What's the value of this old chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick G

Reaction score
First time on this site and I need to see if anyone know the value of this Sears 917.60044 / 924358.

This saw belonged to my grandfather who passed away last year, now my grandmother wants to have a yard sale and I dont want her to get less than a fair price for it. She says that he bought it and used it to clear a ten acre spread and when he finished he built a wooden box for it, drained the fuel, oiled it up and put it in the box.

She says today is the first time its been out of its box since the mid to late 1960s. It turns over smoothly and seems to have good pressure. Its in really great shape for its age. A little bit of the blue-green paint has chipped off the bar side and the gear drive U4G sticker is still in near perfect condition. The bar oil and gas caps still have all of the paint still on them. Please let me know if anyone has an idea of its fair value. Thanks
I'll post the pics as soon as I get them on photo bucket

The value is whatever someone will pay for the saw. I am not a collector of anything but the best place to scope out possible values is on ebay. Do a search and see if you can find a similar model in similar condition. A complete auction search is the best but I think you will need to register to do such an advanced search. Good luck with your quest but I might consider tucking such an heirloom up into the rafters.

Last edited:
It might not be a big buck item, there are a lot of them, the green ones are cool. I have the red and white version, I use it to cut stuff that I don't want to use any other saws for, like driftwood off the beach. See if a family member will take it into their care, historic family items disappear, the old girl has attained heirloom status. Some day a 14 year old boy will discover it, he will fall in love with it, the chainsaw's history continues.

It might not be a big buck item, there are a lot of them, the green ones are cool. I have the red and white version, I use it to cut stuff that I don't want to use any other saws for, like driftwood off the beach. See if a family member will take it into their care, historic family items disappear, the old girl has attained heirloom status. Some day a 14 year old boy will discover it, he will fall in love with it, the chainsaw's history continues.

Hey man you say you cut driftwood? Just wondering are certain large logs on the beach good or milling? What about firewood?

Hey man you say you cut driftwood? Just wondering are certain large logs on the beach good or milling? What about firewood?

I live in the mountains far from a beach. But I have been reading on a woodstove forum that using driftwood in a stove is a no-no due to the corrosive salts in the wood. But I don't know, just something I read.

If for a campfire, of course, no problem.

Just wondering are certain large logs on the beach good or milling?

Not to side shift this thread, but I would not be eager to mill any logs that had been churned about in the surf and washed up on shore. One would have expected them to have come from along an estuary and they would probably have wire/nails/staples, etc. in them. Also, the sand and rocks would play hell on your blade.

I paid $15 for mine. It's a great runner.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLBEz_UcRTA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLBEz_UcRTA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

I have one with a Bow bar.;)

attachment.php

Back