Which is the best pro saw of each brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My son has an old jonsered 2040 homeowner saw it always starts hard if at all. He gets his fire wood with one of my old Partners each season. Now his job is paying him enough that he is thinking of maybe a new saw for this winter maybe. I have seen this type of thread before and seen them go flying off into some sort of argument, about why your saw is the best saw, that is not my goal. My newest saw is a 1984 I know each brand makes some real sweethearts and that is what we are asking about.
The saw needs to be pro saw between 50cc and maybe 65 cc weight is a non issue reliability is. He only has a few hours on some weekends to cut wood and really need's to just have a saw that is dependable. He did say he saw a Husqvarna flyer in the mail this week but I think any brand is fine with him really .We have a good Stihl dealer around as well as Husky and jonsereds as well as all others. My Partner 5000 had a great rep with Partner users that is the kind of feed back I am looking for from the other models as well. Thanks Jeff

In no special order but should fit the bill
Stihl 362, dolmar 6100, echo 620, 600, 590, and husky 555,560, 562,
All are 60cc range if all trees under 18-20 in you would probably be fine with a 50 cc but I find a 50 cc is just a little small for my timber. But I have all oak and hickory and majority is 18- 28 in across.
I would find the best local dealer and buy whatever brand they carry.

I am going to say go with a Jonsered 2260, light for a 60cc saw, high revving, and will pull a 20" bar with authority. Me personally I would buy it from Spike60 on here and get a 20" Total bar to go with it. His prices are unbeatable and he will not be disappointed in the performance.

Joe

Jonsered 2159 is 59 cc's, that's what I use and think its a good saw. I keep a 18" bar on it but it would do fine with a 20". Other options would be the 2260, 2258 or Husky 555, 562. The older husky 365's are 65cc, the newer x-torque are 70.5 and are nearly the same saw as the 372 x-torque but cheaper. I would stay out of the 50cc class of saw and at 60 for what he's doing. The 5XX series huskies and 22XX Jonsered's have electronic fuel management.

Another vote for the 562xp. That's gonna be my next purchase.
Thanks this is the sort of thing I think I am looking for.( ie ) " own a good saw but my next one will be..."word of mouth recommendations from others maybe or,... I wish I had bought this saw the first time around sort of thing. Thanks again

Thanks this is the sort of thing I think I am looking for.( ie ) " own a good saw but my next one will be..."word of mouth recommendations from others maybe or,... I wish I had bought this saw the first time around sort of thing. Thanks again
I currently run a 385xp and a shindiawa 488. Both are excellent saws in my opinion but the 562 is a great middle of the road saw. My good friend is a logger and uses his everyday. Of course he bought his after using another guys... and so it continues.

M137_NINJA.png

Husqvarna 560/562. The 555 is just as well built. Full pro-grade build quality. Will last decades in home-owner hands if maintained properly.

Fuel economy is remarkable compared with the older saws. I only ever run Aspen (Alkalyte fuel) in them so fuel economy has a bigger impact on my pocket than using regular gas and 2T oil. It might not matter as much at US gas prices.

I have a good selection of Husky saws and if I had to give up all but one, the 560 (small mount version of the 562) is the one that would be kept.

Anyhow, that's my vote!

I don't know if Dolmar is an option where you are, but one of the sponsors has a sale going on his extra inventory. I think he still has a 5105, a 6400, and a slightly used 6100. I like the 60cc size for the one size does all. I have a 562 and a 034s, and have run the 555, 2260, and the 590 echo at gtgs and they all would do what you want. I had a s50 Partner for 30 years and for about 16 years it was my only saw.

Back