What's A Wood Snob?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my part of Washington State....where predominantly soft woods are available in the area where we live.....a wood snob is somebody who only burns Tamarack or Red Fir....and turns down anything else. I'll burn anything....pine, poplar, cedar, firs of course, on special occasion...black locust, maple, and birch. still waiting for some Madrona....one day. That straight grain red fir is sooo nice, great heat output and not very ashy.

Dow

When people back hear, in the East, say you can't burn Pine, I used to think of all the folks out west. I think it was in the 70's Rutgers University did a study and found that if you dried Pine you had no more risk of chimney fires. I've also read that Tamarack and Red Fir burn well. I just started this thread funning with everyone. Like I was getting ready to tease LondonNeil. It was a little over 90* today and I bucked and loaded a cord of rounds on my dump trailer to give to a friend. All White and Red Oak. See, friends don't give friends Pine, Joe.

Neil, I forgot to take a pic of the pile of wood I dumped at my buddy's house. I worked for about 4 hours bucking and loading my trailer, yesterday. Drank a 20 ounce bottle of water every hour. Never felt overworked. Came home sat down at the computer to check on every one, drank one beer, no light beer in my house. Got up to take a shower and made it into the kitchen and both quads cramped up. I couldn't move my legs for almost 20 minutes. Then my shoulder and right arm cramped all night long. I guess that's what I get for teasing every one. Must have dehydrated even though I felt good working. Thanks for the video, I enjoyed that, Joe.

Neil, I forgot to take a pic of the pile of wood I dumped at my buddy's house. I worked for about 4 hours bucking and loading my trailer, yesterday. Drank a 20 ounce bottle of water every hour. Never felt overworked. Came home sat down at the computer to check on every one, drank one beer, no light beer in my house. Got up to take a shower and made it into the kitchen and both quads cramped up. I couldn't move my legs for almost 20 minutes. Then my shoulder and right arm cramped all night long. I guess that's what I get for teasing every one. Must have dehydrated even though I felt good working. Thanks for the video, I enjoyed that, Joe.

I came home on leave from the AF. Dad was doing a small roofing job on a garage so I climbed up there to give him a hand. It was HOT up there. Finished the job, grabbed a cold beer, chugged it and went flat on the ground.

Oouch! I know that feeling. Right now hold on while I convert to my units (20oz...that's a real, British pint, ah I know that), sounds like you drank plenty but didn't take any electrolytes/salts, try adding some of those, or eating a handful salty snacks like crisps...err that's chips to you guys, every little break.

Yeah, I'm retired now, and was really taking it easy. When I was working, UPS delivery driver, I used to take salt tablets. My doctor said my blood pressure was good so the salt wouldn't hurt me. I'm 61 now and my blood pressure is usually about 119/74, but I've cut way back on the salt, Joe.

Wood snob? Not really. It's all about return on your effort. How many hours did you work and how many BTU's did you bring home? If there's oak available, I'm not wasting my time on white fir. Once the oak is gone, then go get the doug fir, the ponderosa or white fir. Start out eating high on the hog. If you're still hungry, eat the pig's feet.

I like the Op don't consider myself a wood snob my wood for heating comes by way of being in part lieu of wages for the servicing i carry out for a commercial logging company It is always best quality & 99%of the time Oak mostly uniform dia & cut into metre lengths so all I'm required to do is cut into 2 or3 piece lengths dependent on which wood burner requires it.Im also on a 2 for 1 ie I get 2cubic metres for what i would have to pay for one & at the moment I'm organizing my winter 2020 burning pile I get moans from my neighbors to the effect "Your wood is better tha the stuff Iv'e got etc" but if its available & your first in line go for it If they were firstit would be "Gone in 60 seconds"

