Whats in your firewood? Horseshoe in mine -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm working on this good size dead elm we dropped last winter, about 3 ft dbh. Found some wire, a few #40 spikes, and then this comes out - elm2.jpg Going to run the 30" dia log in the next pic through the mill, but really having second thoughts now, so much iron in here. The shoe was about 6 or 7 ft above the ground. elm3.jpg

Does Elm make those purple "Iron Spots" like oak does?????

David

Have any friends with a metal detector? That should show up the damaging stuff.
I have one, saved me many blades, but doesn't get everything.

Does Elm make those purple "Iron Spots" like oak does????? It does, the blue doesn't travel as far as in oak though.

David

Barbed wire, bullets, rocks grown into the wood, coffee cans (nailed to trees to feed sled dogs I figure)

Several inches down in a Oak crotch was some cable and a end of a galvanized handle, So carefully planned my cuts along with about 10 wedges got the wood all cut and split. What came out was a perfectly usable come along which I still have. However now and then some weird metal will show up just to tell you that you better see if all your cutting teeth are still attached to your chain. Tahnks

Latest posts

Back