thread here.

the ms 361 i have still screams like a banshee!!!!!!! regardless of the cyl scratches. seems i got a defective casting or coating on the cyl. even so the saw cuts like the proverbial light-sabre. if i did not see the scratches before stopping the piston for the oiler mod, i would never have known there was a problem. i felled and bucked a cord or cord and 1/2 for the two days prior and it ripped!

i have zero experience with the huskys/jreds mentioned here.
but............ will those saws run like that?
damage and all?

Hate to burst your bubble, but ANY saw would run with the light scoring yours has. It is nothing special that your Stihl with a poorly manfactured piston still runs. Most saws run their best right before they blow up

SawTroll,

Are the newer 361's different than yours that was made in 2004, EPA-wise?

Waylan

Mine is a German made one, that is a bit less restricted than the US ones (.1kW more - cylinder and muffler is different).

I don't think the newer ones are more restricted than the older ones, as advertised power is the same.

Btw, I have a modded US muffler (thanks Andy) that I will put on the 361 as soon as I see it again (is at the cottage) - and I expect some power gains.......

Last edited:
The 361 is not stratified, but a 4-channel design unlike most Stihls (but like Husky xps and the best Dolmars) - that's one of the reason that it stands out in the Stihl line-up......

See the 361 is great because its built like a Husky. Some Stihl engineer probably romanced the plans out from under some geeky female Husky engineer...

Back