What's Hittin' the Grill or Smoker?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my pork belly's out of the cure and cleaned up to go into the fridge to dry to get ready for a cold smoking. Cooked a few slices to test before they go in the smoker.

Attachments

• 100_1216.JPG
    100_1216.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 100_1214.JPG
    100_1214.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
Got my pork belly's out of the cure and cleaned up to go into the fridge to dry to get ready for a cold smoking. Cooked a few slices to test before they go in the smoker.

Amberg. Great start on your soon to be bacon... I just picked up 65# of bellies from my local butcher.
Temps dropped here, so there vac sealed and frozen until temps will be in the upper 30's. Hoping I can start brining late next week.

Do you wet or dry brine? And how long do you smoke yours for?

Finally some nice weather and I've been jonesing to fire up grill.

And as usual over my head I go.

I was wanting to try pulled pork again and I decided to follow this recipe.

http://howtobbqright.com/pulledporkrecipesimple/

I really like his website.

So yesterday morning I got a pork butt. A little larger than I wanted but it will cover my lunches for the week.

All mustard'd up.

Rubbed down and hanging out until grill gets stabilized

Now last time I did a butt it went too fast. I figured it was a temp issue due to the firebox placement.

I picked up another maverick because I ripped out wires from the thermocouple on the green mountain probe.

I set that maverick up as a grate temp using one of the surface temp thermos as the base.

Interdasting to say the least. Grill set at 235 maverick reading 265[emoji15]

I then found this nifty feature in the green mountain app.

I cranked it as high as it would go to +20.

Grill set at 230 and this was the grate reading.

Much better. I can deal with this.

I'm going to get a dedicated grate temp probe and am going to pull the trigger on this.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Threw the butt on at 11am and that sucker took its sweeeeeeet time to get to 165. Perfect. This is how it's supposed to go. It was dark out and I had the headlamp on.

Got it all foiled up and back on to finish.

Fell asleep on the floor with the dog. He had a rough day and I was beat from hauling wood.

Hit 195 at 1030. Starting Pulling it at 1100pm.

It didn't pull apart....it fell. [emoji2][emoji2]

Absolutely incredible. I nailed it. I had 4 sammiches at midnight. [emoji38]

Oh and this stuff....is....awesome.

So yesterday morning I got a pork butt. A little larger than I wanted but it will cover my lunches for the week.

All mustard'd up.

Now last time I did a butt it went too fast. I figured it was a temp issue due to the firebox placement.

I picked up another maverick because I ripped out wires from the thermocouple on the green mountain probe.

I set that maverick up as a grate temp using one of the surface temp thermos as the base.

I'm going to get a dedicated grate temp probe and am going to pull the trigger on this.

Threw the butt on at 11am and that sucker took its sweeeeeeet time to get to 165. Perfect. This is how it's supposed to go. It was dark out and I had the headlamp on.

Fell asleep on the floor with the dog. He had a rough day and I was beat from hauling wood.

Sorry to see the pup is hurting, but I'm thinking a few tidbits of that pulled pork will make him feel better.
It would make me feel better if I had some.

Sorry to see the pup is hurting, but I'm thinking a few tidbits of that pulled pork will make him feel better.
It would make me feel better if I had some.

I have been along with pain meds from the vet. He's doing fine. This is the 4th time he's ripped that nail off.

Last night, lamb chops seasoned w JANES, Mcormick Italian herb grinder and chilled a few hours before painting them w mint jelly w chopped mint added and grilled almost rare. No time for finished pictures, maybe next time :D

FYI that 2015 alamos malbec sucked, seriously; it was awful, first time I tried it and I will never buy it again, only 1 or 2 legs, dry and harsh and lousy flavor.

0211171947.jpg

Amberg. Great start on your soon to be bacon... I just picked up 65# of bellies from my local butcher.
Temps dropped here, so there vac sealed and frozen until temps will be in the upper 30's. Hoping I can start brining late next week.

Do you wet or dry brine? And how long do you smoke yours for?

I did a dry cure with Morton's T.Q. and brown sugar with a little black pepper. I have never done a wet cure yet, but I am thinking about trying it next time. I smoked 1 day for 3 hours, let it rest in the fridge a couple days and did another 3 hours so far. I used the amazn tube smoker with the pitmasters pellets.

Just starting the first 3 hour smoke. I did another one Saturday, might do one more tomorrow.

Looking good. I also dry cure. However, I use instacure #1 so I can adjust the salt level to our taste.
I use the A-MAZE-N expandable tube. I can get around 7 hrs out of it. I smoke one tube, rest a day and repeat for around 24-32 hrs of smoke. I like Lumberjack hickory for the first tube or two, then switch to maple for the rest of the smoke.

Got a nice bone in ribeye roast, cut my own steaks that are 2 inches thick. Seasoned and put on the Traeger for a special meal tonight. These were quite a hit. It was a 18# roast and I got 8 steaks out of it. I only did 4 steaks for our family of 8. The steaks are that big. So the other 4 steaks are in the freezer for another night.
5d6642ae7107a0a0f28d6efcbdd2ae36.jpg
00ac64b72957f120c7e1400495c42f59.jpg
90289b64a9e5f115b8477e62abc8ca35.jpg
777689ce0e65a2375baa97b4a2224707.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a nice bone in ribeye roast, cut my own steaks that are 2 inches thick. Seasoned and put on the Traeger for a special meal tonight. These were quite a hit. It was a 18# roast and I got 8 steaks out of it. I only did 4 steaks for our family of 8. The steaks are that big. So the other 4 steaks are in the freezer for another night.

Oh boy. I'm trying hard not to lick my screen. That PR looks great...

Incredible!!!!!!

Excellent job!!!!!

All mustard'd up.

I've got a Thermo Works Smoke. It's a nice unit.
I also got a MK4 Thermo Pen. Excellent thermometer. The 1.5 second response time really make it handy for grilling.

Outstanding.

I've got a Thermo Works Smoke. It's a nice unit.
I also got a MK4 Thermo Pen. Excellent thermometer. The 1.5 second response time really make it handy for grilling.

The thermo works smoke should be here today.

I'll be getting a replacement to the GMG unit and I'll have the 2 Mavericks. Can't have too much stuff to monitor.

Holy cow.

Brown santa dropped off the thermoworks smoke and an aluminum engine skid for the Jeep.

This thing is awesome. It's like it rolls in real time.

Highly recommend.

I'm heading to the girlfriends this weekend. I'm going to make ribeyes for the family.

Told her the grill is going to look like a porcupine with everything sticking out of it

4 ribeyes tonight. Seasoned them this morning and wrapped in Saran Wrap

On the grill. Looked like a damn science experiment with all of the probe wires everywhere.

But, having that many measuring devices really shows you how interesting the dynamics of a grill are

Even though my girlfriends grill is maybe 6 months older than mine the characteristics are different. I got it figured out.

Steaks are done.

The girlfriend and her girls loved them

Back