Where to buy a bow bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuttingInKs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Maybe one of you know a company that still makes bow bars?

We used them in the logging woods up till the late 90s and I would like to use one now for firewood.
Anyone know a company that still makes them?

I tried Eastern Texas Bow and couldn't reach anyone. I tried Bowen Inc. in VA and don't think I have the correct phone number.

I also left a message with Cannon Bar makers to see if they still produce them.

Thanks for any intel.

Thanks for the replys, I have talked with the folks at Chain Bar Repair in Portland OR. They gave me some good information but did not have anything firewood or pulpwood cutting style. They will rebuild a old one if i can find one.

I run a clearing bow on my 2153 which is awesome for 4" and under stuff. Can't remember where I bought it from but it was pricey-some where from the southeast if I remember right? Try this website though, www.mercuryequip.com

Most of the people who yell about how dangerous they are I'm betting have never used one.

I am putting it on a Stihl 036 or 046.

Marc, I think you are right, I used them as a teenager cutting pulpwood and never had any problems.

There are two different style of bow bars, the " christmas tree farm" ones and the old style pulp wood ones. Christmas tree bow bars are still being produced. Apparently the pulp or firewood bars, which are more circular that the chirstmas tree models had to stop being produced when the safety anti kickback laws passed years ago.

Does anyone out there happen to have a decent old bow bar that I can mount on a stihl?

http://www.southernforestryproducts.com/pages/cutting_bars.html

I picked up one of these for kicks, it's more of a clearing bar. I got the 24in on an Stihl 036pro and it rips pretty good. I like not having to bend over as far (I'm 6'4) i only have used it on some green hickory and it did very well. Super nice customer service but is not cheep....I'm not sure if it was worth the investment just yet

If you would like some pictures I can snag some next to my poulan bow saws

Thanks Newoldschool.

I just talked to Jeff at southern forestry products, he was informative, but they are expensive.

I will try and remember to get on here and post a review.

Newoldschool how is the kickback?

I run a larger pulp bow bar on a 041 but it's too valuable to me to part with it. Newoldschool reminded me, Southern Forestry Products is where I got my clearing bar. The Mercury Equipment webpage does show a pulp style bar... Good Luck

Just like any bow bar keep the dog tight to the wood and you will not have kick back. I do like the full top and bottom guards. Only the bow is exposed. Did you order one? Also what saw are you putting this on?

I have a couple of bows lying around but not sure of fitment. One is on an old Homelite and one I got "loose" so don't know what it's off. These can usually be modified to fit about anything but may require widening the slot, repositioning the adjustment or oiler holes, etc. Here in Georgia they come to the surface fairly regularly but have a pretty strong demand.

Took some shots with my 036pro with the brush bar from the link I posted earlier and my 306 and 4000 with normal 13in bow bars for comparison. The Stihl oil jug is for a size reference
dec25ac18abc56a7d029a7503d1fb6bf.jpg
b4a93e38348433cabe5914ac10c71535.jpg
4f6025d8fb17856b4671bb68db2e113e.jpg
95d4aacce435dbe8ea33a2f7c7ab3d03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 026 belongs to Wye8. Bow bars were mostly used in the south for bucking up pulp wood. They allow you to buck logs without bending over and the open design with narrow rails prevents pinching.

Back