Where (else) to get square tube for granberg rails?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Curry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 24" Granberg mill, which is large enough to handle 85% of the stuff in my woods. I figured I'd go with the smaller one, and wait to upgrade until I ran into something bigger. Well that day ended up arriving sooner than I thought: my sister and BIL had a 4' diameter walnut taken down this spring. I cut up the tops for them to use as firewood, and I'm milling the rest.

I'd like to upgrade to a 48" or larger. There's only 2 places that I know of that sell the rail kits to widen your mill - Bailey's, and Granberg themselves. Of course, Baileys was out of stock last I checked (or maybe the 'out of stock' thing is just part of their business strategy to ding you a couple extra times on the shipping? They ALWAYS split my order.:angry:) I emailed Granberg to find out if they had them in stock, but they have yet to get back to me.

I posted a want ad here looking for some, and @Jon1212 suggested that this very basic sort of aluminum extrusion could probably be found elsewhere, cheaper. I really liked that idea too, that way I could make them any size I want. I've found a few that might be workable, but I thought I'd ask here to see if you guys know of any.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn.

In Australia road signs are attached to posts using aluminium "Highway sign unistrut"
There are two types "regular" and "HD".
Regular looks like the Granberg mill rail while the cross section of the HD look like this.
It's a lot stronger that the regular and is what I used on my mills.
I also used it on roof racks for my van and a bunch of other stuff around my shop.
984019profiles.jpg

I use square nuts with a chamfer ground on two sides so 5/16 inch bolts can mount accessories on 80/20 series 15 rails. These nuts give a good purchase on the rails.

SquareNutl.jpg

802015.jpg

Attachments

• 802015.jpg
    802015.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back