I have sold firewood in California for at least 40 years, Some times wood is every where and then some years wood is very scarce. About 15 years ago we had a pretty severe Bark Beetle situation where as millions of Pine trees were dead thus wood was literally everywhere. Firewood sales was still decent, but the demand was not great. Now for that last 10 years wood is becoming more and more scarce with the prices soaring. However 30 and 40 years ago heavy fines were given out to any one poaching any trees regardless of the species. Through this high and low process one thing is for certain the person that capitalizes as a opportunist is way ahead. One time I stumbled onto a contractor that was hired to thin out a area along a roadway that had a steep embankment. I knew the area well with most of the trees being Live Oak so I dropped everything else to be ready to haul away the logs as they were available. After a few weeks my log pile grew to close to 10 cords. During this process many people drove by me yelling and screaming that I had stole their wood. It did not bother me at all. If being a snob is the same as a good opportunist well hopefully that is me. Thanks

One time I stumbled onto a contractor that was hired to thin out a area along a roadway that had a steep embankment. I knew the area well with most of the trees being Live Oak so I dropped everything else to be ready to haul away the logs as they were available. After a few weeks my log pile grew to close to 10 cords. During this process many people drove by me yelling and screaming that I had stole their wood. It did not bother me at all. If being a snob is the same as a good opportunist well hopefully that is me. Thanks

Most of my wood comes from trees downed on the highway or power line right of way. It's all fair game. It's only yours once you arrive with truck and saw. A couple of years ago I watched a large oak for over a year that had hung when it blew over. I was not first on scene when it finally came down. I got nothing.

I work for the railroad and see sometimes where maintenance of way/track department guys cut down trees growing along or too close to the tracks...a few years ago I saw where they had cut down a black locust that would be very easily accessible for me, but nobody else would really know about it, being hidden from the general publics view. took the old 056 mag II and my '92 dodge diesel up there that weekend and brought as much of that puppy home as i could, first encounter I had with locust.....it was sooo dense/heavy....and hard on that chain, very hard to cut....but I got most of it. I'm lucky, always seeing downed trees along the tracks that most people never see or have access to.

Not so much a snob with what I burn. More the fact that I divide the wood up in stacks or piles as to keep it seperated as the song goes. Buddies give me heck over it. but hey... I have the room to do it ! cure oak at least 2yr, would never put maple in same stack of pile etc..etc.

Not so much a snob with what I burn. More the fact that I divide the wood up in stacks or piles as to keep it seperated as the song goes. Buddies give me heck over it. but hey... I have the room to do it ! cure oak at least 2yr, would never put maple in same stack of pile etc..etc.
Ahhh, another segregationist! I, too, keep the oak separated. Wouldn't want any funny business going on. The softwoods can mix it up all they want, just not with the oak.

Well i guess I am different I would have that white oak crotch on the boom and in the truck in 60 sec to put on the lathe then look around for fire wood . I to keep soft wood in a separate pile from long soft wood shop stove will take 4' ,home only 16"

IF someone came to MY place and started picking through the pile of wood I gave them, I'd run them off...

NO Wood Snobs Allowed!

SR

my pile right now is 20% pin oak 25% white oak 50% hickory and 5% maple.

I have an ad on Craigslist, I'll cut some trees down if there are no hazards and I keep the wood, leave the branches and stumps. I get an email every 2-3 days. Weed out the crack heads that want me to clear cut and chip everything and haul it out for free... I go and look at 1 "job" a week. I pretty much don't cut trees down unless it's oak, hickory, chery or ash.

I guess I'm a wood snob? But that's just because I can afford to be right now... I've burnt my fair share of **** wood though.

my pile right now is 20% pin oak 25% white oak 50% hickory and 5% maple.

I have an ad on Craigslist, I'll cut some trees down if there are no hazards and I keep the wood, leave the branches and stumps. I get an email every 2-3 days. Weed out the crack heads that want me to clear cut and chip everything and haul it out for free... I go and look at 1 "job" a week. I pretty much don't cut trees down unless it's oak, hickory, chery or ash.

I guess I'm a wood snob? But that's just because I can afford to be right now... I've burnt my fair share of **** wood though.

Nopte, that's not a wood snob. Why burn poor wood when good is available? I don't have an option out here, there just is noting the East Coasters would consider 'good' wood except for the occasional take down in town or on a farmstead. I did luck into 4 cords of oak this year. Lots of heart rot in it but the solid ring burns well.

Latest posts

Back