Where are Carlton saw chains manufactured?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All c-wood/poplar/aspen is invasive. Locally people hate it because when the trees fall, and they just sprout more cottonwoods from wherever they touch the ground. So you have to fall it and then get rid of it all. They are that easy to propagate (similar to willow) and that is how they make dense stands here along all the rivers and streams. We also have other types of c-wood here that are from the east that people brought with them and planted on their farms. It has a solid white center, vs. the green-grey center wood of black c-wood.

That is one bad-ass log there, must be a bytch to buck and split. And for all that effort you get pretty low quality firewood. Does that species stink when it is burned like black c-wood does? I do not burn black c-wood any more because it smells like cat pee to me. Guys in Maine say that the Balsam c-wood smells the same when its burned.

i have a balsam poplar round, about 18" in diameter by 24" length, that i've been using as a work surface in front of my shop. like california, we've been having a hundred year drought, but recently i needed to move that round and found it had a three inch thick root ball under it.

regarding cottonwood as firewood, the most common firewood here is ponderosa pine. in california you can't give that stuff away. but it does smell nice. cottonwood on the other hand makes a lot of btu's and produces long lasting embers. so, it's easy to start a fire when you get up in the morning. fremont doesn't smell too bad. balsam has it's own perfume. the cottonwood here is no harder to split that the oak in california.

I know it's an old thread but just thought I'd add this photo of a new 100' roll of Carlton A3EP semi chisel I received this week from the Australian distributor. Anybody in the US know why it's suddenly coming out of Canada? No doubt it's a Blount thing and to do with their ownership of Oregon...

I recently noticed several packages of Oregon brand chain that were labeled "Made in Canada". Oregon has made guide bars there for over 50 years, but chains used to be labeled: 'Made in USA', 'Made in Brazil', or ' Assembled in China from components made in USA or Brazil'.

Philbert

When it comes to chain, my logging crew rates Stihl first, Carlton and Oregon tied for second, and the rest "also rans". It varies somewhat by the production run. Now and then we get a lemon reel even from the top three. I have to wonder if I ever slipped in a Silver Streak loop now and then if they would ever notice.

One was Traeger, the inventor of the pellet smoker grill. They were a metalwork company south of me in Mt Angel, OR. They sold out, and the entire product line is made in China now and the quality has completely tanked.[/QUOTE]
and they still are really high priced!!!

I know it's an old thread but just thought I'd add this photo of a new 100' roll of Carlton A3EP semi chisel I received this week from the Australian distributor. Anybody in the US know why it's suddenly coming out of Canada? No doubt it's a Blount thing and to do with their ownership of Oregon...

Hey there Matt

Would that be my chain by any chance?

Cheers

Hey there Matt

Would that be my chain by any chance?

Cheers

No mate as I had yours made already but needed more for stock. I reckon it will still be OK as personally I don't mind Oregon chain (not the Brazilian stuff though) providing it is coming out of an Oregon factory.

I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) Oregon chain I have seen here has been labeled "made in Canada" - but I will take a look at the packages (boxes and plastic bags) that I have here tomorrow....

I looked at what I have here, as indicated above - and it actually was a pretty even mix between USA and Canada.

The older stuff said USA, and all from after 2007 or so said Canada.

Has anyone tried the 1/4" pitch Micro Chisel 25A by Oregon?
4501.jpeg

Has anyone tried the 1/4" pitch Micro Chisel 25A by Oregon?
4501.jpeg
Yes but I got it off ebay with no packaging so it could be counterfit and no telling how long ago it was made so not going to be much help as far as where it is made. Unless you get a "deal" on it I would recommend the 61pmm3 stihl stuff. I have not tried stihl 1/4 inch chain either. Of course depending on what sort of use you have in mind. It is not chipper say the cutters are half way between 3/8 lo pro 0.050 and 0.043 the depth gague is relatively far forward and the cutter edge to sliding surface is just a bit more than 91vx and 61pmm3.

