What's the next step?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already have an accountant. He assures me that all is well. Says I don't NEED workers comp, or a license but I keep hearing those terms thrown around on AS and from other local tree guys and I'm afraid that I'm missing something.

You don't need a license to work on trees, but you do need a license to do business working on trees. Check with your city/county government just to be sure that you CYA. It may be possible that you don't need a business license, but I doubt it.

On a side note, when I got my business license I asked what the minimum required liability policy was. I was shocked....you're only required to carry $5,000. of liability insurance to get a business license here.

You don't need a license to work on trees, but you do need a license to do business working on trees. Check with your city/county government just to be sure that you CYA. It may be possible that you don't need a business license, but I doubt it.

On a side note, when I got my business license I asked what the minimum required liability policy was. I was shocked....you're only required to carry $5,000. of liability insurance to get a business license here.

Thank you sir! I'll get on that right away.

And I'm assuming this license is something above and beyond my DBA. 'Cause I've yet to run into questions about a license from the bank, my insurance companies, my accountant or my lawyer. Seemed a DBA was enough for them. Just checking.

Most city/county require a business license to operate a business. The DBA acronym for 'Doing Business As' is only the name you will be operating as. This is who the checks are written to and the bank needs it to deposit the checks. When you set up the DBA you have the choice of a sole proprietor LLC or incorporation. This designates how you will be taxed and that is a question for you accountant. It also separates how liability for the business and your personal life is divided so that is a question for your attorney. Check with you city clerks office for license info, based on your AS info I found this.
http://www.cityofbinghamton.com/department.asp?zone=dept-city-clerk

Latest posts

Back