What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!!!!

Whatcha got Going on there?

Damn. I wish it wasn't subzero out. I've been jonesing not being able to use the grill on a consistent basis
I fired up the grill today and did steak, chicken, peppers and onions, for Fajitas. 18* with no wind, so it wasn't too bad.
I like to take advantage of the nice days, to fire up the grill or smoker.

Picked up a spiral sliced ham on sale for .69c lb. Comes with a salted Carmel glaze.
Not sure on the glaze, but I'll try it.

Plan on double smoking it tomorrow afternoon with maple pellets. 225* until it hits a IT of 145*
I'll glaze it a couple times when it hits 125*.

I'll update tomorrow with pics after its done.

IMAG0682.jpg

I try to get out, and they keep pulling me back in....

That's a great price... I'd be grabbing a few for sausage.
It's funny, I was eyeing stuffers on eBay today. I've made loose sausage in the past but never stuffed.

The pathetic thing about the butts is I have a freezer full of pork from the hogs we raised last summer. I had the butts all turned into steaks and sausage though because I run across cheap meat like this for the smoker all the time.
Oh, plus I just got this sauce worked up for pulled pork:)

It's funny, I was eyeing stuffers on eBay today. I've made loose sausage in the past but never stuffed.

The pathetic thing about the butts is I have a freezer full of pork from the hogs we raised last summer. I had the butts all turned into steaks and sausage though because I run across cheap meat like this for the smoker all the time.
Oh, plus I just got this sauce worked up for pulled pork:)

So did the sauce come out as good as expected?

The double smoked ham with a salted caramel glaze was fantastic.

Wasn't sure about the glaze, but wow was it good.

IMG_20170109_183421662.jpg

IMG_20170109_183647829.jpg

Guess The light wasn't quite right. Looks like a horrible gray color. But trust me it was a normal pinkish smoked ham color.

So I thought I was getting regular pork tender loin. Instead I was pleasantly surprised by these little pork butt tender filet. Never heard of these before, very tender and tastes great. Olive oil, smoked salt and pepper. Smoked for 45 min then cooked at 350 till 160 internal temp. Can cut with a fork.
02ccdcba18a5936e190073b2f699fcb2.jpg
efb83261190bed0aacbb55c8505939cd.jpg
c77514bc128a5e4288598dd0dd36cbf8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I thought I was getting regular pork tender loin. Instead I was pleasantly surprised by these little pork butt tender filet. Never heard of these before, very tender and tastes great. Olive oil, smoked salt and pepper. Smoked for 45 min then cooked at 350 till 160 internal temp. Can cut with a fork.

Yah, some of the names they come up with to market certain cuts are hilarious. Looks delicious none the same.

Who cares what they call em. They look delicious.

brats bathed in brown beer and onions before hitting the grill.

Well I changed/reversed my plan after I found this recipe for Sheboygan brats , http://allrecipes.com/recipe/87053/sheboygan-grilled-brats/

I altered it a bit, 1/3 stick butter, 1 LARGE vidalia onion halved/sliced and a large green pepper cut up and cooked down 15 mins. seasoned w Janes Crazy m/u Salt, added a spoonful of chopped garlic and cooked 5 mins. more, one bottle of local brown ale and covered/ turned down/steamed while I grilled the brats ( about 20 mins.)
put them in the pot and covered for 10 mins.
hot from the oven hoagie rolls slathered w a heap of mayo, 2 slices of provolone, a brat and 1/2 on the bun and smothered w the onion/peppers and some of the beerjuice from the pot.
It was a big, messy pile of deliciousness I had to eat over the plate w a roll of paper towels in front of me and wash my hands, face and beard afterwards. I will definitely cook/eat them again. I noticed 2 of the 5 brats leaked juices as they grilled, one sent a fine geyser squirting up in the air and they both shrunk more than the other 3. After sitting in the beer broth they all were plump again and I could not tell which ones leaked/shrunk on the grill.

The double smoked ham with a salted caramel glaze was fantastic.

Wasn't sure about the glaze, but wow was it good.

View attachment 549624
View attachment 549625

Guess The light wasn't quite right. Looks like a horrible gray color. But trust me it was a normal pinkish smoked ham color.

Looks like a winner! :numberone: :sweet: Think I have missed a lot of good food pics. since my computer has been out of service!

Starting some venison pastrami. Took mix of sirloin, top and bottom round roasts (8 total) out of the freezer tonight. I'll let them thaw overnight, then into the brine/cure for 12-14 days before they hit the smoker.
IMG_20170116_183336625.jpg

I'll post more pics when they go into the 2 week bath tomorrow.

Starting some venison pastrami. Took mix of sirloin, top and bottom round roasts (8 total) out of the freezer tonight. I'll let them thaw overnight, then into the brine/cure for 12-14 days before they hit the smoker. View attachment 551366

I'll post more pics when they go into the 2 week bath tomorrow.
Pins and needles....

Unfortunately my grills and smokers will be cold for a bit as I attempt to re-build the coffers and prepare for a trip next month by working 80 hour weeks so I will be living vicariously through y'all. I did thaw out some pulled pork for lunch for a few tomorrow though.

Back