What You Should Do If You Get Hurt in the Woods When Alone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great points. The whistle also needs to be attached to your suspenders high enough that you can simply turn your head to blow in it. AAANNNNDDDDD you always need to make sure that you're listening for your partner and vice versa! I realize this thread is about what to do on your own, but I get the sense that more often than not this just isn't happening. Hand held radios are much better, but whistles are still essential. My guys always make a plan in the morning about who their listening for. Shut the saw off and listen. At the minimum, every tank, but myself and my guys do it multiple times a tank. Could mean the difference for a guy's life. And if it's ever found that a guy isn't listening for his partner, well, lets just say that's usually not a good scene.

Great points. The whistle also needs to be attached to your suspenders high enough that you can simply turn your head to blow in it. AAANNNNDDDDD you always need to make sure that you're listening for your partner and vice versa! I realize this thread is about what to do on your own, but I get the sense that more often than not this just isn't happening. Hand held radios are much better, but whistles are still essential. My guys always make a plan in the morning about who their listening for. Shut the saw off and listen. At the minimum, every tank, but myself and my guys do it multiple times a tank. Could mean the difference for a guy's life. And if it's ever found that a guy isn't listening for his partner, well, lets just say that's usually not a good scene.

Well said.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the "SPOT" device. Because of the economic situation I have to do most of the falling by myself. I carry the SPOT device and a whistle. I wear leg protection now, but didn't for 25 years and only took a few stitches.

I carry my phone , a large revolver and my whistle.. When working alone . When cutting on a crew sometimes they issue radios which I wear on a chest pack . But I always wear a whistle . .

I wish I could find the Acme Thunder whistles I used to get from Bailey's in the early 80s . They were LOUD and they always worked .

Hillbilly : if the skidder is old enough that the wheel has lost its coating . The poor old thing needs to be treated easy . Go slower . I havn't seen a restraint in a skidder in a long time . . Skidders get used on ground that should be tower or skidder logged . That may not be an option for your crew. What skidder is it . Got any pics ??????? Pics are great . Really like :kidder pics . :heart:

Mountain Logger skidders had a pretty impressive harness for the operator
Picture10.jpg

Hypocrisy

It should never be a situation to consider. If you don't have a partner go home. If a partner is not an option find a different job. If your stubborn and take the risk and get whacked enjoy the pain and suffering your dealt for you earned it!

Just wanted to admit and document my hypocrisy. It was a while ago that I made this post, and recently I began logging for myself. I opted to cut costs by not hiring help in my startup and working ridiculous hours. I did have someone to check on me, but it was kind of one of those deals where if my wife called them out of concern because it was dark and I was not home, they would come out and check on me........Every time my dad showed up to see me skidding logs at night and bucking tree lengths under artificial light he would curse me for my stupidity, and swear that if I was that dumb he would no longer concern himself with my safety.....poor old feller kept coming out to the job and cursing me though! The whole time I was working alone out there the memory of this post that I made would flash at me, and have been wanting to confront it for some time. What I have learned from this is that one should always look at all angles before voicing your opinion. I was just looking at this subject from one point of view......one of a hired cutter, not from a startup and or struggling self employed logger. I still stand behind my original post (if id a got whacked out there by myself id a only had myself to blame) but would have worded it differently. Sometimes you just find yourself in the situation, "Hire someone and go broke, or do it yourself and make a little." The financial situations we are in determine the choices we make, and I do respect the risk taker, although, if you get caught in the bite..........Enjoy the misery!

Well , thanks for your forthrightness . . Your gainin oner . . Where is your cell phone . .????????

I keep in touch with my wife thruout the day. Eventho she is 25 miles away she has an idea something went wrong if I don't check in on time . I used to have her cuttersit / bear watch in Southeast for me . As she knows how deadly falling and logging are she can deal with it as she prays LOTS !!
I woyld rather have her praying for me than to have an emt team and a critical care center on the landing . .

Communication is good . Gives me something to look fwd to on 1st and 2 nd lunch . Makes home time more peacefull I've found . Plus she has had to come rescue me a few times when the truck stoppedgoing home that day . When its cold ya don't have much time for mistakes or breakdowns when your drenched with sweat and dog tired .

Your welcome and thanks. They still do not have cell service in Weippe Idaho unless you are standing in just the right spot.......I'm never standing in the right spot!!!!lol

There is a Comms site right above me . I switched carriers to the one with the best coverage in our area . Helps stay intouch with new customers . Some seriously convoluted subdevisions . I figured all of downsouth would be a blanket of coverage . Guess not .

Cb radios work ?

