Where to climb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree top

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a "green climber" and have been working on the trees for about two years. I went to climbing school in North Carolina and have been climbing here in NJ but am wanting more. I have friends in California, home of the old growth conifers that everybody reads about. I'm interested in going climbing out there but don't know where to go or who to talk to.

Can anybody help?

Also looking for some local enthusiasts too!

Tree top

Revealing a favorite tall tree climb location is like posting your best trout fishing hole. The only time I saw my father lie outright was coming out of the woods with a creel full of fat native brook trout and telling a stranger who asked that we had no luck.

At minimum bring your gear when you go out, check out state parks local to where your friends are. Read up on coastal forest habitat. You'll need something to shoot your throwbag up higher than you can probably throw in a tight woods situation. There's plenty of tall second growth redwood and doug fir that's still way higher than anything we have in the east. Talk to locals when you're there and good tree locations will come out of the woodwork. Sometimes just standing in the forest looking up at these massive trees is enough.
-moss

Hey Tree Top,

I live in Northern California (Humboldt County) and would enjoy going for a climb with somebody. Moss is right about the high tie in points, but there are trees that are accessible without a launching device. There is also much exploring to be done in the second growth.

I don't advocate climbing the trees in the National and State Parks, though. There are plenty of good trees out of the protected spots. Let me know if you are going to be in the area and maybe we can arrange a climb.

GB

The redwood national parks are for sure off limits to rec climbing. There are state parks that are not designated old-growth redwood sites that (I think) would be reasonable to climb in. At least the last time I was in one of them in the coast ranges south of San Francisco it was very quiet, very few visitors, an out of the way untraveled place and there were some fine trees, not super giants but very good sized. Definitely you'd want to check the rules for any public land location to make sure climbing was not prohibited.
-moss

Big tree top thanks

Thanks guys for the info. GB, I going to be planning the trip for about a month from now. I'll stay in touch on the forum, maybe hook up when I get out there.

Tree top

Back