What's On Your Bench? Nov 20th 2014

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chains. Lots of chains. Last weekends mini GTG made me feel a little ashamed. I usually don't let my chains get so bad, but I've been slacking way too much.

On the ones with less meat, I'm giving the file-o-plate a try on the depth gauges, we'll see what that does.

I need a grinder, been messing with a couple rocked out chains and they are quite tedious.

Got out in the woods for a little bit yesterday between rain storms to test my chains on some red oak. Wow, I'm back! The worst one is back to cutting better than new now. Took me at least an hour to get that chain back in shape. On my chains with shorter teeth, I notice a definite difference with the file-o-plate. I've always used the Oregon depth gauge and didn't bother with rounding the front of the raker.

After working on that chain, I put the 511AX grinder on my Christmas list. Crossing my fingers...

An 051AV which I installed a new chip in. Need to clean it up and get it ready for eBay.

Waiting on parts for 3 Husqvarna 55 projects and a Stihl 390. Hopefully after I get the firewood saws back together and up on Craigslist, I can start working on my own saws

Back on my bench is the 44 I just finished last week. Took it out sat to put some tanks through it before I give it to my buddy. Wouldn't throttle upwell and when it did hit wot low power in cut. Swapped known good carb, no bueno.

Have some good advise to look at impulse and fuel line. I hahaven't messed with it since carb swap but all is new on this saw.

Mastermind.. How the %$^&$$ did you grind those??? Very nice indeed

Glock37, It's evident by the condition that the Husky there is the only one that runs *ducks* Nice looking saws :)

On my bench now is all sorts of automotive paint, primer, etc...

I know it's probably a little trade secret of yours, I'm interested in the 'stuff' part of it though ;)

My bench gots about an inch of dust on it. :)

I took a new job at a saw shop months ago. With a couple family member in bad health and my son getting his drivers license recently, (we're building a car)... I haven't had time to post. I'm hoping to find time to start posting again. Glad to see the regulars are stihl here.. :rock:

I think the better question is whats not on my toolbench right now, My saws are functional and my toolbench is overloaded with **** cause i havent needed to fix anything except my log splitter today the damn pull cord broke again and i said to hell with it and went and got a 200' spool of it.

Have a 026 with sometimes inconsistant idle and slight bog. Idle will also drop a little when turned flywheel up. This will only happen 1 in 10 times when testing.

Saw has seen very little use, clean and looks all OEM.

170 compression, carb in USC and rebuilt, all new lines, filters, plug.
Cranks good and runs good.
Pressure and vac hold steady for minutes even turning the saw on its sides.
I even tried rotating crank with saw in all positions no change in readings.

I just found a slow releasing tank vent, cleaned it and both press/vac react faster on tank test.
Carb holds pressure, WT 194, have not ran after these tests.
I have the jug off now, everything looks happy. Still can see a little crosshatch and no scuffing.
I may try a different carb and poke around the ignition next.

Whats on my bench???
Pulled hair and a few hammers out of my collection.
Last count i had 47 hammers.

Just another day in paradise.

Sweet! Hows it run?
That ain't a 064 !

Nice lookin saw how do it cut

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks guys...just finished it up tonight, havnt even fueled it yet...maybe this weekend if I have time. I did touch up the chain...it's .325 that I hand filed square. Opened up the exhaust port a little bit...gonna run it a little then try advancing the timing a bit and see if I notice a change. And no mike...it's definitely no 064 that's for sure...nothing will replace that saw. Did you guys get yours back from Tennessee yet??

Back