Where to buy a long tree felling lever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find out what night or day they meet and stop in to see what is going on. Explain to the instructor your interest and see if he would let you hang out to observe, at least it may give you a feel for it.
Also while you are in between check some sources at the library and believe it or not you-tube, there are folks that like to share their projects with others also.
Have fun.

But let me ask another question: It seemed to me that he was in an awkward position squatting down to cut like that. If something had gone wrong, it would have been more difficult to get out of the way. I always cut up higher, where I can be standing. Then, after the tree is down, I'll kneel down and cut the stump off at ground level. Right or wrong? Ken

Depends. If cutting for logs, wrong. We forester types want to see short stumps. In fact, maximum stump height is often specified in the contracts. It isn't just for utilization, but for future uses. Logs and equipment can get hung up on high stumps. Low is good. On second growth, the stump height is usually 12 inches and below.

Of course, there are exceptions. On steep, vertical slopes, high stumps are sometimes made to keep the logs from rolling down the slope after they are cut. High stumps are used to hold decks in place on a steep sidehill. High stumps are left when in the road right of way. That makes it easier to shove them over with a dozer.

He didn't look awkward at all. If he is in proper physical condition, he should be able to get out of the way just fine when hunkered over. That is easy ground he's cutting on. Real flat.

I want to learn to weld, I see too many neat projects by guys who know how to weld. My son is storing his welding outfit here, so I have access once I figure out what I'm doing.

Ken

I have a friend who built a chopper frame on his own and fabricates stuff all the time. (I'm jealous) He said the classes are good, but if you have gear available, learn the basics, get some scrap, and practice, practice, practice.:msp_thumbup:

Back