Where to buy hydraulic hoses for new splitter build?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Chaplin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good evening all,

For those of you that have built a custom splitter, where did you buy your hoses/fittings from?

I'm hoping to have the fab work done on my new build this weekend and the only two things I'm missing are hoses/fittings and the hydraulic fluid.

I'm in Dayton Oh and I've called a couple of hydraulic shops who neither seemed interested because they did all commercial stuff. We have Tractor Supply and Rural King but not sure about how good their selection is or will be.

Just looking for the simplest solution to the hose/fitting situation?

Discount Hydraulic Hose is where I ordered a bunch revently. They were less than half the cost of local.

Good evening all,

For those of you that have built a custom splitter, where did you buy your hoses/fittings from?

I'm hoping to have the fab work done on my new build this weekend and the only two things I'm missing are hoses/fittings and the hydraulic fluid.

I'm in Dayton Oh and I've called a couple of hydraulic shops who neither seemed interested because they did all commercial stuff. We have Tractor Supply and Rural King but not sure about how good their selection is or will be.

Just looking for the simplest solution to the hose/fitting situation?
check some of your local tractor repair shops.most of them should/will build hoses to specs. my one buddy is cheap and buys hoses for his farm implements at tractor supply. they seem ok for his use on implements. not sure how they will hold up on a splitter.

Surplus center is where I order all my components from. If you have a NAPA store they will crimp all the fittings on the hoses for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check first. No place here will touch stuff that's not theirs.

Napa wouldn't even shorten a hose THEY made 6" too long, wanted me to buy a new one at about $100.

I guess we are odd, there are no real tractor dealers. A few places sell up to a 'big" compact tractor, that's it.
Shoot the local John Deere "dealer" didn't know what a skidder was when we tried to order parts for the 648!

I always thought the couple hydraulic hose places were really expensive. I ordered about $500 of hoses and fitting from Discount Hoses. I priced it locally just to check, it would have been about $1200.

I usually cant wait to order hoses. When one blows, I am down until I get it replaced. Locally, I have several auto part stores that make up hoses. I have bought a few at the local New Holland/Kubota dealer, but they are very proud of their stuff and price accordingly. My biggest problems is getting more than one hose made at a time. It seems that the auto parts store only stock enough fittings to make up one hose. If I need two hoses of the same size, I have to buy one at one store and the other at a different store.

My nephew sell hose so it's pretty handy for me. I don't always buy from him but do once in awhile, just got 3 hoses for my back hoe last Saturday on the long weekend. :) TSC has recently just raised their prices to a crazy level and have pathetic stock at the best of times. Princess auto is usually pretty good and has most stuff in stock and they will make up whatever you need. Lots of auto supply places here also sell hose and fittings but their stock is usually pretty low. Sometimes have to get extra fittings to make stuff work and that just costs more money. I've never tried the online stuff. I keep a pretty decent stock of odds and ends and can usually get myself going again if I really have to.

I ended up getting a used portable gates 4-20 crimper and made my own. I had to make so many changes to reroute hydraulics. So glad I have one. If I break a hose on the weekend I just make another. Always breaking hoses on my skid steer attachments. Now friends are getting to know I have one and I am making hoses for them. I had to use hoses for 4000 psi and highers. Auto parts stores and farm stores normally only sell 3000 psi hoses.

f88846db2de4f6b8b7486099b50ca1ca.jpg

You can see the crimper in the back on the bench.

I have gotten a bunch of fittings from surplus center but they don't have everything. Got a few odd fittings from discounthydraulichose dot com. I have a mix of Flat Face, SAE o-ring, and npt

I have had good luck using hoses and fitting from surplus center in Lincoln Ne. For me they are fairly local. All the Hyd components on the last wood splitter and wood processor I built came from them. Much cheaper than the local hyd hose stores. Our tractor supply stores around here aren't stock well on hyd hoses and fittings.

Latest posts

Back