What's the best way to pull out, and move this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQRaceworks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We planted this willow tree on our backyard a few years ago. It went from a little 2ft long twig to about 15ft tall in just a few years. It's around 10" diameter at the base, but thins out pretty fast a few feet up the truck of the tree. It's pretty close to our septic system lines, and I'm worried that the roots are going to get into the lines....so I would like to relocate the tree. We dug up around the base of the tree, and it looks like there are 5-6 large roots coming from the base, and that's all I can see. Do willows have a thick and deep root system? How hard are they to move?

What's the safest way to attempt to pull this tree out, and move it? Is it even a job that a homeowner can tackle...or should I just cut it off at the base, and burn it?

Any ideas would be great!!!

WP_20170130_17_12_51_Pro_zpsuh71lo0j.jpg

WP_20170130_17_12_58_Pro_zpsbbfvub7e.jpg

Well most likely the damage has already been done. For a tree that size a root ball would need to be 8-10 feet in diameter. There are two basic types of roots. The ones you are looking at are the structural roots which hold the tree in place and can go deeper and usually out to the dripline of the tree. The second type are the fiberous roots which extend beyond the dripline and reside in the first couple inches of the soil. These roots provide the tree with nutrients and water form the soil. Digging the way you did and as close as you did to the tree, you have more than likely destroyed over 95% of the fiberous roots. The tree will not survive losing that much of the root system. Moving a tree that size would require a large mechanical tree spade which you would have to hire a company to come in and do. The tree will most likely die within the next couple of months then you can just cut it down.

Back