What's in your saw box?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A few disclaimers:
  1. Another member here shared his YouTube video of what is in his saw box, I just decided this could be done in still pictures
  2. It's just too stinking hot here for actual work, so I am putzing in the garage and shade (also washed the ATV after installing a new battery)
  3. I feel like we had a thread like this before, but I can't find it.

So, based on scanning the background of several of your great sawing pictures, seems like most of us have consolidated our assorted sawing needs tools into a box, bucket, milk crate, or commercial saw box. I cheaped out and built a box from scrap wood laying around my shop.

IMG_8098.JPG

So, what's in mine:

IMG_8100.JPG

• Saw of course, I slotted one end so the bar would stick out, and find I can put any one of my saws from 32cc to 61cc in this box
  • A TruFuel can that I reuse with mix, and a quart of bar oil, also in a reused container
  • A round file in angle gauge, a flat file and depth gauge
  • A stump vise
  • A scrench, a carb screwdriver, a spare bar nut, and a torx driver for handles and skins
  • Hearing protection, safety glasses, gloves
  • Plastic putty knife, rag, and old paint brush
  • Pair of felling wedges (usually 3, but one is AWOL)

Note intricate design of this box, one end piece shorter than the other, because that's what the piece of wood I found was:

IMG_8103.JPG

I can bungee this to front or rear rack of my ATV, or across the tongue of my trailer. If I need anything else, I take a break and head back to the garage. I'm never very far. Or, when I'm headed to the mountains to cut for the cabin, it just slides into back of my pick-up.

My static lines, throw bag, some straps, a couple carabiners are consolidated in an old milk crate.

A hatchet and a pruning saw, and pruning shear ride the atv all the time.

So, what do you carry, have you made your own box, adapted some other creation, have something I ought to consider adding, or just want to show off your clean and shiney equipment? Please Share.

I don't "box" my saw, but I do box my supplies. Milk crate with wedges, bar oil, several pairs of gloves. two pairs of Bugz eyes, two pairs of muffs, bottles of mix and two gallons each of different ratio fuel. I throw dull chains in it as well for the trip home. An ammo box with spare chains sorted by length, spare parts, saw tools and midget wedges.

IMG_3913.JPG IMG_3914.JPG IMG_3915.JPG

Ron

I don't have pictures, but a few things I always have are.
Extra chain for the saw, sometimes if it's a weird tree or top a extra bar for those oops I'm stuck moments.
Fuel and bar oil, a few basic tools. Just the normal stuff like everyone else. But a few thing I added and wouldn't be without are.
1. First aid kit.
2. Saline solution. (Travel size).
3. Extra recoil rope.
4. 5 min epoxy and tube of super glue.
5. 24in prybar.

The only thing that adds any noticeable weight is the prybar. But it comes in darn handy. The extra recoil rope 9 times out of 10 gets used for other things, and could be used as a Tourniquet if needed. The saline solution is great for anything in your eye or to flush a wound. The epoxy and superglue are nice for a quick fix.

Hope this helps add a few items to people's check list.

Steven

Wanted a separate, weatherproof 'box' for bars, chains, etc. I need to transport gear, sometimes leave it locked in the cab, sometimes leave it on job sites but out in the weather. Came up with this last week. Would like to improve it over time once I get some use out of it but have to start somewhere and my previous method was even worse, so it's an improvement.
barsAndShelves.jpg packed.jpg tubeAndShelvesEndOn.jpg tubeSideOn.jpg tubeWithFeet.jpg unpacked.jpg

oriknb.jpg

16hp75t.jpg

Couple of pics of my saw box Dad made 25-30 yrs. ago. Has held up very well. Gas, oil, basic tools, 2 extra chains, safety glasses and ear protection. PS notice the dovetail joints!!!!!
Digging the dovetails. Those are long joints to dovetail right, even with a jig and router.

I just use a crate for oil, gas, the jug with the lid is for files, middle is flat files, file n joint, and screwdriver, on other side is a scrench, sharpie, paint pen, grease, and a wire brush. In between th gas and containers is gloves, ear plugs, safety glasses, wedges, and underneath i have spare chains. This usually sits in or next to the truck when I'm cutting, so saw is loose, in the little bag is ratchet straps, usually 5 or 6 in there.

Attachments

• 20160811_121222.jpg
    20160811_121222.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 20160811_121244.jpg
    20160811_121244.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • 20160811_121255.jpg
    20160811_121255.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
Wanted a separate, weatherproof 'box' for bars, chains, etc. I need to transport gear, sometimes leave it locked in the cab, sometimes leave it on job sites but out in the weather. Came up with this last week. Would like to improve it over time once I get some use out of it but have to start somewhere and my previous method was even worse, so it's an improvement.
View attachment 514940 View attachment 514941 View attachment 514942 View attachment 514943 View attachment 514944 View attachment 514945
mutha!!! you just gave me a idea!!!! thanks!!!!

I have a small light toolkit with various supplies to keep me going. One replacement 'E' clip yesterday kept me on site sawing when I changed over rim sprockets to different pitch & clutch drum E clip shot off into the forest floor never to be found. Saved me a good drive home to get one. Just a lil spares tip.

mutha!!! you just gave me a idea!!!! thanks!!!!
Please post pics when it happens. Because I had to buy a full length of 6" PVC pipe, I'm looking at making a number of cannisters to carry equipment specific tools and fixed to the respective equipment. Watertight, and the tool is hopefully always there when you need it. Trouble is, the screw caps and their couplers are not cheap whereas the glue-on end caps are. So, if anyone has any great ideas how to keep the latter on the ends of the pipe without glueing them on, please let us know. Was thinking of a strap that could go over the end once on. But have to keep the cannisters watertight.

One thing I need to tweak on the storage pipe above, is add foam pads on the ends or find some other way of stopping the draws and in particular the bars, from sliding around and slamming into the end caps/screws when driving around tight corners.

Maybe some of that thick packing foam that is trimmed to fit the opening so when your bars are in just shove it down on the ends to hold em in place. Put a loop of para cord through it so you can yank it out when you need to get to bars. Just thinking out loud. Also make a mold then use spray foam. Let it harden with the cord knotted inside.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas fellas. Was trying to avoid penetrations in the cannisters. They don't have to be totally water proof to 100m just keep the rain and driving water spray (if the equipment is being towed in the rain) out. I'm thinking maybe I can use webbing wrapped around the cannisters and glue on a few PVC bits to each end to form a lip or channel so the webbing locates into these, then just a plastic clip to bring the webbing together and tighten down. Or maybe an elastic bungee cord/strap instead of the webbing.

Maybe some of that thick packing foam that is trimmed to fit the opening so when your bars are in just shove it down on the ends to hold em in place. Put a loop of para cord through it so you can yank it out when you need to get to bars. Just thinking out loud. Also make a mold then use spray foam. Let it harden with the cord knotted inside.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
Hmmmm, foam plugs sounds like a plan. Also, a cord to keep the smaller bars from sliding along the length of pipe too. cheers.

Another point about the original tube box is it is heavy with all those bars and chains. When it is along the back seat of the cab, there is no quick access to anything. It has to be taken out of the cab and the ends taken off to get anything out and doing so is a bit awkward with that sort of weight.

Back