What to look for in a processor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are great comments. It sounds as if processing without re-splitting is dream world stuff.
It sounds like it takes a minimum of two to run/feed a processor. And a third person to sort splits. Which means what in terms of man hours per cord?
japa have an interesting new processor model

Kiwi, I am not convinced that a one man operation, with high production, and minimal re-splits, couldnot be obtainable. I do think it would take a considerable investment. Since this thread has started I have seen a lot of good suggestions, comments and ideals. To make resplitting minimal and just a one man operation, you really have few choices. One of course is cull your logs so that everything is pretty uniform in size going into the processor. Not a real good option since every tree isnt the same. Another option would be to split the logs into similar sizes that would pass thru the processor and use a adjustable wedge that would give even sized splits as the rounds pass thru the wedge. This method would mean handling the wood more, but your not handling every single round for re-split. To make it work as a one man operation, you would need someway to load the rounds for pre-splitting and then put them on the processor without leaving the operator station of the processor. I think this would be do-able with the processor I have planned since I do plan a knuckleboom loader mounted on my processor. Since the processor already has a power supply and plenty of hydraulics, it would only be a matter of plumbing a long stroke splitter into the current hydraulic circuits. and add an extra control valve at the operator station. This should work pretty well as long as the logs to be processed are within reach of the knuckleboom loader. Any log that was to big to pass thru the processor, or if it passed thru the processor would give off rounds that would need resplitting, could be picked up using the loader, split in the long stroke splitter and then laid up on the processor deck to be bucked and pushed thru the adjustable wedge. All this done without the operator needing to get out of his seat or using another piece of equipment to handle the logs. The long stroke splitter could be picked up by the loader and loaded oon top of the processor for transport and easily setup on the ground once on location. You could take this process one step further and rig up a buck saw for sawing the logs into lenghts that would fit on the long stroke splitter. All these extras would be expensive but would make a one man operaton pretty productive with out a lot of sweat and hard work since the machine would be doing most everything. This setup might be a dream world, but I think doable for someone dedicated to getting it done.

Kiwi, I like that but looks like a lot of moving parts and moving parts mean wear and repair. I really like the way it puts the big splits back for resplit. I have a Japa that I bought at an auction sale. The slides where the wedge runs on were only 1/4" material and are worn through. Going to be a winter job to replace them.

Wonder what the idea of the shaker table is? Would be a nice kindling or small bundle wood maker.

Valley, I'm guessing it's there because this thing makes a mountain of small chips and slivers. Some day soon processors are going to get computerized just like the big saw mills and adjust for every log size on their own.
I would have to search Youtube, but there already computerized processors out there. They use sensors to determine center and adjust the wedge automaticly.
Looking at the Japa, the shaker table is dropping the splitters onto a conveyor, I guess to either bag for kindling or just to get them out of the way. While I think the splitting design works pretty well, it sort of reminds me of the Tempest. A pretty good design for a splitter, not sure how it will effect productivity as a processor. Sure it eliminates a lot of labor while resplitting so that is a time/back savings, but your still doing a lot of re-splitting, your just not handling each round by hand. Not sure just how much time is actually saved. One thing for sure, If I had one, I could make good use of it.

I was watching YouTube last night and Posch has a "firewood factory" that had a really neat firewood cleaner.

It's the deal with orange funnel in this video:
this HTML class. Value is https://m.youtube.co

Hmmm.. damn board STILL won't take cut and paste links.
Search Posch Firewood Factory on youtube. Video is by Forestmachines.

I offload the conveyor in trucks and we stack it so all the junk is shoveled into wheelbarrows and eventually bonfire or put in the shop stove. Get on average a non heaped wheelbarrow load per cord. Mostly bark and odd and end slivers. The tiny splits, like 1" I put in with the load, they are great kindling.

Also by stacking it allows me to put a hand on every piece and inspect... too big, rotten, split weird, too long, etc. I try to pull most out right at the processor but get too fussy with examining each piece and it really slows things down.

Hi muddstopper, I agree there is room in many one person systems for high production. I suspect there are many of us on this site who are keen to see your creation when done. I know I sure am. You guys have skills I can appreciate but never emulate.
In Sandhill's case I assumed he was buying-in cord wood that while varying, most of it isn't too out of shape. If that's not the case, then I suspect many processors available will not be optimum.
For minimising handling, etc, I haven't seen anything that doesn't create a fair amount of trash/scrap. However, if it produces enough nice firewood fast enough, lasts, and doesn't cost the earth and is safe, then I guess it's worth the trash wood piles, which Valley says he has buyers for.
Cantoo, thanks for that info. It's always great to learn about how various engineering ideas handle real world use and how much maintenance they need or how they suffer if neglected.
Perhaps an auto cycling tempest with the wood return feature might get maximum splitting per stroke and handle varying wood

Kiwi, Cant wait to get back to my processor build. Tearing my rotator cuff last year, (surgery in sept) and my knee replacement this year, pretty much put a stop to any shop work over the last year. Still recuperating the knee replacement. Doctors and therapist are saying I waited way to long before having my knee worked on and It most likely will never reach full flexibility because the muscles have shrunk to much. I originally hurt my knee playing football back in grade school and again in the mid 1970's. Docs, wanted to replace it about 9 year ago, but I kept putting it off. Paying for it now, but I had to pay the bills back then. Been 3 months since knee replacement and I still cant do much walking without serious swelling.

One difference I noticed between the tempest splitting wedges and the Japa wedges is the angle of the wedges. The Tempest uses a flat top wedge and you pull the wood back by hand for re-splitting, and the Japa uses a Vee top wedge and pulls the wood back on return stroke. For more even splits and automatic return feed, I think the Japa will give the least amount of splinters and junk. The Vee of the wedge I am sure matches the vee of the trough so the wood should self center for re-split, or it looks that way to me. I would like to get my hands on one for a few days just to try it out. I dont think the Japa is capable of processing a large majority of the wood I get, but I didnt see a size limit mentioned. Probably listed somewhere, but I didnt see it. I dont think there is any size restriction for the Tempest and only limited to what you can pickup and place on the machine

Mudd, the Japa I bought can only cut about an 11" piece, it's a circular saw style and is a little smaller than 24" blade. They make many different models though. Keep in mind that most European models are designed for smaller wood which is what they usually use over there.

I have two 24', or maybe slightly bigger circle saw blades off one of those tree limbing rigs. Been trying to find a use for them. Was talking with my son this evening and we are thinking about redoing my wood splitter, going back to my original processor plans using a winch to pull the log up and bucking with some sort of saw. I dont think the circular blades I have would be of much use, but I do have another hyd motor for a hyd chainsaw. I might have to ship my circle saw blades to you and let you find a use for them.

I still think the most efficient machines for big wood are the vertical splitters. Doesn't require big steel and big engine. Build a roller infeed table and you can get splits onto the conveyor quickly.
I like these splitters a lot. In the end I bought the TW-6 instead.
The fact is one splitter, or even one processor, is not going to do all things well. In the end, I think I am going to buy a welder, and take a second welding class this Fall. The object being to build a live log deck of some length. The cut table I am using is built of timbers, has taken a beating with ten plus semi loads of logs. It is also some what dangerous when logs roll off the front. The log deck is the first of a couple ideas to improve what I'm doing with minimal expense for the time being, and when the time comes, can be used with a stationary processor. I'll continue to look at new and used processors online. As I said in the beginning, probably three years out.
The comments/contributions on this thread have helped a lot with prioritizing. Thanks.

Back