What plug for 395, RCJ6Y or RCJ7Y

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arky217

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I want to put a new plug in my 395XP, but not sure which one.
The plug that came in it is a RCJ6Y and the nearest Husky dealer says that's correct, however, the 395XP owners manual says RCJ7Y. Anyone know if both of these are valid choices and, if so, which would be better for milling or for running a little richer fuel mixture.

Thanks,
Arky

First of all, don't look for a Champion plug. I would go with any other brand IMO. The RCJ7Y is the number you want to use to convert from. I just replaced the plug in my newly acquired 394XPG and it had that plug in it.
I would look at iether Bosch or NGK. The NGK # is BPMR7A.
Hope this helps,
Chuck

First of all, don't look for a Champion plug. I would go with any other brand IMO. The RCJ7Y is the number you want to use to convert from. I just replaced the plug in my newly acquired 394XPG and it had that plug in it.
I would look at iether Bosch or NGK. The NGK # is BPMR7A.
Hope this helps,
Chuck

I dont know whay all you guys are against champion plugs.

How many cars out there on the road have them ??

A plug in a car is going to see a lot more use than a plug in a saw ever will.

Now, Im not saying that champ plugs are the best, but I certainly dont think there is anything wrong with them.

I have them in quite a few of my saws & no problems with them at all & some are quite old.

I dont know if all Champion plugs are made here in the states or not, but I sure as heck am going to buy a product made here before something that is imported.

Remember, the next job could be yours...........

It is beyond me how some of you guys worry about which plug (brand) is best for a saw.

Its a chain saw for Gods sake.

How many people replace thier plus once a year (or more) in thier OPE ??

If I put 30 hours a year on my push mower, thats equivilant to 1650 miles of highway driving in your car. How many of you put new plugs in your car that often ??

At this rate, a plug ought to last at least 20 years, before it actually wears out.

A spark plug either works (sparks) & is the proper heat range for the application or it is not. End of story.

Now, who knows what kind of oil I should be using in my saw & at what ratio................................................

I dont know whay all you guys are against champion plugs.

How many cars out there on the road have them ??

A plug in a car is going to see a lot more use than a plug in a saw ever will.

Now, Im not saying that champ plugs are the best, but I certainly dont think there is anything wrong with them.

I have them in quite a few of my saws & no problems with them at all & some are quite old.

I dont know if all Champion plugs are made here in the states or not, but I sure as heck am going to buy a product made here before something that is imported.

Remember, the next job could be yours...........

It is beyond me how some of you guys worry about which plug (brand) is best for a saw.

Its a chain saw for Gods sake.

How many people replace thier plus once a year (or more) in thier OPE ??

If I put 30 hours a year on my push mower, thats equivilant to 1650 miles of highway driving in your car. How many of you put new plugs in your car that often ??

At this rate, a plug ought to last at least 20 years, before it actually wears out.

A spark plug either works (sparks) & is the proper heat range for the application or it is not. End of story.

Now, who knows what kind of oil I should be using in my saw & at what ratio................................................

Good post, I agree 100%

Got some rep for ya!

My 394 came new with a champion RCJ6Y and the manual has RCJ7Y the origianl RCJ6Y is still in there .

Let me re-phase the question(s), please.
1) Of these two Champion plugs (RCJ6Y and RCJ7Y), which one of the two is the correct one for the Husky 395XP saw for normal usage?
And, (2) why did the saw come with the 6, yet the owners manual says the 7.
And, finally (3), (regardless of whichever plug is the correct one for normal usage) which one of these two plugs would be the best choice when the saw is used for milling, running a 40:1 mix ?

Thanks,
Arky

Let me re-phase the question(s), please.
1) Of these two Champion plugs (RCJ6Y and RCJ7Y), which one of the two is the correct one for the Husky 395XP saw for normal usage?
And, (2) why did the saw come with the 6, yet the owners manual says the 7.
And, finally (3), (regardless of whichever plug is the correct one for normal usage) which one of these two plugs would be the best choice when the saw is used for milling, running a 40:1 mix ?

Thanks,
Arky

Milling is hard use with the saw under load the whole time. The RCJ6Y is the colder of the two plugs and that is what I would use.

Back