What model Husqvarna's are made by Poulan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyRumore

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused here as to which Husqvarna saws are suppose to be crappy compared to others.

Are there "real" husqvarna saws and fake Husqvarna/Poulan saws or what?

Is there a list of models between the two?

Tony Rumore
Tromix

235 & 240 are supposedly Poulans

I have a 2009 435 with a made in Sweden tag, it is a "true" Husqvarna
according to ST, but still a plastic frame saw like 440, 445, 450, 455, and 460.
Look to the XP for pro model Husqvarna's like 346 & 372.

Technically all Husky saws are Husky saws. Poulans are Huskys and so are Jonsereds. Husky owns Poulan so homeowner grade Husky is still a Husky just as a Chevy is a GM car and so is Cadillac.

The difference is in the target market and design. FWIW, my 141 is a "junky Poulvarna", but it cuts great and hasn't given me any trouble. Do I expect it to whip a 346? Hell no... I wouldn't expect a Malibu to beat a CTS-V...

Technically all Husky saws are Husky saws. Poulans are Huskys and so are Jonsereds. Husky owns Poulan so homeowner grade Husky is still a Husky just as a Chevy is a GM car and so is Cadillac.

The difference is in the target market and design. FWIW, my 141 is a "junky Poulvarna", but it cuts great and hasn't given me any trouble. Do I expect it to whip a 346? Hell no... I wouldn't expect a Malibu to beat a CTS-V...

I belive that Electrolux actually own Husky, Jred, poulan, And some other OPE companies. Husky doesn't own the others.

The OPE companies were split off into a separate company with Husqvarna at the top so technically Husqvarna does own them all.

Thats correct, read the excact same story on the partner home-page, there is a real good text about the story of Partner (and course of e-lux, also the other brands).
Husqvarna Rules :cheers:

Technically all Husky saws are Husky saws. Poulans are Huskys and so are Jonsereds. Husky owns Poulan so homeowner grade Husky is still a Husky just as a Chevy is a GM car and so is Cadillac...

You can say so, formally, but it isn't really true - the Huskys made by Poulan are said to be Husky designs, and contain a few Swedish made parts, but adapted to Poulans way of building saws (= cheaply).
No Poulans really are Huskys, or even Husky designs, and no Huskys are rebadged Poulans - even though Husky owns Poulan.

The affected Husky models by now are the 235 and 240, before that it was the 137 and 142, then 136 and 141, and then 36 and 41 (from 1990) - always the two cheapest at any given time. There also were a few "homowner" types before that, but then it wasn't systemic.

You can say so, formally, but it isn't really true - the Huskys made by Poulan are said to be Husky designs, and contain a few Swedish made parts, but adapted to Poulans way of building saws (= cheaply).
No Poulans really are Huskys, or even Husky designs, and no Huskys are rebadged Poulans - even though Husky owns Poulan.

The affected Husky models by now are the 235 and 240, before that it was the 137 and 142, then 136 and 141, and then 36 and 41 (from 1990) - always the two cheapest at any given time. There also were a few "homowner" types before that, but then it wasn't systemic.

I don't completely disagree, but your statement implies an independence of thought and operation for Poulan. Whether the "Poulvarna" saws are designed in the US or Sweden and contain US, Brasilian, Swedish, or Chinese parts, none of it happens without Swedish hegemony. If Poulans are cheap (and they are), it's only because Husqvarna Group wants it that way.

While we're on it, I'm a little less clear on Jred. I know what the saws are, but does Husky Group own Jred outright or is Jred owned by another entity and contracts for the saws. I ask because, in the US at least, the distribution chains are entirely seperate for the 2. Set me straight ST :D!

Well this thread got off course.........

So in the Husqvarna lineup, is it fair to say all the XP saws are professional use saws and the other may or may not be?

So in the Husqvarna lineup, is it fair to say all the XP saws are professional use saws and the other may or may not be?

Go to a dealer and get a catalog, all models are detailed out there. XPs' are all Pro, 353, 359 and 570 are mag crank case Pro like. 400 series is plastic case but good quality. 200 series are made by Poulan.

While we're on it, I'm a little less clear on Jred. I know what the saws are, but does Husky Group own Jred outright or is Jred owned by another entity and contracts for the saws. I ask because, in the US at least, the distribution chains are entirely seperate for the 2. Set me straight ST :D!

The Jonsered brand is owned by Husky, but the sales organizations are separate (not only in the US), even though the Husqvarna group is behind both (and several more). In some cases it is outsourced.

It is important (but not always easy) to see the difference between the Husqvarna group and the Husky sales organization. The picture can be quite difficult to read.....

Another important issue to remember is that the factories still are seperate, and not integrated, even though they have the same ultimate owner.

Regarding the saws, it is very different with Jonsered than with Poulan, as all the saws except the two cheapest ones are made at the Husky factory in Sweden, and are slightly different versions of Husky models. The two cheapest are made by Poulan, as with Husky. No saws are made at the Jonsered factory.

A third variant is with Partner, still another with Zenoah/Redmax, and there are more....

Last edited:

A few other saws are built like the xp ones (351, 353, 359, 365, 555, and 570 are the more recent ones), except the engine, and in some cases some minor details. Some say those are pro saws, others that they are not, and Husky can't make up their mind - the marketing has varied....

So a 272 is a poulan saw and ur saying there junk I thought 272 was suppossed to be a bada** saw ?:dizzy:

:laugh::laugh: I waited for that one - he tried to make it simple, but that sure has its pitfalls.....

If he restricted his post to the current models sold in the US, or current models made in Sweden or in the US, his post would have been correct! ;)

Thanks ST...

You guys think this is tough to get through, try sorting out the US bourbon industry...

Latest posts

Back