What to bring to first day on job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4American

Got Sawdust?
Reaction score
I gotta job offer for a logging company about an hour away from me, I'm going in next weekend to give it a shot. He said they're working a 1000 tree job right now. Sounded like a cool guy. I asked if it was strictly logging or did they do arborist stuff too like some other "logging" companies in this area. He said we dont trim no trees or paint no houses all we do is log :msp_biggrin: Said he buys breakfast and lunch for the crew. He said they have a timberjack 340 skidder its an early 2000s model. They also have a forwarder, feller buncher, and log truck. He provides the chainsaws too. He said that every member of the crew runs everything at a point. He's 60 years old, and has been logging all his life and wants steady work, he don't care if he gotta learn ya. I'm real excited about it. I'm going there to start as a timber faller.

Anyways, what should I bring for my first day? Here's my list so far, I know I'm missing stuff, would love for some extra advice:
-spencer tape
-doyle rule
-wedges and pouch
-ax and holster
-caulks
-water
-food
-346xp with 18" bar and h21 chain
-ms362 with 20" bar and round ground chisel chain
-461r with proberly 28" bar and rslhk chain.
-066 with 36" bar and some round ground chisel chain
-gas
-bar oil

Believe he provides the saw but I'll come prepared for whatever.
He says they work year round and sometimes 7 days a week through sunshine, wind, snow, hail, hot, cold, piss, ####...I said sounds good, means that the weather dont affect my income.

He said he starts new guys off at $100 a day and sees what they're worth from there on up. I did the math and I'll be spending approx $90 a week on diesel. Will definitely miss getting it for free from my current job.

I'm real excited to get outta the shop and get back to working in the woods full time.

Thanks for any responses!

I usually throw in a change of clothes, dry socks and such. Files. Snacks. Gloves. Snacks. And dont forget the snacks. Good luck!

I usually throw in a change of clothes, dry socks and such. Files. Snacks. Gloves. Snacks. And dont forget the snacks. Good luck!

Eyes and ears open, mouth shut, and bring extra work ethic.
+1

Rain gear, extra ear plugs, safety glasses, hard hat, good sense of humor, be willing to do whatever, find out if anyone on the crew uses tobacco- if so keep an extra can of chew in your gear. That'll make you friends fast.

Unless it was OG west coast status, I would have said goodbye after I heard it was a "1000 tree job",
That just sounds absolutely retarded for a logger to say......
Try it out though, just be prepared for the worst...

Unless it was OG west coast status, I would have said goodbye after I heard it was a "1000 tree job",
That just sounds absolutely retarded for a logger to say......
Try it out though, just be prepared for the worst...

yea, well, everyones a bit strange, I thought it sounded weird too, but shoot, the way he words things aint gonna change me wanting the job.

Eyes and ears open, mouth shut, and bring extra work ethic.

sir yes sir.

+1

Rain gear, extra ear plugs, safety glasses, hard hat, good sense of humor, be willing to do whatever, find out if anyone on the crew uses tobacco- if so keep an extra can of chew in your gear. That'll make you friends fast.

I forgot to mention alot of them things, my truck is loaded to the gills with lots of things since I work outta my truck on my current job. Loaded with all kinds of tools, chains, 5 hard hats, rain gear, carhart bibs, hats, box of earplugs, glasses, welding helmet, torch mask, face shield, always have two chainsaws, the list goes on and on. I got me a whole tub of stokers in my pickup (which is equivalent to about 10 cans of dip, maybe 11), I go through a tub about once a month gotta love em. Good thought there!

Run his saws and make sure you get payed THE FIRST TIME YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GET PAYED. If you get the runaround come first pay day, DO NOT work any more.. been through that whole mess before with lying ass rednecks... Good luck!

Run his saws and make sure you get payed THE FIRST TIME YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO GET PAYED. If you get the runaround come first pay day, DO NOT work any more.. been through that whole mess before with lying ass rednecks... Good luck!

good call. Isn't that a little odd to run the bossmans saws or is that standard procedure? At the farm I worked at I always ran my own saws and was taught that you never run someone elses saws, and they dont run yours. That boss was strange though

Wondering about what length/weight ax works good for a timber faller, and what's that ax holster that's made out of aluminum called and where can i get that?

Thanks!
Doug

good call. Isn't that a little odd to run the bossmans saws or is that standard procedure? At the farm I worked at I always ran my own saws and was taught that you never run someone elses saws, and they dont run yours. That boss was strange though

On the east coast it is very common. If you can run a saw that you are not paying for you might as well do it, unless you would rather run your own for performance reasons..

