Whats a 020t worth??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks allot. He said probably $200 for it, I was thinking it was a little high considering it doesn't really run. He's not 100% certain he is going to sell or not. I will find out soon hopefully.

If he's smart.. he'll keep it for parts for his others.. tanks, handles, recoil clutch parts, oiler etc etc.. way over $200...

If he's smart.. he'll keep it for parts for his others.. tanks, handles, recoil clutch parts, oiler etc etc.. way over $200...

Ya but I wont tell him that, he has 3 of them, and complaning that only 1 is working per time, I guess he doesn't take care of them, he wants to trade them all in, and get new ones. Maybe I'll buy all 3, fix them up and flip em. Make a few $$$

"lean on starting", pause in accel, or bad idle.. Check the price of new carbs... if they are over 2 years old, 50-50 chance you'll need one.

My 020 isn't the prettiest saw in the truck but I wouldn't sell it for $225.00 it is perfect for what it was designed for and its (plastic) replacement is around $400.00 here.
Mike

Whats the reason for needing a new carb?? Can they not be repaired?

If it's not the usual stuff.. generally no. Zama had a QC problem.. The accelerator pump galls the carb body. The C1Q61,61A, B and C fail. The D seems to be holding in somewhat ok, and the 61E is latest.

sadly, many would...

I won't.. I work on way too many of these... and write the repair bills and estimates for the worn out saws. Very few pro's sell their 020T or 200T unless there is a problem. We do have one big customer that runs them hard for 2-3 years, then before they finally die, sells them for $200-250 and buys new. Not bad.. $100 a year capital depreciation, or $2 a week!!!

I need a guilotine in the shop. Chop them in half when they are worn out. Save another tech from hair tearing:D

I just happened to have one of these brought in to the shop on Friday and its the first time for me to work on one. They look like a PITA to work on, its not getting gas so something to do with the fuel lines, will check it over and post findings. The throttle linkage from the carb to the front pivot looks a little hard to deal with so I pushed the roll pin out and dropped the pivot and both throttle rods, hope I can get that back in place later! Will up date tonight.

Pioneerguy600

Be careful if it was used in a business I can almost guarantee it had the piss run out of it. I would rather buy saws with low compression for 30-50 dollars and slap a new or used oem cyl and piston on it repair everything and have a cheap prosaw that I went through top to bottom. I won't buy a used saw unless I know the person that ran it. Offer 100 after checking it out.

550 to 600$$ tom trees:popcorn:

I just happened to have one of these brought in to the shop on Friday and its the first time for me to work on one. They look like a PITA to work on, its not getting gas so something to do with the fuel lines, will check it over and post findings. The throttle linkage from the carb to the front pivot looks a little hard to deal with so I pushed the roll pin out and dropped the pivot and both throttle rods, hope I can get that back in place later! Will up date tonight.

Pioneerguy600

I found they are actually not that hard to work on. I left all the linkages in place and just pulled the carb out, and disconnected them as I was pulling the carb out.

Guess I should have done it that way bu leaving the linkages in and together but it went back together no problem. The carb was full of crap,screen blocked pretty well, bad pickup filter with a rip in the screen. The impulse line deteriorated,cracked and swollen with no sealing on either end. The rubber gas pickup line was too loose a fit around the carb attaching nipple so there was no seal there. Fixed that for now with a short piece of thin wall tygon on the nipple and pushed inside the rubber line at the grommet through the gas tank. It picks up gas and runs pretty well, I will take it out and cut some wood with it after lunch. If it gives me a hard time with keeping adjustments set up you recommend a new carb over a kit?
Oh I guess I should have mentioned that this is a one owner saw just used around the yard for pruning and small stuff,, it has great comp and not at all beat up., only a little dirty as most homeowners don`t have compressed air and seldom wash there saws off with any kind of cleaner,even soap and water.
Pioneerguy600

Guess I should have done it that way bu leaving the linkages in and together but it went back together no problem. The carb was full of crap,screen blocked pretty well, bad pickup filter with a rip in the screen. The impulse line deteriorated,cracked and swollen with no sealing on either end. The rubber gas pickup line was too loose a fit around the carb attaching nipple so there was no seal there. Fixed that for now with a short piece of thin wall tygon on the nipple and pushed inside the rubber line at the grommet through the gas tank. It picks up gas and runs pretty well, I will take it out and cut some wood with it after lunch. If it gives me a hard time with keeping adjustments set up you recommend a new carb over a kit?
Oh I guess I should have mentioned that this is a one owner saw just used around the yard for pruning and small stuff,, it has great comp and not at all beat up., only a little dirty as most homeowners don`t have compressed air and seldom wash there saws off with any kind of cleaner,even soap and water.
Pioneerguy600

Did ya check the intake boot? They rip easy, when the rear handle mount goes.

All is fine with the 020, it does everything it should, pretty fast little saw in small wood and tree branches 3 to 6". I dles and runs WOT just fine oils good so back it goes to make another customer happy. Are parts still available from the dealers or Stihl for this saw , especially the pre moulded gas line from tank to carb? I would advise the owner that a new one should be ordered if they are available. Thanks for all the info so far. Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
All is fine with the 020, it does everything it should, pretty fast little saw in small wood and tree branches 3 to 6". I dles and runs WOT just fine oils good so back it goes to make another customer happy. Are parts still available from the dealers or Stihl for this saw , especially the pre moulded gas line from tank to carb? I would advise the owner that a new one should be ordered if they are available. Thanks for all the info so far. Pioneerguy600

Yup I think all is still availiable. At least the parts I ordered for one was availiable.

Yup I think all is still availiable. At least the parts I ordered for one was availiable.

Ok thanks,will call the Stihl dealer tomorrow and see if he will try to order in a gas line for it and a carb kit to keep on hand , the carb works fine for now but who knows for how long. Pioneerguy600

Loads of great information here!
But I missed one simple fix, check to make sure the spark screen is clean or removed, the 020/200's run much better with them out.

I have an old 020t that I found abandoned under the elecricity poles on our property...it needed a new clutch, bar and chain, air filter to get it going, then it ran ok. Only thing was it would bog in a big cut, I switched out the old one jet carb for a two jet, retuned it and it showed improvement, but still bogging when buried or cutting really hard timber.
Well I finally got an IPL and figured out where the spark screen was, (I thought it had been out all this time), I pulled it out and oh boy, it was absolutely chokka with carbon. I left it out, put the screw back in the hole, and now my old 020t runs like a scalded cat, no more bogging...!

Back