I always work alone and am just mending from a broken leg... March 23rd was working on my job in Va., camped 4 hours from home with team of horses and my rottie.. Was planning on heading home that evening for the weekend after log truck got loaded... Was cutting in the mornin and got bit by a 4-5"ironwood under pressure and there I layed with both bones broke off lower left leg... Thank God had cell service, called landowner n told him where on his 175 acres I was laying he headed out on his gator and called rescue team.. Then I called my girl friend at work here in Pa. she then contacted my family, then called people where I pasture boarded my horses on weekends to come get my team.. The landowner loves my dog so gave him key to my camper and he kept him til the next evening when I was released and headed home to Pa............. May 09' here in Pa. was felling on a job one evening tripped before could hit the switch or brake and couldnt get the saw out away from me and my arm came down on the bar, yep hit an artery and was covered in blood before I got on my feet.. No cell service, was up in the middle of nowhere only 200 yards from my truck so didnt have my pack on, no rags.. Took my noze rag from my back pocket held my arm up with pressure started walking for the truck thinking keep your heart rate down.. Got to truck drove down to the landowners house with my elbow and realized when I got into their driveway the blood was stopped thank God again:)!!

Great Thread! When I'm line cutting on a crew, each cutter has a radio, GPS, map, 1st aid kit, whistle, PPE. I also carry flares, a multi-tool & a knife. Each cutter is usually 100m from the next one, so we check in on the radio every time we shut off to gas up or chain the line. If I'm claim staking, I'll be working alone but anywhere from 400m to 2km from the other stakers on the crew. When staking, I can carry more weight in my bag so I bring extra food. We always have our days planned ahead (who's meeting up with who and what route out of the bush).

Blow Out Kits

Gents;

My first post. Prefaced by, I'm not a logger.

A blow out kit, is familiar to anyone that has recently served in the military (Thank you!), and it's use is taught to everyone. It is designed to treat the three treatable injuries that can kill you before help can reach you. They are; massive extremity bleeding, tension pneumo thorax, and airway compromise.

These kits usually consist of pre made/purpose built tourniquet(s), a battle dressing (or 2), wound packing material (Kerlix), hemostatic agent of some kind, a nasopharingeal airway (that fits you), duck tape, gloves and a 14g (or 12 or 10g) x 3 1/2" angiocath (to vent a tension pneumo thorax). More can be added, but this covers the basics.

Sounds like rocket science, but, how to use the contents can be learned in a day. You need to be familiar with the contents prior to use, practice.

I read a story of a logger that got cut by his saw. Coms was available, and help (EMS, helo) was dispatched, but street protocols don't necessarily work in the back country. It was a large operation and chain of command/egos confused things. In the end, the guy bled out and died.

I wasn't there, but as an outsider looking in, a tourniquet might have saved him. This is about self aid/buddy aid.

Respectfully submitted.

Regards, Jim

ETA: To this, add the whistle (Fox-40), aluminized blanket/space blanket, chem light sticks, those air activated hot packs, water/food, etc.

Last edited:
I'm not a pro. I do most of my work alone. I WILL be putting myself a medi kit together!

> Make sure someone knows where you're going and when you'll be back. Leave a note at the house before you leave.

> Wear your f****** PPE

> Always use common sense and keep your head on a swivel in the woods.

Tons of useful and life saving suggestions here.

This was me on the 16th of September 2013. I don't know what happened except for the fact I don't fit in a stokes and was able to get up and walk around with help while we waited for the helicopter. If I know one thing for sure I won't cut that tree again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 94
I will be cutting again soon just have a little numbness in thumbs. I had a bit of numbness before so what the heck might as well grab a saw and go for it!

Couple Comments, To Reiterate What Others Have Said and Add My Own:
-A Wilderness Triage Class is great, some of the survivalist guys have started having classes taught by medics and EMT's for when SHTF potentially. Also good.
-If you can find someone to show you how to use a suture and cat gut, do so.
-You can get sutures that have expired online, keep them sterile and they're safe to use.
-Your Suture Needles can be sourced in medical grade online expired or through taxidermy shops.
-Maxi Pads, Tampons, Duct Tape, Super Glue, Butterfly Bands- They're your friends
-If you see a set of broken golf clubs some place with graphite shafts, take the shafts, put them behind the seat of your truck, they make great splints
-If you don't run into golf clubs with graphite clubs to rob shafts from, consider cutting some hard wood long splints.
-Get a Good First Aid Kit
-Augment Your Good First Aid Kit With a Dissection Kit(I got mine when I worked for a university at the campus bookstore)
-If you know someone in MMA/Boxing/Contact Sports or if you don't look online on MMA forums or Boxing Forums- you wanna find a cut man and ask where he gets his coagulents. In a pinch, that stuff can save your bacon. I'd rather not say where I got mine. Go to a local MMA or Boxing Gym, there is one in Sylva, so I know there has to be one near you.

Stop bleed... from the feed store... werks great, and who cares where you get it from, the other stuff is more iffy, sutures and needles from the enter web... Thats just asking for some face eating mega virus.

Couple of triangle bandages, duct tape and maybe some large bandages should be all you need to get to a hospital. Splints can be made on site out of damned near anything, and if you need to start your own stitches it means your not allowed in hospitals which means you have bigger concerns than bleeding to death.

Back