When is DOT truck registration and stopping at truck scales necessary?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most large shipping companies have turned to using Quallcomm instead of having to stop at every weigh station.
But DOT also uses mobile inspectors with portable scales, running back roads trying to catch drivers trying to avoid the scales.
I have seen them stop pickup trucks with 16' trailers. Don't know what violation they had going or the cops were just fishing for fines.
During TS Alison, the governor made an announcement that anyone could use any trailer regardless if it was licensed or not to move property out of harms way.

See what it takes to get farm plates. Corral a chicken and grow some pumpkins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's very hard to get a farm tag.
You have to prove you own a farm, grow crops, and use that equipment to get your product to market.
Lost of red tape involved, but worth it if you can get it.
The Amish are smart. they drive tractors on the roads. No license, no insurance, no age limit.
They use tractors with whats called an Amish gear that lets them reach blinding speeds of up to 40mph.

It's very hard to get a farm tag.
You have to prove you own a farm, grow crops, and use that equipment to get your product to market.
Lost of red tape involved, but worth it if you can get it.
The Amish are smart. they drive tractors on the roads. No license, no insurance, no age limit.
They use tractors with whats called an Amish gear that lets them reach blinding speeds of up to 40mph.

Not too hard here, just need to sign a paper saying you have a farm and your income is from it.

Up here just is like down there , every province is different .
If you see a scale house that is open you'll most likely have to stop in , you'll polly need to provide a log book .
I'm pretty sure that if your paperwork is in order you won't get any grief .

Up here just is like down there , every province is different .
If you see a scale house that is open you'll most likely have to stop in , you'll polly need to provide a log book .
I'm pretty sure that if your paperwork is in order you won't get any grief .

There mostly looking for over weight axles, registration, manifest and log book to check your speed and hours on duty.
Most driver keep a clean shinny truck, as to not draw attention.
If your driving a beat up rag. be prepared for lots of inspections.
They have rolling scales and stationary scales, Licenses plate recognition and DOT number recognition.
They have heat censers to see if your breaks are working. Some are located at the bottom of a long down hill grade. Kinda hard to have cool breaks when your holding back 80 thousand LB truck on a 5/6% grade. Them breaks better not be smoking! lol
They give you a chance to adjust your load and scale again.
Bridge weight laws are crazy as well.
Thats why I went local with a farmer, just to get away from all that regulation mess.

Not too hard here, just need to sign a paper saying you have a farm and your income is from it.
I think it's a lot more complicated then that.
You cant just sign a paper. You have to show W-2's, farming expenses, retail sales.
You have to prove it a legit farming operation that depends on agriculture for income.
You basically are audited to make sure your qualified.
Not quite as easy as you may think. At least not here in Texas.

I think it's a lot more complicated then that.
You cant just sign a paper. You have to show W-2's, farming expenses, retail sales.
You have to prove it a legit farming operation that depends on agriculture for income.
You basically are audited to make sure your qualified.
Not quite as easy as you may think. At least not here in Texas.

Nope. What I said is correct. I run farm plates on all my trucks.

Nope. What I said is correct. I run farm plates on all my trucks.

Well thats proof local laws are different.
We got lucky and bought farm equipment that was already had farm tags, from the previous owner.
Still had the deal with the bureaucracy to get it transferred to the new company.

I wonder if i can get farm tag in my delivery truck.

Well thats proof local laws are different.
We got lucky and bought farm equipment that was already had farm tags, from the previous owner.
Still had the deal with the bureaucracy to get it transferred to the new company.

I wonder if i can get farm tag in my delivery truck.

I am able to because logging is considered agriculture. (Farming trees)

I am able to because logging is considered agriculture. (Farming trees)

I don't farm anymore, per say. I don't grow a crop or trees. I collect wood and produce it for general sales.
Besides all my equipment doesn't require a DOT permit. My total rig and trailer loaded is under 10,000

Most large shipping companies have turned to using Quallcomm instead of having to stop at every weigh station.
But DOT also uses mobile inspectors with portable scales, running back roads trying to catch drivers trying to avoid the scales.
I have seen them stop pickup trucks with 16' trailers. Don't know what violation they had going or the cops were just fishing for fines.
During TS Alison, the governor made an announcement that anyone could use any trailer regardless if it was licensed or not to move property out of harms way.
DOT,,Fishing for fines,,why,,,,,,,,,,,thats UNamerican......................you ought live in iowa,,they are real honeys in this state,,,gestapo

I think some of the laws differ from state to state.
In California logging is only considered agriculture from the harvest area to the point of first manufacture. In other words, from the woods to the mill it falls under agricultural rules for trucking. Once the log has been processed in any way at the mill...debarked, trimmed to length or turned into lumber, the ag rules no longer apply.
Truckers with the ag exemption, in this case logging trucks, are subject to different HOS, both daily and in a consecutive day time frame.
Different rules apply to the trucks carrying lumber.

Okay... Thanks everyone. It is all perfectly crystal clear!
Ugh.

Check with your State Patrol. They probably have a Commercial Division that can answer your questions.
Better safe than sorry. I don't know about your state but out here the fines for non-compliance are huge and the truck cops very seldom cut anybody any slack. Not being familiar with the law is no excuse. The burden to know the law is on the owner of the vehicle.
If there's a state scale near you they could probably answer your questions before you wind up with a huge ticket.

I have driven for many trucking outfits. They like to stick the newbees in the old beaters.
Don't do it. That beater is sitting on the lot for reason.
Drive it and soon you'll have so many tickets, no one else will hire you.
Besides if you'er not spending all your time in court, you'er spending it broke down and waiting on repairs.
Dont walk away from them, RUN!!!!

Back