When is DOT truck registration and stopping at truck scales necessary?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is it and when does it come into play? I see DOT numbers on heavy duty trucks on down to pickups. Also, I've never used a section of interstate for deliveries where there are truck scales. If I did, would I have to stop if the scales are open? I'm driving a GMC 5500 with a gvw of 20,500 lbs. but it is plated for 24,000 lbs. I don't know off the top of my head what the individual axles front/back are rated for, but I would think that comes into play also. I may be driving through Canada with it in a month to New York state (not with firewood). Is there anything I should know before leaving, other than a passport?

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

There are certain requirements that are: weight based; by the type of cargo; if you cross state lines; etc. There are also certain exemptions based on occupation/industry, and distance traveled. Some things kick in as low as 10,000 pounds, or carrying passengers for hire, or carrying hazardous materials.

Clear as mud? Contact the State and find out who enforces the rules in Michigan. Might be the State Police. Might be another agency. They will probably have have a guide book that they hand out, or a web site that you can check. Some will have offices that you can stop by, if you don't want them to trace your phone number. Tell them 'it is for a friend' if you are concerned. They are Federal rules, but the State authorities can help you understand them, and tell you how they are enforced in Michigan.

Philbert

No. I have had this discussion with our state's commercial vehicle enforcement officers . . . Not that simple.

Philbert

I guess it's state dependant. (I looked it up). Here what I said is correct (there are some exceptions). Also over 14k gvwr needs dot number.

Till you find out what rules apply in your area. I'd just stop if there open. If there not interested, you'll get a green light and just proceed on.
It can go by weight or if it's commercial.
The trucks not stopping are probably running Qualcom. Most interstates have weigh in motion just before you enter the inspection station. Qualcom informs DPS your information and they get a green light on there monitor and they don't have to stop.
AGG restriction will vary as well.
But most privet ranchers dont stop.
I have rolled through thousands of weigh stations. Only got a few red lights for an inspection.
They have so much electronic sensors as you pull in. They already know everything about you they need to know.
They like it when you are prepared with your papers and log in hand.

That's what sucks is there's a million rules and tons of grey area.
We only have 1 weigh station that is open regularly here, I don't go that way too often.

That's what sucks is there's a million rules and tons of grey area.
We only have 1 weigh station that is open regularly here, I don't go that way too often.

I did a few years over the road. A year or so hauling fracking equipment, for Western Oil
Then switched to general fraught, from coast to coast.
Then got into transporting bank documents.
Then started driving a tree transplanter locally, and did that for 30 years.
I loved the tree work. WE had our own tree farms, so we ran farm tags.
Dot rarely never messed with us. To many amendments that exclude farm tags.
I've been retired for about 10 years.
I only got one ticket in all those years. And thats because I had mud stuck to the underside of my finders and when I hit a bump it came loose, rite in front of a DOT unit.
I got it thrown out.
I have few things to brag about but 30+ years behind the wheel of a big rig and a clean driving record, is one I'm proud of.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registration/do-i-need-usdot-number

Lots of information here. Every state is different. I have them on my F-350 for delivering the storage sheds we build. In WI 26,000 lbs is the cutoff for needing a CDL. My truck and trailer is licensed for 24,000lbs and I plan to stay under that just for that reason. I don't remember if you have to carry a certain amount of insurance to get the DOT number or not. We have to have the insurance for our annual oversize/overweight permits. The DOT number also gives the impression that you are trying to follow the rules. Appearance goes a long ways. I try to stay off the interstate whenever possible as well.

IMG_1348.JPG IMG_1603.JPG DSCF0354.JPG DSCF0513.JPG

There is a lot of laws and sometimes getting a straight answer is difficult. I spent a day calling the dept. of safety in Nashville trying to pin down a straight answer concerning incomplete vehicle document and proper tire loading label and payload capacity. The best guess consensus I got out of a host of people was don't worry about it unless your running commercial plates. Another thing to look at concerning weighted farm plates is distance traveled. I had read a while back something regarding a radius from your home when running a farm plate.

Thanks everyone. T. Mainus: I checked out the web site. Very helpful.