On the east coast it is very common. If you can run a saw that you are not paying for you might as well do it, unless you would rather run your own for performance reasons..

huh. well I just think it'd be awful if I by accident screwed up the bossmans saw. I also like a wrap handle, will have to see what he gots.

Isn't that a little odd to run the bossmans saws or is that standard procedure? At the farm I worked at I always ran my own saws and was taught that you never run someone elses saws, and they dont run yours.

Most logging crews around here provide saws. Even though they aren't "our" saws...they are "our" saws. With our small crew there are (5) saws, the boss', the loader operator, mine, and 2 back up. I personally wouldn't ever use my boss' saw simply because if he needs to go fall trees and it's maybe dull and I had been using it...well, that doesn't look good on me, whether I dulled it or not. Same goes with me, if the decking hand picked up my saw and went to cutting dirt covered skid up logs right before I was going to cut...I'd be pissed. Now if the boss grabs my saw I quickly remember it's "his" saw! :msp_biggrin: I can always re-sharpen if needed. :msp_rolleyes: Good luck! Sounds like a good boss!

This is going to seem bad, and really I don't mean anything about it, but...How come you to have so many saws and so much gear but are asking what to bring to the jobsite? Did you used to log for someone some time ago? Just curious...I'm envious of you saw collection actually. :laugh:

I gotta job offer for a logging company about an hour away from me, I'm going in next weekend to give it a shot. He said they're working a 1000 tree job right now. Sounded like a cool guy. I asked if it was strictly logging or did they do arborist stuff too like some other "logging" companies in this area. He said we dont trim no trees or paint no houses all we do is log :msp_biggrin: Said he buys breakfast and lunch for the crew. He said they have a timberjack 340 skidder its an early 2000s model. They also have a forwarder, feller buncher, and log truck. He provides the chainsaws too. He said that every member of the crew runs everything at a point. He's 60 years old, and has been logging all his life and wants steady work, he don't care if he gotta learn ya. I'm real excited about it. I'm going there to start as a timber faller.

Anyways, what should I bring for my first day? Here's my list so far, I know I'm missing stuff, would love for some extra advice:
-spencer tape
-doyle rule
-wedges and pouch
-ax and holster
-caulks
-water
-food
-346xp with 18" bar and h21 chain
-ms362 with 20" bar and round ground chisel chain
-461r with proberly 28" bar and rslhk chain.
-066 with 36" bar and some round ground chisel chain
-gas
-bar oil

Believe he provides the saw but I'll come prepared for whatever.
He says they work year round and sometimes 7 days a week through sunshine, wind, snow, hail, hot, cold, piss, ####...I said sounds good, means that the weather dont affect my income.

He said he starts new guys off at $100 a day and sees what they're worth from there on up. I did the math and I'll be spending approx $90 a week on diesel. Will definitely miss getting it for free from my current job.

I'm real excited to get outta the shop and get back to working in the woods full time.

Thanks for any responses!

Do not forget tp have a roll of black tap in your pouch for first aid purpose and other things.

Most logging crews around here provide saws. Even though they aren't "our" saws...they are "our" saws. With our small crew there are (5) saws, the boss', the loader operator, mine, and 2 back up. I personally wouldn't ever use my boss' saw simply because if he needs to go fall trees and it's maybe dull and I had been using it...well, that doesn't look good on me, whether I dulled it or not. Same goes with me, if the decking hand picked up my saw and went to cutting dirt covered skid up logs right before I was going to cut...I'd be pissed. Now if the boss grabs my saw I quickly remember it's "his" saw! :msp_biggrin: I can always re-sharpen if needed. :msp_rolleyes: Good luck! Sounds like a good boss!

This is going to seem bad, and really I don't mean anything about it, but...How come you to have so many saws and so much gear but are asking what to bring to the jobsite? Did you used to log for someone some time ago? Just curious...I'm envious of you saw collection actually. :laugh:

I used to work at a sawmill, I still do work there and help out where I can, but anyways, at the sawmill I mainly bucked wood to go to the mill and cut wood for firewood (we boil our maple syrup and he heats his house with firewood so I cut and split lots of firewood) When we'd clear land, he'd do most of the felling, teaching me stuff and he'd let me drop em every so often, but he was the main guy. Since it wasn't me felling all the time, I didn't carry much. We'd keep the gas and bar oil and other stuff on the 450-B since it was a slow moving two man operation. I ain't never had the title timber faller. So I ain't sure what all to bring. I never worked for a logging company, just for the farm and that wasn't really all that impressive of a logging operation. I'm just all sorts of excited and not sure what to expect plus I have a very...short...memory

Latest posts

Back