Attachments

• P2280032.JPG
    P2280032.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 10
Yes but I got it off ebay with no packaging so it could be counterfit and no telling how long ago it was made so not going to be much help as far as where it is made. Unless you get a "deal" on it I would recommend the 61pmm3 stihl stuff. I have not tried stihl 1/4 inch chain either. Of course depending on what sort of use you have in mind.
I googled Blount Oergon and found the pic on a site out of Belgium. I didn't know Oregon also sold atv batteries.
I used to live 20 miles from the factory in Guelph Ontario, but was never in there. I should have gone dumpster diving. Lol

The new rolls of Carlton A1LM i just got say made in canada but everything on the shelf...K1, K2, K3, N1C all say made in USA

This may explain some of it:

Blount will cut 200 jobs, close Portland-area factory after second-quarter sales slide
By Molly Young [email protected]
August 07, 2013

Saw-chain maker Blount International Inc. will lay off 200 and shutter a Portland-area factory after the company's second-quarter profits fell by nearly one-third.

The Milwaukie manufacturer announced plans to consolidate two local factories into one on Wednesday, as part of its quarterly financial results. The company also disclosed an systems control problem that will force it to amend past financial statements.

The news hit hard on Wall Street, where shares of the company's stock fell 8.8 percent to $11.66 before the market closed.

Blount reported net income of $9.3 million during the three months ending June 30, down 29 percent from the same time last year. Sales declined 8 percent during that period, to $220.4 million

Second-quarter earnings per share were 19 cents, compared to 26 cents a year ago.

In its earnings release, the company said the late-arriving spring hurt domestic sales, and economic uncertainty dampened eurozone sales. Demand also fell in Asia. Chairman and chief executive Josh Collins said in the statement that all of the company's major markets were weaker this year than last. "In the second quarter, we continued to be challenged by difficult economic conditions," he said.

Blount makes equipment geared for the gardening, forestry and agricultural industries under several brands, including Oregon, SpeeCo and Carlton. It employs 4,500 worldwide.

Blount acquired the Carlton Co. in 2008, and continued to operate out of Carlton's Milwaukie plant. But it will consolidate those operations later this year into a larger nearby factory. The plans had been in the works for years, company spokesman David Dugan said.

The company expects the move to save between $6 million and $8 million annually.

Blount also plans to amend its 2012 annual report and first quarter 2013 report after a routine review uncovered a "material weakness" tied to computer systems controls. The company also found a possible accounting issue that could result in a non-cash charge to its fourth-quarter 2012 operating income.

Blount said it won't file its second-quarter report with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission until the review is finished, meaning it could potentially miss its Friday filing deadline.

--Molly Young

Philbert

Yes, there is still a lot of Carlton stock being made in the USA, and that is good stuff. They have a large manufacturing facility here in Milwaukie, OR where they still make loops. I have a lot of it, and I like it second only to Stihl. The Troll thinks Carlton sucks, but he dearly loves Oregon. Funny, as they are both now owned by the same parent company, Blount. I find Oregon to be way too soft. Oregon makes Husky B&C, so that may explain why the Troll likes it so much. Husky is going to be making their own B&C starting this or next year though. Someplace in their global manufacturing empire.

Both Oregon and Carlton companies were started here near where I live. Oregon was founded in Portland in 1947. Ray Carlton was an engineer at Oregon and in 1963 he peeled off his own chain company and located it in Milwaukie, a suburb of Portland. In 1985 Oregon was bought out by Blount. Blount later bought Frederick Manufacturing, located in Kansas City, Missouri in 1997, and they moved a lot of the Oregon product production there. In 2002 Blount moved here to the Oregon facility in Portland from Alabama. In 2008 Blount bought out Carlton. Blount manufactures stuff in the United States, Canada, Brazil and China. Both Oregon and Carlton are becoming internationally made products. Carlton loops are for the most part still made here in Milwaukie, and Oregon loops are made in Missouri and Canada. But they also make both Oregon and Carlton stuff in China now as well, and some stuff in Brazil.
good read there!

My rolls are all 6 Months or less old and the k1nk I just got a month or so ago. The A1LM just came this week. Got a deal do I ordered a bunch. It is boxed in plain white boxes on plain brown rolls compared to the older stuff that is labeled Carlton everywhere you look

My rolls are all 6 Months or less old and the k1nk I just got a month or so ago. The A1LM just came this week. Got a deal do I ordered a bunch. It is boxed in plain white boxes on plain brown rolls compared to the older stuff that is labeled Carlton everywhere you look

Yep and the 100' rolls are in rectangular boxes now not square. Same box and spool shape as Oregon.

Back