Where to buy a bow bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
077502cd7623eeb375b522ef81590095.jpg

A few stihl and one husky, all were from Portland

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Indeed they do... How are you feeling?
I am getting around good but much slower than before. Everthing takes longer. With thick inserts and proper shoes it is like walking on a mattress. I have a bow bar like the ones in the pictures but it is for pro Stihl(12.4 slot). I was going to put it on one of the saws that I have running for show and tell but none are big Stihls. Must make bar adapter. How are you?

I am getting around good but much slower than before. Everthing takes longer. With thick inserts and proper shoes it is like walking on a mattress. I have a bow bar like the ones in the pictures but it is for pro Stihl(12.4 slot). I was going to put it on one of the saws that I have running for show and tell but none are big Stihls. Must make bar adapter. How are you?

Just got a pacemaker last Thursday, so no playing with saws. My resting heart rate was hovering around 30.

Sorry for the hijack,

But what purpose, if any, do those silly looking bars have?
Silly??? The curvature of the bow opens the chain cut up for a more aggressive cut. The forks on the bottom of the bow are there to keep the chainsaw from kicking back. Best cutting saw ever made that you can use. Stupid people use them improperly and got hurt and or killed so they are no longer produced, very hard to fine now and expensive.

I run a clearing bow on my 2153 which is awesome for 4" and under stuff. Can't remember where I bought it from but it was pricey-some where from the southeast if I remember right? Try this website though, www.mercuryequip.com

Most of the people who yell about how dangerous they are I'm betting have never used one.
You are betting 100% correct!! Throughout the 80s going into the 90s, that is all I used!! Bow bar. 18 and a 20 inch bow bar. East Texas Bow made both of mine. And don’t buy any of that stuff that the US government outlawed them. NO. THEY. DID. NOT!! I know this for 2 reasons.

1. I called our “regional OSHA OFFICE. And I had a good conversation with a gentleman that had almost 30 years working for OSHA and he knew exactly what I was talking about even though I emailed him a picture of mine. He called me back just like he said he would two days later and he said there’s no federal regulation the outlawed them. ( PERIOD. Thank you Tucker Carlson!)

2. I have a first cousin that is a very prominent civil trial lawyer here in Montana. I had him have his law-firms para-legal Dept research it on a state wide database if it was outlawed by Montana or Idaho or Wyoming . Because all 3 over-lap on nearly all “public civil laws.” Not my state or the other 2 have. Now, a state can outlaw things he let me know. But then the state can run into a situation where somebody files a suit against them for outlying their industry. But, if they was going to be done away with, I can tell you what hurt them more than anything.

Crybabies like you see on this website. Saying things like this scared cry baby said. “ I would not recommend them to nobody because they’re so dangerous!” Horse-shi!! I learned how to cut firewood with them. Not with a bar. As many cords of wood that I cut, I would not have a back!! And I had no trouble at any-time falling my timber. And all the ones I cut out here in Montana, Grow like a telephone pole. Straight up! No limbs for 100 to 150 feet. Drop the tree, then walk out and simply cut the small bushy top off. Simple. Then cut it up every 20 inches.

Here is a link to the best bow saw thread on A.S.:

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/history-of-bow-saws.109002/
A search will turn up about 5 more pages of links.

I don’t know if anyone is still making new bow bars. Insurance and liability issues may be a factor, even if not specially banned by OSHA. Used bow bars might be your best option.

Philbert

Southern forestry bow bars are a good source. They told me that their bars are more for brushing. Do look at the site, you will see that the shape of their bow is different from the older type forestry bow.

Latest posts

Back