Where to trim

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furick1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This branch has a V with one part that was previously cut by former home owner. I trimmed down the other branch (horizontal) but would appreciate advice on where to make the final cut(s). If it didn’t have the V I would cut a little away from the trunk to complete but with the V, I wonder if I should recut the older trimmed branch as well. I’m a newbie and am borrowing a friends chain saw to make the final cuts.

829d8a5474e7eb717662d103650e3edc.jpg

1d98a4d17e5135aecc952b4270e9da46.jpg

You can trim this closer to the trunk, but it will sucker and sprout anywhere you cut it. Do not cut into the main trunk and do not 'flush-cut' the limb. It's better to leave a bit more limb than it is to try and get it all and cut into the main tree.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would place my saw at the top, staying just to the right of the crotch - away from trunk and cut slightly angled to end 2 inches from the base of the trunk. 75 degree cut or so will keep you off the branch collar.

The limb in question doesn't really have a branch collar, it's almost more of a co-dominate leader. As such there is not going to be a perfect 'target' cut.

This is why pruning early in a tree's life is so important. That limb could easily been removed with no negative effect to the tree is we only had a time machine.

Experienced and knowledgeable arborist take their best shots at cuts like this and that is best that can be done.

We are not going to be able to draw a line marking the best cut on a two dimensional photo.

I would not be making a undercut on this cut as it would be very difficult to line up the two cuts. I would take most of the weight off though with another cut being made before the final cut.

I agree that I need another cut before the final to take off weight. I appreciate the input from the forum. We have some old and large trees around the neighborhood here in North Arlington, VA. This is my first foray into tree trimming and will keep my eye on the other trees on the property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not be making a undercut on this cut as it would be very difficult to line up the two cuts. I would take most of the weight off though with another cut being made before the final cut.

I make my under cuts outward from where the top cut comes through. You end up breaking the stub off and then cleaning the cut as you pass the undercut on the trunk side. Under cut is just there to make sure the bark doesn't get peeled.

Jeff, you don't think the suckering on this is going to be more problems in the long run? I've got an ash that's got a branch stub with 50 years of trimming and some of the stubs have rotted into cavities. I'm going to try to remove the bad wood and hopefully get a callous to protect the cut this time.

I make my under cuts outward from where the top cut comes through. You end up breaking the stub off and then cleaning the cut as you pass the undercut on the trunk side. Under cut is just there to make sure the bark doesn't get peeled.

Sounds like a good technique but maybe hard to teach a newby via the internet.

What I suggest is making a rough cut that leaves just a 2 inch or so cookie left to be remove with the final pruning cut.

Sounds like you and I would have the same end result.

But the problem that remains is how to show this fellow exactly 'where' to make this final cut.

Jeff, you don't think the suckering on this is going to be more problems in the long run? I've got an ash that's got a branch stub with 50 years of trimming and some of the stubs have rotted into cavities. I'm going to try to remove the bad wood and hopefully get a callous to protect the cut this time.

No I don't,
first, google CODIT , you will not help the tree by making it more aesthetic using pruning methods, like it was mentioned, there is no collar,
any cut you make is just an added wound,
I was being serious when I said to paint it yellow and attach a bird feeder,
and suckering can be controlled early if monitored.
Leaving a stub can probably help with CODIT,,basically, I would keep from making a large wound at the trunk.
Jeff,

My buddy didn’t come through today with the chainsaw so I did the next cut by hand. I think I’m going to leave it as is because the comment about trimming too close to the trunk especially near the base concerned me. Maybe I’ll find a plant or bird feeder to put there as was suggested.
529641d2a07f46d42d989df191b612d6.jpg

Latest posts

Back