What species is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustyw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cut this down today and thought it looked pretty cool. Have no idea what it is, anybody have any ideas? How could I keep this from cracking when it dries out? image.jpg image.jpg

Looks like some kind of maple to me but I'm super clueless. Could be a spalted sugar maple? Someone else will have better input.

My first thought was hickory, but blackjack oak is a good possibility, too. Hard to tell from the photos, but should make nice cookies. PEG will keep it from splitting, but is kinda expensive. I'd wrap the cookies in plastic, for now, until you figure out how to cure them.

Good luck.....BJO has this unbelievable tendency of doing whatever it feel like.

I turned this one green, rubbed in like 9coats of Tung Oil.
I took this photo immediately after that. It sat on my wife's end table for a few weeks, and it became a rocking chair and grew some really nice cracks.

I was told this would happen, but I didn't listen....it's art now!

Scott (sometimes stuff just doesn't work) B

Well I soaked it denatured alcohol for 24 hours and now it's wrapoed in newspaper. I guess if it cracks I have 16 more feet to try again. It does look like that bowl that black jack oak, but I never heard of that.

Well I soaked it denatured alcohol for 24 hours and now it's wrapoed in newspaper. I guess if it cracks I have 16 more feet to try again. It does look like that bowl that black jack oak, but I never heard of that.

Sixteen more feet of fun. Don't wait too long to turn more of it though...curlies are always fun and this stuff gets hard as it dries. Like Persimmon golf club heads kind of hard! I can always live with some movement in bowls, it's what makes them awesome...cracks, if they can be caught prior to finishing can be dealt with also(think bowties). Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.....

Scott (drive nails kind of hard) B

Not sure what to do with it, it's a few inches thick, maybe a clock or something simple. Not real sure how long to let it dry from the denatured alcohol.

Latest posts

Back