Where you climb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, I'm wondering where people climb, tree's in your yard, in local forests, in parks??? I guess what I'm really wondering is if anyone climbs trees in public parks in their area. I always find awsome trees in parks but worry about climbing them, but is it normal? The few times I have people gave me dirty looks, so I try to find trees where no ones around. How bout yalls?

That's got to be the most difficult problem for rec climbers. There are incredible trees in the city parks all around me but I can't climb them (against the law). I climb in my friends and neighbors yards (they like my light pruning service in exchange for climbing rights) and I go to state land just outside the city where there are no express rules against climbing ('cause they don't know about it, yet) and I climb in areas where I'm unlikely to have contact with people. I'm thinking about how best to introduce the idea of legal recreational climbing in my local city parks.
-moss

Hey I imagine most parks don't have express rules against tree climbing...but when/if teh paper pushers find out about it...you can bet there will be...imagine the liability for wrongful death from a guy or gal falling out of a tree when ALL the county/city had to do was say "NO climbing! After all Nurse Ratchett knows best! I was noticing some awesome pines and oaks at my local park to learn in then trying to decide what would happen if I actually took climbing gear there...maybe I will find out since there is no known rule against it :)

Diesel JD said:
Hey I imagine most parks don't have express rules against tree climbing...but when/if teh paper pushers find out about it...you can bet there will be...imagine the liability for wrongful death from a guy or gal falling out of a tree when ALL the county/city had to do was say "NO climbing! After all Nurse Ratchett knows best! I was noticing some awesome pines and oaks at my local park to learn in then trying to decide what would happen if I actually took climbing gear there...maybe I will find out since there is no known rule against it :)

see, thats where Im coming from. There arent express rules here either, and recreational tree climbing is unheard of, so I figure I should take advantage while I can, who knows when this stuff might catch on as a sport and then they write some rules about tree climbing and then you cant climb them for sure. I also figure the most someone can do is tell you to get down. As long as your not making a scene you should be alright.

I climb on our property - but usually to get things done. We have a lot of trees (240 acres worth) so there is no need to go elsewhere.

I suspect no one would care if you climbed in the forests either. If you hurt yourself, there isn't anything you could do legally. Lawsuits like that are non-existant down here in Costa Rica.

yeah, i just figured out last weekend that cemetaries are an untapped source of great climbing. as long as the grounds-keeper dont find you i guess!

I will climb a tree in a public park without hesitation. Have done so many times.

The parks are provided for public use. You can jog through, cycle around, admire the flowers, wheel your baby in her stroller, or play frisbee with your dog.

I used to be a parkie, and I've seen some unexplainable abuse of public parks, but climbing a tree would not fall into the category of activities I would see a need to put a stop to.

And how could I? Or why would I stop you? On what grounds?

If I stop you from climbing the big Beech tree, do I stop the nine-year-old from climbing the flowering Crabapple?

Climbing in a cemetery is different. It is not public ground.

Permission should be obtained from the Head groundskeeper, who is usually a qualified horticulturalist in his own right. He will be able to direct you to trees that won't have groups of solemn mourners beneath you.

RedlineIt

Sizzle-Chest said:
yeah, i just figured out last weekend that cemetaries are an untapped source of great climbing. as long as the grounds-keeper dont find you i guess!

Not bad for a man of your age sizzle, as your profile puts you @ 80 !!

I climb mostly in parks or national forests. I've been kicked out a couple parks. You win some, you lose some!

This sorta goes without saying, but the further you can get from other people, trails, ect, and the quieter you are, the better your chances are of climbing un-bothered.

Leave no trace!

love
nick

NickfromWI said:
I climb mostly in parks or national forests. I've been kicked out a couple parks. You win some, you lose some!

This sorta goes without saying, but the further you can get from other people, trails, ect, and the quieter you are, the better your chances are of climbing un-bothered.

Leave no trace!

love
nick

good point, but at the same time, if you're by yourself you're further from help if you need it. i know its not good to climb by yourself, but not too many people are itching to climb trees. By the way Redbull, what kind of exotic fur pelts do you have. I have a coat made of Linx fir and bald eagle feathers. ;)

Where you are climbing for training or for fun :confused:
Here this is not the problem. We have evrywhere "public forests". Go and climb.
Personally I have climbed on trees with some longer pauses "all my life", for the fun, photographing, for the pruning-felling. As strange it is, but the largest climbing project I had in this summer when I instead of the felling of trees used their tops pruning with the handsaw :blob2: for the maintaince of the small forest area to keep the diversity of tree species there.
Helped on this way the light demanding species to get more living space :)

Back