What's the easiest way to trobleshoot for bad crank seal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about crank seals, heres how to get to the crank seal on some Huskys. this is the clutch side.

attachment.php

After removing the clutch assy. Insert two screws in threaded holes in oil pump, screw in equality until pump is loose then pull off by hand.

attachment.php

Now you MUST use a oil pump drive puller to remove the drive or you will chip and destroy the drive.

attachment.php

That would be nice, Husky changed there pump drive on the newer saws so you don't have to use a puller.

All the time. I go up there regualrly...

The crankcases differ, and it depend on exactly which "WB" you are refering to. They basicly fall into two types - those with a chain brake and those without. The piston size is less important as the cylinder rmount is the same. I'm pretty the the AV and Super are the same crankcase, and SOME WB will work.

If you buy a used crankcase, I'd replace the seals anyhow, but that's just me.

Andy,
Talk to the seller, and is the correct one(w/brake). Planning to go up Friday. And yea, I do have set of oil seal I bought prior to finding this bad bearing. Thanks,

You might be shocked when you see Madsens quote... Quite a bit of time and materials.. but.. try them.

The case side pairs are generally reuseable. Unless you have the tools and parts on hand, it's always easier to just get another crankcase on these old saws.

Madsens quote was painful. Basically, 3 hours+parts. The tech said, he seen simple bearing change to damaged cranks, spun bearing (bad case). So, not knowing until the full teardown, a well used case is a better approch (like you said). Thanks,

If you buy a used crankcase, I'd replace the seals anyhow, but that's just me.

Yep and if your modding a saw with hours on it, better to change the seals.

Here is the fly wheel side of this Husky's seal removal.
Pull the fly and remove three screws remove cover and your in.
Don't forget to replace the o-ring.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Yep and if your modding a saw with hours on it, better to change the seals.

Here is the fly wheel side of this Husky's seal removal.
Pull the fly and remove three screws remove cover and your in.
Don't forget to replace the o-ring.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow, nice pics. Looks like you have pro saw shop. By chance do you have similar pics on Stihl saws? I have pretty old 028AV Super (25 years old) that I'm trying to resue. Thanks,

Thanks I'm Rebuilding a saw for some one else right now.
I seen this thread and thought I would put some post on seal removal on some Huskys.
Thought maybe Lakeside would match me in the Stihl area:popcorn: , I did see some posting if his on a 056 rebuild that might help you.
I would like to see you finish your saw. did you get your seals out to see if your play is in the bearings or case damage ?

Thanks I'm Rebuilding a saw for some one else right now.
I seen this thread and thought I would put some post on seal removal on some Huskys.
Thought maybe Lakeside would match me in the Stihl area:popcorn: , I did see some posting if his on a 056 rebuild that might help you.
I would like to see you finish your saw. did you get your seals out to see if your play is in the bearings or case damage ?

I picking up a used built up case then heading over to Lakeside's (Andy) place and swap over everything. I hope case isn't damaged (hoping for a good core). I'll take some pics and post it. I need to cut while the weather is good. Thanks,

Well, nice used crank case (short block) was what the doctor ordered. I don't think it would have been easy without "Lakeside Andy" help. After swap-over, I had to wait 4 days for $1.35 oil pump gasket. Installed it and saw is FMC (Full Mission Capable) status, that's USAF lingo. Spent half of day cutting and made whole lot of curly fries and I mean curly fries (never made it with this saw before)! I'm little sore but it feels Good. The saw sounds and cuts like a dream! It never ran this good! I suspect bearing were going out 4 years ago when I bought it. Sorry, no pics. While I was on parts run, he had the swap all done! Anyways, Kudos for Lakeside Andy. He breathes, eats, sleeps, drinks chain saw!

Thanks Andy!

+1

NO.. I drink great local microbrewery beer!:cheers: :cheers:

That would be correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about tha brewskies..... and He does know a bit about tha saws Ehhh???? LOL

Oh yeah,,,, you had to get the clutch removed cause previous owner had not torqued it properly and it over tightened pretty bad,,,,,,

Glad to hear its cutting well for you,,, It was good meeting you too!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
That would be correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! about tha brewskies..... and He does know a bit about tha saws Ehhh???? LOL

Oh yeah,,,, you had to get the clutch removed cause previous owner had not torqued it properly and it over tightened pretty bad,,,,,,

Glad to hear its cutting well for you,,, It was good meeting you too!!!!!!!!

Hey RiverRat,:chainsawguy:
It was good meeting you, no matter what I've heard about people from Big Texsas(LOL). Hope you had fun at Squim. I was thinking about entering my Twin-Turbo SuperSport 028 AV Super, Limited Edition with Chambered exhaust mod from 1975 Yamaha YZ500 (LOL), but a $1.35 oil pump gasket sent me to the pits. Oh yea, how your Dragon Slayer running? It sounded really good at Andy's place (sounds like a dirt bike!). Your saw must have pass the smell test at SeaTac with flying colors! I figure some minor carb adjustment was required with all that Texsas Mesquite BBQ smoke in the air. You should post the test log cut MPEG video. This should start a pretty good thread picking you apart(LOL). See Ya, :cheers:

Beer IS food!

Do we look hungry at all? heck, I'm even trying to drink from the 028 crankcase.

attachment.php

What a happy looking bunch! I concur, what a nice Host. Andy (host on far right) gives me a cold beer and between RiverRat2 "Don't Mess With Texas" (far left) did all work for me:cheers: :clap: Really, bunch of nice guys, it's refreshing to see this day and age. I wonder if these guys do windows too (LOL)! With recent addition of 16" Rollermatic Bar and a new RSC chain, I now know why everyone wants one. Lately though, I've been fighting off a urge to get a full-time bucking saw with some HP. Before you know it, I'll have different saw for each day of the MONTH like Andy!
Again, Thanks Andy... The saw is kicking serious A$$! :bowdown:

Back