Whats a complete CSM kit worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRider

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
central coast area of California, home to all the
Lately I've been toying with the idea of selling my milling set up. I'm 54 and have a stockpile of 200 slabs so I think I can stop milling and concentrate on using the wood. So whats a fair price ? Here is a list of what I'll sell....if I sell:

Stihl 075 powerhead- in great shape
Stihl 051 powerhead- used and abused but has a newish top end and oil pump
Woodsmanpro 42" bar
Stihl 24" bar
3 loops of milling chain fo rthe 42" bar
2 cant hooks
48" granberg mill with aux oiler
a couple gal of Stihl bio oil
box of misc stuff including box of round files, oregon filing jig, spare rebuilt carb, 2 spare air filters a few bottles of mix oil.

I'm not fishing for offers and I would kind of like to sell everything as a whole kit, maybe even offering to go along and teach the buyer some of what I've learned in the 20+ years I've been milling.

200 slabs? We sell slabs as firewood! $100 for a rack full which is around a cord.

I would think that I would buy all that crap for eight hundred or so Canadian Pesos.
Saws/bars, chains no more than 5 bills, not knowing the history and not believing that they were owned by a little old lady who just used them on Sundays..
Mill with oiler, 2 bills max, maybe a tad more depending on how shiny she be..
Throw in another hundred for the other stuff..
Not meaning to offend you but that is what I see the value is.
Good luck with the sale..
G Vavra

I don't think kimosawboy is far off. I have a brand new 660 with 36" and 25" bars and a 36" granberg. The saw with both bars and a couple extra chains bar and chain oil was 1200. So everything was less than 1500. I see sellers remorse too, Joe.

200 slabs? We sell slabs as firewood! $100 for a rack full which is around a cord.

No one around here is burning 36" wide 2" thick slabs of walnut. If you are calling the cap cut, or the first cut of a log, a slab then yeah that's fire wood and not what I have. Take a look at my avitar and if you are selling that for $100/cord then I'll take one of walnut, an one of olive.

We call those live edge boards. Slabs are what comes off a log to make a cant, cant is resawn into lumber.

I would think that I would buy all that crap for eight hundred or so Canadian Pesos.
Saws/bars, chains no more than 5 bills, not knowing the history and not believing that they were owned by a little old lady who just used them on Sundays..
G Vavra

No offence taken. I was hoping that I might be able to get $1,000 for the lot so $800 isn't that far off. I think it will be a hard sell partly because many people have no idea what either of my saws are and think the 051 is some dinky fire wood saw instead of the 89cc beast that it is. I've only been thinking about selling for a couple of months. It's all stored on a shelf above the door in my shop so it not like its in the way. The thought of sellers remorse has crossed my mind more than once so I'll think on it for a few more months before I sell.

We call those live edge boards. Slabs are what comes off a log to make a cant, cant is resawn into lumber.

I've always milled through because it is faster to do with a chainsaw when milling on location. Around here that type of board is referrd to as either a live edge board, a live edge slab, or just a slab, very trendy lately too.

G Vavra
With 200 live edge boards left after 20 years if IIRC prolly made a thing or two over that time. Those work saws did a bit of work except for me there is an enjoyment in operating my set up, and calling over spectators to see OMG of that brand new view of green plank which is gonna fade into history never to be seen again. Just my way of pointing out what i'll miss when I can't continue.

I've always milled through because it is faster to do with a chainsaw when milling on location. Around here that type of board is referrd to as either a live edge board, a live edge slab, or just a slab, very trendy lately too.

Here in Oz we call any "full width live edge cut", a slab, although that is often confused with the other slab - a flat pack carton of beer cans.
There's also slab currency, how many (beer ) slabs for work done, the other currency is "carton", of beer of course,

Latest posts

Back