Which Bar Length to Use on Stihl MS 310?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RiverRat2: I'm from Beaumont, TX. Born and raised. Moved to Seattle-area in '97 from Nederland, TX.

I decided to go with the 20" bar & chain setup and now have a little problem. After about half of a tank of gas the chain refuses to turn when I press the throttle. I'm thinking that this is very odd and abnormal behavior. Can anyone shed any light as to what might be the problem?

This strikes me as very odd because it was cutting freaking great up until this point. It's also odd because I wasn't cutting the whole time. I would cut for about 5 minutes, stop the saw, split the rounds, repeat.

:help: :newbie:

Are you sure the brake isn't engaged?

If not, loosen the chain and check for debris in the bar.

Peacock thank you. You were spot on. :clap:

I was cutting some green Fir and there were small pieces of oily saw dust in the nose sprocket. Upon taking the bar and chain off I noticed that I was barely able to turn the sprocket with my hands, let alone with a chain on the bar.

Just like in my software development day job, the problem is usually caused by something small and stupid.

I have never had something like this happen so my first instinct was to freak out.

:ices_rofl: at me being a :newbie:

Time to go stock the stove and start prepping my famous lamb kabobs! :D

GOOD!!!

Try to make a habit out of revving the saw a bit as you come out of the cut. It helps clean out the chips from the bar and chain and prevents them from getting stuck after the clutch disengages.

Latest posts

Back