What makes the ms361 so great?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spent about 1.5hr.s running my ported out 361 tonight, and I have run it may hours falling trees on really steep hills and walnut cutting and using it as a skidder saw and I just don't think they make a better all around saw.

I have an 084, several 600/066's all ported and the 361 is just a great saw pound for pound.

I expect the big saws to run "big". but this little saw has just spent the last several nights easily pulling a 24" bar through seasoned burr oak without even a hint of bogging down or trouble.

With this size bar 24", it acts like a stock 460/660. And all you have to do is put a splash of gas in the tank and it just runs and runs and runs. I am continualy amazed at the gas mileage a 361 gets.

I haven't got to test gas/mileage it in its current port/modded stated but it still is getting great mileage for the amount of wood cut.

In my opinion, if a person owned a modded 361 they would never purchase a 440 or 460 to me there just isn't a big enough difference in power to justify the added weight and bulk. I feel you have to step up to a modded 660 to actually make it a worthy step.

My opinion,

Sam

I bought a 361C just a few weeks ago because I thought it would be the perfect all around saw.And I think for firewood and pulp wood cutting it is.Once it gets broke in a little better I can better tell how well it cuts,but it seems its gonna be a real tree eater.I was torn between the 260 and 361 .For my fence building jobs,the 260 would have suited me better,for just sharpening post,cutting brace rails,cutting post tops or boards,even a 180 or 210 would suit me fine.But around here,fence rows tend to grow up with some pretty big wild cherry and locust trees,some well over 2ft in diameter,so i went with the bigger saw.Bought mine with a 20" bar for $609.Not bad.By the way,not trying to start a war here,but having once owned a Husky 357,the 361 is the better saw.Not that it outcuts the Husky ,but it balances better and just seems to be built alot better.Just my opinion.But I should add that I go towards Stihl chainsaws because I also own a Stihl auger and a Stihl gas drill,which Husqvarna makes neither,or at least sells neither here in the states.Mixing gas the same for all my tools and having 1 service dealer is a huge plus.

I bought a 361C just a few weeks ago because I thought it would be the perfect all around saw.And I think for firewood and pulp wood cutting it is.Once it gets broke in a little better I can better tell how well it cuts,but it seems its gonna be a real tree eater.I was torn between the 260 and 361 .For my fence building jobs,the 260 would have suited me better,for just sharpening post,cutting brace rails,cutting post tops or boards,even a 180 or 210 would suit me fine.But around here,fence rows tend to grow up with some pretty big wild cherry and locust trees,some well over 2ft in diameter,so i went with the bigger saw.Bought mine with a 20" bar for $609.Not bad.By the way,not trying to start a war here,but having once owned a Husky 357,the 361 is the better saw.Not that it outcuts the Husky ,but it balances better and just seems to be built alot better.Just my opinion.But I should add that I go towards Stihl chainsaws because I also own a Stihl auger and a Stihl gas drill,which Husqvarna makes neither,or at least sells neither here in the states.Mixing gas the same for all my tools and having 1 service dealer is a huge plus.

Good post from real life experiences. Welcome, glad you are not another Wanabe.

I just spent about 1.5hr.s running my ported out 361 tonight, and I have run it may hours falling trees on really steep hills and walnut cutting and using it as a skidder saw and I just don't think they make a better all around saw.

I have an 084, several 600/066's all ported and the 361 is just a great saw pound for pound.

I expect the big saws to run "big". but this little saw has just spent the last several nights easily pulling a 24" bar through seasoned burr oak without even a hint of bogging down or trouble.

With this size bar 24", it acts like a stock 460/660. And all you have to do is put a splash of gas in the tank and it just runs and runs and runs. I am continualy amazed at the gas mileage a 361 gets.

I haven't got to test gas/mileage it in its current port/modded stated but it still is getting great mileage for the amount of wood cut.

In my opinion, if a person owned a modded 361 they would never purchase a 440 or 460 to me there just isn't a big enough difference in power to justify the added weight and bulk. I feel you have to step up to a modded 660 to actually make it a worthy step.

My opinion,

Sam

Good Post. Just a muffler mod on the 361 makes a pretty big difference. Well worth the time and little money!

hey, i know you

you are that 290 guy!!!!
what in the he11 do you want with a 361 anyway?
i'd stick with the 290:greenchainsaw:

lmao.At least I got attention with my first post!!!In all honesty,the 290 is a good saw for the money.With a 16" bar and SHARP chisel chain,it cuts about as good as anything.In its class that is.I also owned an 039 and stripped out every starter housing (screw) hole on that damn thing,but it also had a 16" and that really was a cuttin SOB.Anyhow back to the subject,the 361 is a great saw,cant go wrong with it.Dealer talked me into the quick chain adjuster for the same price as regular adjuster.Looks kinda dumb and cheesy,but so far it works fine and saves gettin poked by carryin a sharp tool in your pocket.That may not have sounded right ,but yall know what I meant.

Good Post. Just a muffler mod on the 361 makes a pretty big difference. Well worth the time and little money!

Very true, I read on here about people whining about the 361 and 441 being "strato" saws??? The 361 is a great leap forward in my opinion. I run both the 036 pro and the 361 in stock and now modded form and the 361 just plain kicks the 036 in all department (including price I will admit), but when I use my saws I use them to make money and I won't bitc$ about a little more cost for something faster and more efficient in the long run.

My next saw is going to be a 441 and its going straight to the sawman to get the porting and muffler work done. I don't really even care to start it up in stock form, as I know this 361 would put it to shame. I am going to see how close we can get to making 660ish power without the weight and without the horrible gas mileage that the 460 gets after being modded.

The Anti Vibe on the 361 is simply incredible (I assume the 441 is similiar), and it makes 14 hour cutting days no problem, especially when such days with a 660 will just about cause a full lock up the next morning, LOL.

My opinion,

Sam

Very true, I read on here about people whining about the 361 and 441 being "strato" saws??? The 361 is a great leap forward in my opinion. I run both the 036 pro and the 361 in stock and now modded form and the 361 just plain kicks the 036 in all department (including price I will admit), but when I use my saws I use them to make money and I won't bitc$ about a little more cost for something faster and more efficient in the long run.

My next saw is going to be a 441 and its going straight to the sawman to get the porting and muffler work done. I don't really even care to start it up in stock form, as I know this 361 would put it to shame. I am going to see how close we can get to making 660ish power without the weight and without the horrible gas mileage that the 460 gets after being modded.

The Anti Vibe on the 361 is simply incredible (I assume the 441 is similiar), and it makes 14 hour cutting days no problem, especially when such days with a 660 will just about cause a full lock up the next morning, LOL.

My opinion,

Sam

361 isnt strato charged. 441 is, and 441's av is a little better.

Also, the 361 aint gonna whip the 441, end of story...dont believe the idiots here bashing the 441, it runs pretty damn good in stock form.

The song is "Stihl #1" and the artist is "2K" aka Brian.

LOL, I was speaking about the lack of brightness among the husky cheerleaders. As in no brains.:)

Not even close, but here's another clue for thee,
Look in Bogue Cemetery in Leland Mississippi,

The quote on a headstone is close but it's wrong,
Headstone words were chiseled, the heart gave his song.

shooting off the hip.........

Not even close, but here's another clue for thee,
Look in Bogue Cemetery in Leland Mississippi,

The quote on a headstone is close but it's wrong,
Headstone words were chiseled, the heart gave his song.

Vern Gosdin?

If that's not it, I look at the clues.

Back