What say you

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
typical fir/hemlock snag probably Fir, hard to tell from just the bark and a blurry video.

The only thing I see wrong is not a deep enough face, and a huge step dutch, you can see the damn thing stall just at it chairs.

I'm thinking that its a pro faller, hence why he took a vid of this one, and the fact that he kept looking up, and gettin the **** out. Most folks out here haven't a need for massive 5' bars on a daily or even yearly basis, so we make do... we don't get to cut old growth real often if at all anymore so the big big saws and the big big bars are really expensive and best left to the tree service folks, or the home saw mill types.

Snags like a fat face, and if possible fall em with the lean, wedging snags is an excellent way to get skewered.

! sure? should have chain binded it hey... cant always read what a tree is going to do! if you are cutting production, it will find you in a skip of a heart beat! he is/was a lucky dancer....

didya ever try dragging 20' of 3/8 chain and a binder 1000' down a cruddy steep slope? No? cause then you have to drag it back up with you when yer done, not to mention saw, gas-oil, water, lunch, wedges, axe, probably a spare bar and a handful of chains.

didya ever try dragging 20' of 3/8 chain and a binder 1000' down a cruddy steep slope? No? cause then you have to drag it back up with you when yer done, not to mention saw, gas-oil, water, lunch, wedges, axe, probably a spare bar and a handful of chains.
! NOPE! stand your ground! and take a chance like any other deep woods logger/faller ... only bound trees that were to be cut for veneer, didn't matter how deep in the brush you are when its part of the job.. some days are easy and diamonds. and others are hard an like stone!! all in a days work. there are jobs that you have to do what you don't want to or like to do to make a product keep its value!

I certainly would have cut a deeper notch above the hollow to release more compression wood, and get above the calloused wood around that hollow. Coos bay would have helped as well. You can see the chair start as soon as he hit that calloused wood, and that's all that's left standing at the end.

Theres almost no need to ever chain bind a tree in the woods. Especially a veneer tree. Learn to cut it up right.

Anyway, this tree could have been done without chairing but hind sight is 20/20. He had plenty of room to escape. Just a big rock and a slope up hill and no way to tell which way the bastard was going to go. I'll bet most of you who posted on how he could have done better would have **** your pants if it were you. Maybe even got killed in the process. ******** hapens at work.

Theres almost no need to ever chain bind a tree in the woods. Especially a veneer tree. Learn to cut it up right.

Anyway, this tree could have been done without chairing but hind sight is 20/20. He had plenty of room to escape. Just a big rock and a slope up hill and no way to tell which way the bastard was going to go. I'll bet most of you who posted on how he could have done better would have **** your pants if it were you. Maybe even got killed in the process. ******** hapens at work.
? ever cut ash veneer? most prevalent to split when felled, a 400.00 to 600.00 butt end(8'-10') will split and lose you a job with more than one damaged! chained ! is job security...

I've been cutting mostly ash for the last few months(oak wilt season), so yeah I've cut some veneer ash. The only time the chain comes out is to drag the log truck up to the landing. All in how you cut it.

I can't wait for yukon John to pop in to talk wrapping trees. Coaster will be along shortly too to tell me I don't know anything about west coast wood. Let me see. Some tags to really get this going- #westcoaststyle, #longbarsareforquitters, #eastcoastdontknowshit, #iusedtoorneverhavemademoneyfallingtimberbutiknowmorethanyoucauseyouliveeastofthepacificandhaveonlybeeninthewoodsforafewyearssorryonlyinthebushforafewyearscuztomebushisbetwixtaladieslegsbutheywhatdoiknow.

its ok all the trees out here are perfectly straight, never any lean, fall em where ever you want never even need a wedge we just carry them cause its fashionable, just an easy walk from the crummy down hill both ways, winds are always lightly off the water to cool yer sweat, rains but there is never any mud, 60 deg every day(well that parts sorta true), no limbs for the first 90 feet, and most importantly hardwood just don't exist and we dumb west coast guys just don't understand... its ash its going to chair...

Don't move here

Matt I'm pretty sure you and I would get along just fine. You going full time yet? Im pulling for you when you do.

PS- you're not one of the ones I would see ******** their pants!

Looks to me that the face is located to avoid the catface. Probably an old fire scar. Odds are it's deeper than it looks, and pointed more downhill and off-camera,. There's probably 4 kinds of wood in there -- green, rotten, charred, and fire-hardened. I'd have passed on that one unless crew safety required it, and even then I'd have tried to get machinery to knock it over before putting myself under it. Cutter did a fine job of skedaddling and that's all you can ask for. I hate rotten snags. They're very seldom worth the risk.

Matt I'm pretty sure you and I would get along just fine. You going full time yet? Im pulling for you when you do.

PS- you're not one of the ones I would see ******** their pants!

Not yet, had some set backs this year (paying for a re-fi out of pocket, clutches going TU, etc but still in the black as of may so not too shabby), am currently looking for a different day job though... thing with being a business owner is its really easy to see where other folks are ****ing up. Makes it hard to want to stay working for them.

With a little less bad luck, I'm hoping by the end of the year I'll have enough stashed away for a cushion, then its a matter of getting enough work to go for it.

re P.S. I think somewheres in the falling pics or maybe descriptive there is a pic of a massively chaired alder... looked a lot like that fir snag blowing up, its bad to look up and see stem above you moving rapidly.

From what is available to see (plenty MORE you cant), the live wood stayed while the junk wood gave up..
Coming in just a little further past the catface and opening the back up a few 3 inches would have probably saved the day.. I'm also not entirely sure what the pause in the middle of the back was for, but I doubt it helped matters.

Loggers ever use a plunge-cut? Would've eliminated any of these problems. But yeah, I would've filled my pants on that one... He might have too...

Back