which chain size/type shall I get with my new stihl 361 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my take on it, for the 60cc stihl, it'll cut thru big logs alright, long or short bars, but in tight scrubby bush a long bar's a hassle, you want your saw light and nimble so it's easy to use, of course it's different for big logs for firewood etc.. where the logs support the weight, again at 18" diameter logs and over a 372 or 044 with 20 -22" bar is less effort to cut with but the light 60cc easier to carry, but not so much with longer bars, but on my job if the trees are consistent 20" it's into the truck with my 60cc and onto a 365 or more, even though I'd still prefer the light weight of my 18" 036, but if it's steep and rough terrain it's the 036 every time and everyone good luck on picking your own bar length :cheers:

I've got two 361s; run 1 with a 20 inch bar and the other with the 18 inch bar. I find myself picking and and using the one with the 18 inch bar more often than the other. I like the balance.

Yes - that is my main reason as well for voting for 18", and not 20".

20" bars are mainly for heavier saws, imo..........:givebeer:

To be honest this is my saw setup:
MS200-12", 026-14", 044-16"TO 18",066-24"TO 28", 090-36"to 60".

Willard.:greenchainsaw:

I usually use 18" with a 7 for felling, and mostly 15" with an 8 for anything else.....

...best limbing saw I have ever been into - throttle response is like a Husky xp, or better.....

Last edited:
I usually use 18" with a 7 for felling, and mostly 15" with an 8 for anything else.....

...best limbing saw I have ever been into - throttle responce is like a Husky xp, or better.....

Yes years ago when I did pulpcutting in small to medium timber, I learned from my Swedish logger friend to run 14" bars on our Jonsereds 670 and Husky 266. The saws were balanced really nice and limbing was so much easier with the 6 point technique. You hit far less stones when felling with the 14 too. The saws seemed alot lighter then they really were .with the 67cc saws you could still cut bigger wood with high production, becuse we were working on a piecework basis not by the hour.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back