What's the biggest USA made Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

win67

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
036/360- 361/362 family of saws if I'm not mistaken?

And by biggest I mean "most powerful", not necessarily the highest displacement.

036/360- 361/362 family of saws if I'm not mistaken?

And by biggest I mean "most powerful", not necessarily the highest displacement.
Of those, only the 036 and 360 is in the same "family", the others are quite different - but they did replace each other in the order you listed them.

I believe the 362 C is it, the others, as far as I know, are still made in Germany.

I believe the 362 is made both in Germany and the US, as was the 361, and was/is many other Stihl saws.

They used to say "Made in the USA, from parts made in Germany and USA" on them. After a while they stopped stating that, likely because it wasn't 100% true.

The 361 still is made for some markets btw, in Brazil.;)

OTE="SawTroll, post: 5638672, member: 5399"]Surely - but that isn't what he asked about. ;)[/QUOTE]
The original post asks most powerful, not necessarily displacement

My question would be "which Stihl saws are made in the USA and which are made in Germany?" By model number.

My question would be "which Stihl saws are made in the USA and which are made in Germany?" By model number.
That's hard to answer because some models are made in both the USA and Germany. One would need a spreadsheet with model number in the left column, and MFG location in the two or more adjacent columns. The adjacent columns would show the name of the nation that makes each saw model. To my knowledge, this table has never been made public.

That's hard to answer because some models are made in both the USA and Germany. One would need a spreadsheet with model number in the left column, and MFG location in the two or more adjacent columns. The adjacent columns would show the name of the nation that makes each saw model. To my knowledge, this table has never been made public.
Would be interesting to see, though.

You are correct on the displacement Troll, I must have glanced at the 311, but the 362 has more Hp, and that was the original question. Since it is the same wt as a 311, I wonder why stihl does not put that jug on a 362??? Would be a nice displacement for the wt.

My 362 is made in USA, but they are also made in Germany. Not sure if any Stihl saws are just made in the USA.

SN starting with 1 is Made in Germany. SN starting with 2 is Made in USA.

I guess the follow-up question to this thread is "What chain saw made in the USA today by any MFG has the largest displacement and/or horsepower? Is it the Stihl MS391?

Hit the nail on the head, Doctor. I'm in the market for an upgrade to my 036 and would of course prefer something both made in the USA, and made recently. I'm aware there are many old saws made here that make significantly more than 4.5 HP, but I'm not really interested in using an old Mac that turns at 7,000RPM and has no safety features whatsoever. Additionally, buying a used saw made by a company long out of business would also do jack to support USA manufacturing, other than by not giving my business to Germany-based manufacturing,

I'm pretty damn sure I'm out of luck, but just wanted to check with folks more knowledgeable than myself. I think my best bet is either to let go of my country-of-origin criteria and buy an 044/44o, or to buy an ancient Poulan pro saw that has at least a few safety features. Does such an animal exist? Did Poulan ever make a saw with a chainbrake and that makes 6 or more horsepower? I'm not a "pro user" as the term is commonly understood, so parts availability isn't as huge an issue to me as it might be to others here.

Hit the nail on the head, Doctor. I'm in the market for an upgrade to my 036 and would of course prefer something both made in the USA, and made recently. I'm aware there are many old saws made here that make significantly more than 4.5 HP, but I'm not really interested in using an old Mac that turns at 7,000RPM and has no safety features whatsoever. Additionally, buying a used saw made by a company long out of business would also do jack to support USA manufacturing, other than by not giving my business to Germany-based manufacturing,

I'm pretty damn sure I'm out of luck, but just wanted to check with folks more knowledgeable than myself. I think my best bet is either to let go of my country-of-origin criteria and buy an 044/44o, or to buy an ancient Poulan pro saw that has at least a few safety features. Does such an animal exist? Did Poulan ever make a saw with a chainbrake and that makes 6 or more horsepower? I'm not a "pro user" as the term is commonly understood, so parts availability isn't as huge an issue to me as it might be to others here.
Check out the Poulan 455 & 655 which are Pioneer saws. Those came with chainbrake or brake provisions. However they are an old saw from the 80's.

True, but the first digit of the serial number will tell.

As far as I know, all the "Arctic" (W or VW) saws are made in Germany, as the 70cc and larger saws currently sold in the US and Western Europe.

Attachments

• Machine Number Locations[1].pdf
    84.1 KB · Views: 6
Back