And conclude from the web site, I do not need a DOT registration as I'm not in the business of interstate commerce. The truck has sat most of the winter. Probably much harder on it then being used daily. Had the brake slides lubed, clutch cable replaced, windshield replaced, and the truck shop did a complete DOT check list inspection for my own peace of mind. I have commercial plates, and a new DOT inspection sticker. The truck is used for profit, but not over state lines. My son will be using it for a one time personal use trip to New York and back, through Canada. I may or may not go with him at this point. Good enough, I think. I may still check the Secretary of State on Monday.

Why does dealing with the government seems like poking a sleeping dog with a stick?

What is que? If you mean Quebec, it's a bit out of the way for this trip. New York finger lakes region, and a touch south. Sarnia to Niagara Falls will cut off maybe a hundred miles each way, at eight miles a gallon with a Cat 3126.
Is Raganr a French name? Doesn't 'r' sound like 'a' in French?

There is a lot of laws and sometimes getting a straight answer is difficult. I spent a day calling the dept. of safety in Nashville trying to pin down a straight answer concerning incomplete vehicle document and proper tire loading label and payload capacity. The best guess consensus I got out of a host of people was don't worry about it unless your running commercial plates. Another thing to look at concerning weighted farm plates is distance traveled. I had read a while back something regarding a radius from your home when running a farm plate.

Yes there is a restriction for farm plates, of 150 miles (I think) from your home base. Might be 250 miles.
I had to get a permit to drive a farm truck to Arkansas to have a tree digger installed in the truck.
But on the bright side, when they see farm plates, they just don't bother them.

I got pulled over by DOT and they were going to do a full inspection in the side of the road.
One trooper dawned his little white jumpsuit and got out his creeper and was ready to slide under my truck.
His partner noticed the farm tag and told his buddy. Never mind, he has farm tags.
I was curious to know why, and he explained. Even if I do fond a violation, 95% of the time the farm tag has an exemption.
Just goes to show, there after money, not safety.

I checked out the web site. . . . And conclude from the web site, I do not need a DOT registration as I'm not in the business of interstate commerce. . . . The truck is used for profit, but not over state lines. . . .
Again, there are State rules too. Here in Minnesota, a combined gross vehicle weight over 10,000 pounds, including a trailer, kicks in certain requirements.

The radius distance, mentioned above depends on the business that you are in, and whether or not a CDL is required. I think that it is the same whether the driver is Right or Left handed, but I am not sure . . . .

Philbert

Here it's 150 air miles from the farm.

Thanks everyone. T. Mainus: I checked out the web site. Very helpful.

And conclude from the web site, I do not need a DOT registration as I'm not in the business of interstate commerce. The truck has sat most of the winter. Probably much harder on it then being used daily. Had the brake slides lubed, clutch cable replaced, windshield replaced, and the truck shop did a complete DOT check list inspection for my own peace of mind. I have commercial plates, and a new DOT inspection sticker. The truck is used for profit, but not over state lines. My son will be using it for a one time personal use trip to New York and back, through Canada. I may or may not go with him at this point. Good enough, I think. I may still check the Secretary of State on Monday.

Why does dealing with the government seems like poking a sleeping dog with a stick?

What state are you in. Many require DOT # for just intrastate too. There is a long list on that site.

Yes there is a restriction for farm plates, of 150 miles (I think) from your home base. Might be 250 miles.
I had to get a permit to drive a farm truck to Arkansas to have a tree digger installed in the truck.
But on the bright side, when they see farm plates, they just don't bother them.

I got pulled over by DOT and they were going to do a full inspection in the side of the road.
One trooper dawned his little white jumpsuit and got out his creeper and was ready to slide under my truck.
His partner noticed the farm tag and told his buddy. Never mind, he has farm tags.
I was curious to know why, and he explained. Even if I do fond a violation, 95% of the time the farm tag has an exemption.
Just goes to show, there after money, not safety.

They did similar to a friend.

He had a tail light quit working on his 72 C40? C50? (I forget) dumper while hauling horse poo.

DOT just about read him his rights till he went to write down the plate # and saw "FARM". "Have a good day sir, get the light fixed when you have time"

Latest posts

Back