What's the easiest way to trobleshoot for bad crank seal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cutting Video

:chainsaw: Well, here it is.
I know, I know, the up-cut looks less than ideal. Up cutting 15 3/4" Fir with 16" Bar was challenging as the dog would hang up. Trying to look alike a pro... Anyway, I have ran 3 tanks so far, and seems to be getting stronger. I'm going to try my old 25" bar and see how it does. Only problem so far has been the nose sprocket binding up on the new 16" Rollermatic E. I had to take the chain off to unbind it. I don't know if some wood chip are getting in there or something is dragging. I did use to plunge cut a large Alder base. Any tips for this problem?

Also, any tp on how to load a video clip better than a Zip/MOV format?

advice for tear down

Wow, good tips from everyone! Thanks,;)
I'll tear in to it once I get a set of seals. I'm going to try a harmonic balancer puller on the flywheel. I guess I would have to see it how both side comes out during the disassembly. I remember reading on the forum about blue (Stihl) color seals are better than black (after market)?

Can anyone tell me the cost of Stihl special tools for this job? How about a suitable sub from common tool box?

Either way, the crank seals replacement are the only thing left on my saw to change.

Again, thanks for all your help!

if you havent tore it down yet i never boght a tool for removing a fly wheel.i dont care what any one else says when you pull the starter cover jam a screwdriver between flywheel and coil pack and loosen the fly wheel.then take a large heavy screwdriver and pull one side of the fly wheel after you pull one side turn fly wheel 1/4 turn and repeat until fly wheel pops loose.as for the clutch tak a 5/32 punch and view the clutch find the off side.take a hammer and tap punch until clutch loosens.if you tap to hard you will break the clutch.then you can view the seals and usually determine if they need replacing.if you have any questions pm me and i will help. bill howe.

if you havent tore it down yet i never boght a tool for removing a fly wheel.i dont care what any one else says when you pull the starter cover jam a screwdriver between flywheel and coil pack and loosen the fly wheel.then take a large heavy screwdriver and pull one side of the fly wheel after you pull one side turn fly wheel 1/4 turn and repeat until fly wheel pops loose.as for the clutch tak a 5/32 punch and view the clutch find the off side.take a hammer and tap punch until clutch loosens.if you tap to hard you will break the clutch.then you can view the seals and usually determine if they need replacing.if you have any questions pm me and i will help. bill howe.

Thanks for the tip Bill,
Yea got the saw finished last month with help from Stihl gurus. One thing though, the flywheel nut was so tight that I had to run it down to Stihl shop to have the nut loosen. They broke their anti-rotation tool (connecting rod block) during the process. They ended up increasing the psi on their impact wrench and wedging a pry bar in the crank case to break it loose.

err.. 028S.. you mean the clutch side. And for the audience - the crank was toast and all we we're trying to do was get the clutch off to use on another crankcase- hence the brute-force methods.

Prying the flywheel off is a great way to break something.

Last edited:
+1

err.. 028S.. you mean the clutch side. and for the audience - the crank was toast and all we we're trying to do was get the clutch off to use on another crankcase- hence the brute-force methods.

Prying the flywheel off is a great way to break something.

:monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

Used my digital cam via .MOV format w/sound (uses Quicktime) and Zipped it due to file size then attached it. Any suggestions?

The zip file is 1.6 MB in size but when you view the file inside, it thinks it's 43MB. yeah, forty-three. Obviously, there's a problem at your end.... :(

nice.. Now make a set for stihls :biggrinbounce2:

Here's the seal puller... Reverseable jaws for 6 sizes, plus the little white plastic jaws for 200t seals. Technique sensitive, but works great.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

just for interest, what does husky or dolmar supply or recommend?

hi andy what is the p/n for the plastic jaws for the 200t?

Bill

Latest posts

Back