Where moved posts go for eternity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No answers on Sassafras. Thats what I was looking for on those charts. I have one offered to me to go cut up and was wondering if its worth my time to go and get it. Is sassafras called something differant in other parts of the country?

Need info

Probably the most valuble reference I could pass along to my fellow AS wood burners... If you guys have seen this, or is a duplicate of another post- please forgive me! This is the best wood comparison chart that I have seen, take it or leave it- here you guys go. Take care, Jeff

Sweep's Library - Firewood BTU Comparison Charts
If I dry wood with heat air of a oil burner will the wood after being dry have a oily small when burn in the fireplace. I was told no but my brain say yes.THKs

I question the reliability of this chart ... Red Oak is one of the easiest woods to split imo, far from "Difficult".

I would have to agree with you there. I split a ton of Red Oak and White Ash and both should be in the easy category.

Firewood prices

In the area I live in firewood by the rank split dried oak has got down to $20.00 you pick up. Do to the fact according to Craigs list there are a 164 fire wood sellers on site. That is not counting the ones that don't advertise. There are 6 with in a mile of me that don't advertise.
I bought a cord of mixed hard wood delivered for $50.00. Firewood has gone to the dogs in my area. In St. Louis Mo. The price fell but still high. Firewood people with the equipment to move large loads there are doing all right still but as more people move there wood there the price fight will start. Later

Well now I have. Got some in a load we cut from one of the parish properties. We'll see how it fires up next winter. It is most certainly dense.

Other than it will burn hot enough to burn your stove up you will notice the extended burn times. Thats a real pleasure not having to re load the stove near as often as you would using other types of wood.

Wood to burn

No answers on Sassafras. Thats what I was looking for on those charts. I have one offered to me to go cut up and was wondering if its worth my time to go and get it. Is sassafras called something differant in other parts of the country?
I burn Sassafras and have no problems some of my customers like a few sticks. To ad to there fire. It might be bad wood but it burns ok hard to split you have to work with it but if free you have to pay some way later

Other than it will burn hot enough to burn your stove up you will notice the extended burn times. Thats a real pleasure not having to re load the stove near as often as you would using other types of wood.

Don't have a ton of it to burn, but it seems to have a distinct smell. I'll be careful with the overheating aspect as it's getting harder to find the parts for an '84 Hearthstone.

Don't have a ton of it to burn, but it seems to have a distinct smell. I'll be careful with the overheating aspect as it's getting harder to find the parts for an '84 Hearthstone.

Your neighbors will think you're burning incense. Lol

The smoke does have an appealing smell. Hearthstone are wonderful stoves. Dad is still using one about the same age as yours. Be ready for the sparks when you are ready to reload unless you let it burn down to hot coals. It's kind of like welding if you don't, you're going to feel a few hot stings unless you're really fast.:hmm3grin2orange:

I've often wondered if there would be a way we could combine all these different lists, since each one is missing some species. We couldn't really assign a hard number to the BTU rating of the different woods by doing this, since each test comes up with a different number for the same species, but one could at least 'put them in order' relative to each other. If a couple species were pretty close to each other, it really wouldn't matter too much how they ranked in the list. The actual number of BTUs could probably still be inferred pretty closely from their relation to ones that were commonly on the lists.

One tree I have in my area that I've never seen in a list is Frasier Magnolia, which grows mostly in the S. Appalachians. It's not outstanding firewood, but if you've ever seen these trees they can get quite big and the wood is easy to split. I made an attempt to figure it out myself once by using the weight from a silvics manual, and came up with a guesstimation of around 17. So just a bit better than poplar, but not as good as red maple.

It'll be fine... Properties you'll find are... Ignites slower than a good dry piece of Beech... Burns hotter than a good dry piece of Oak... Lasts longer than a good dry piece of Hickory... But also will leave more coals and clinkers than anything else... Which is fine, but will fill up a wood stove quick... Kind of an annoying trait as far as I'm concerned... But kinda worth it at times... The Aussies are always talking about the janka hardness scale, but Osage orange was only tested green from my findings, so it means nothing to me till someone explains why...
Just sayin'...:msp_rolleyes:

persimmon tree

Just got back from woods.A 40'x 32" base persimmon tree was a blow over.Question split and stacked how long for seasoned.I never knew persimmon was that good btu til I looked it up.

Just got back from woods.A 40'x 32" base persimmon tree was a blow over.Question split and stacked how long for seasoned.I never knew persimmon was that good btu til I looked it up.

Persimmon is a high moisture content wood... If you can give it a year plus, do so... Split and stack now, and next year would be ok, but the year after would be awesome...
By the way, 32" is massive for a persimmon...

Last edited:
It'll be fine... Properties you'll find are... Ignites slower than a good dry piece of Beech... Burns hotter than a good dry piece of Oak... Lasts longer than a good dry piece of Hickory... But also will leave more coals and clinkers than anything else... Which is fine, but will fill up a wood stove quick... Kind of an annoying trait as far as I'm concerned... But kinda worth it at times... The Aussies are always talking about the janka hardness scale, but Osage orange was only tested green from my findings, so it means nothing to me till someone explains why...
Just sayin'...:msp_rolleyes:

rep bang

I was really surprised to see oak listed as higher BTU than hedge?? Every book or chart I have ever seen always listed hedge the highest. I know that it will burn the grates right out of my furnace and heat alot hotter/longer than any thing else I have evr burnt and I have burn't alot of oak as well as others.

Keep the ash level below your grates and the grates will last much longer.

I got hold of some sycamore winter of '10, burned it last year. Always thought sycamore wasn't good for anything, but that stuff burned just fine. Wish I had about 10 more cords of it. I pretty much burn whatever I can get to fit in my stove, but some species are much better than others.

Latest posts

Back