What's on your bench? 2/6/16

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old beat to hell mix and matched flat top on my bench. Top end is mint, bottom is roached :(. runs mint but i Think I'm gonna shelf it for another day. Got a few other saws to do anyways.

View attachment 484152

Here's the homemade handle that was on it. Someone crafty and with more patience then me made it. yes that is cast iron and yes it weighs as much as half of the saw lol. I think this saw must have belonged to a cull.

View attachment 484155

>yes that is cast iron

wow, really? never seen cast iron homemade into a handle like that... nor drill hole edges as such in all the cast iron I have drilled. looks like rusty mild steel. bent like mild steel tubing... flattened at the curve on L. but cast iron u say, so guess it is. any pix of ends? how was it made? to me would have taken a pattern... and for a saw handle??

maybe made from black pipe or similar, but how to bend it as such?...

>yes that is cast iron

wow, really? never seen cast iron homemade into a handle like that... nor drill hole edges as such in all the cast iron I have drilled. looks like rusty mild steel. bent like mild steel tubing... flattened at the curve on L. but cast iron u say, so guess it is. any pix of ends? how was it made? to me would have taken a pattern... and for a saw handle??

maybe made from black pipe or similar, but how to bend it as such?...

i suppose it could be mild steel but the thenthe outside of the pipe is rusted to the point of pitting. it has the cast finish like a cast frying pan. looks kinda like old house plumbing. i'll try remember to get a pic tomorrow. just relaxing now and don't wanna go back to the bench. i have no idea on who made it or how it was made. i got the saw in trade and this handle is what was on it.

Couldn't help it. Had to go get a pic. It could be just rusty mild steel I suppose. It's got a very heavy cast iron feel to it though. I got a 6' piece of mild steel pipe for muffler mods. The wall is a bit thinner but I swear the whole 6' piece feels about the same weight as this homemade handle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454820157.732802.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454820178.240132.jpg

i suppose it could be mild steel but the thenthe outside of the pipe is rusted to the point of pitting. it has the cast finish like a cast frying pan. looks kinda like old house plumbing. i'll try remember to get a pic tomorrow. just relaxing now and don't wanna go back to the bench. i have no idea on who made it or how it was made. i got the saw in trade and this handle is what was on it.

well, whatever it is made out of, I agree with you... a crafty person made it, and for needing a handle he pulled it off remarkably well. rusty fry pan finish aside. thanks for reply...

updated:

see your pix of handle. thanks for sending. end with that cut doesn't shed too much more light on it, but the finish and drill hope upset would suggest to me thick walled steel tubing. I doubt if iron pipe much less cast would have bent the 90 as it did... and I see no wall ripples on the short side... do u plan to use the handle, or replace it. no doubt I could be made to look good... course as u say, heavy!

well, whatever it is made out of, I agree with you... a crafty person made it, and for needing a handle he pulled it off remarkably well. rusty fry pan finish aside. thanks for reply...

pics are up, let me know what you think. crafty SOB indeed. it mounts up flawlessly. doesn't twist the tank at all. holes line up mint.

I was a metal fabricator, looks like mild steel. Cast doesn't bend like that, to brittle to be bent lime that, it has to be cast into a shape like that not to break. Imo. Still took. Lot of skill though, hats off to them. Nessessity is the mother of all.

i have a hard enough time straightening handlebars lol. the OEM stihl ones are thinner and quite a bit easier to straighten then husky. i just had to straighten my 660 handle the other day cause i log rolled over it. cracked the top cover and the air box piece screwed to the tank too :mad: it's good to go though.

I was a metal fabricator, looks like mild steel. Cast doesn't bend like that, to brittle to be bent lime that, it has to be cast into a shape like that not to break. Imo. Still took. Lot of skill though, hats off to them. Nessessity is the mother of all.

it's a real old piece of mild steel pipe then. it doesn't even have that overlap where they bond the pipe which is why i figured it was cast. should i try sell it in the trading post? lol

I wish I could say I was working on some glorious 1,000cc saw.... but instead I was tinkering on a Husqvarna 122C trimmer I bought off the 'bay for $30 shipped!!!
It was listed as having a cracked fuel tank but otherwise good. It did have one small crack, about 1/4 long where a grommet was press fit into the plastic to allow a mounting screw to go through. I mixed some epoxy, cut some matting, patched the crack for .50 cents of materials and a hour of my time. The trimmer was NEW otherwise. Bought it from a place (VM innovations) that seems to handle a lot of remans/parts only, ect.

i have a hard enough time straightening handlebars lol. the OEM stihl ones are thinner and quite a bit easier to straighten then husky. i just had to straighten my 660 handle the other day cause i log rolled over it. cracked the top cover and the air box piece screwed to the tank too :mad: it's good to go though.

eeek! :eek: really, now! wow!... but better the saw, than you...

eeek! :eek: really, now! wow!... but better the saw, than you...

**** happens when in a pinch. it don't happen often but this was a 2 tree deal trying to get them to go at the same time. far one started first and pinch the bar saw went with the show lol the log just slapped it. if it had ended up underneath the saw would have been a goner!

f18e1844ac40e64b2035d5a47aa5f9ca.jpg
441 needs lines and such

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
No body local has 441 fuel lines and I don't see the stuff online any ideas where I can get the inside and outside line together.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good morning!! I currently have an 041av getting the tear down treatment for clean up/restoration. Recieved this saw on Friday from a good friend of mine. Has 150 psi on comp.

Got a red lever 026 getting the cleaning treatment blew 170 psi on comp tester. Was a contractors that hardly used it but didn't believe in blowing off any crud. So it needs a bath BAD

056 super that's gonna get put together very soon as my parts just arrived for it. Super clean saw thats going to a friend of mine for the cost of parts.

Back