Which splitting maul to get next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Okay, I know this topic has been beat to death, but I've yet to see a thread that really answers what I'm looking for without adding 10,000 threads and pics of various Fiskars hatches and axes. I have an X27, I use it a lot, and I do like it. However, there's a fair amount of stuff that it just isn't the correct tool for.

Short story: I'm looking for a 6lb maul that I can still drive steel wedges with, has a handle that isn't going to break off on me, and is reasonably priced ($50 or less).

Long version: In the last 10 years, I've gone through a 6lb maul, and two 8 lb mauls. The 6 lb has had 2 handles in it, one 8lb has had the handle replaced once, and the other had the handle replaced 3 times. The 6lb handle never broke, but over time would always become extremely loose no mater how many wedges I put in it, or how well I fit the handle to begin with. One 8lb handle came loose, the others all broke off at the head. I've had maybe 3 or 4 over strikes in the last 5 years, including one or two where I hit the mark, but the wood split funky leaving a section for the handle to hit. The broken handles LOOK really good, not all scared up from making contact. They just seem to get week right at the base of the head, and eventually bust off. Almost like the wood is starting to get soft or something. Now, this in the last 10 years since I've been burning firewood for myself. I was cutting firewood with my dad since before I can remember, and started swinging an axe and a maul when I was about 10. Starting at the age of 13, I spent the next 8 years doing the majority of the work with dad's 8lb maul. Here we are 20 years later and he still has that same maul (and same axe) with the same wood handle(s) that he's had my entire life.

So, now I'm looking for another option. I think I'm going to cheat and get one of those great big 15lb mauls with the steel handle. Going to a 15lb maul leaves a huge hole between it and the X27. So, I'd like to get a 6lb maul with a fiberglass handle that I an still drive wedges with it, and I want to keep the price under $50. Does such a tool exist?

Thanks,
Mark

IMO there isn't any quality tools to choose from that stand out more than any other tools in that price range. I'd save a little more money and drop $150 on a nice maul, preferably 8 lbs.

Okay, I know this topic has been beat to death, but I've yet to see a thread that really answers what I'm looking for without adding 10,000 threads and pics of various Fiskars hatches and axes. I have an X27, I use it a lot, and I do like it. However, there's a fair amount of stuff that it just isn't the correct tool for.

Short story: I'm looking for a 6lb maul that I can still drive steel wedges with, has a handle that isn't going to break off on me, and is reasonably priced ($50 or less).

Long version: In the last 10 years, I've gone through a 6lb maul, and two 8 lb mauls. The 6 lb has had 2 handles in it, one 8lb has had the handle replaced once, and the other had the handle replaced 3 times. The 6lb handle never broke, but over time would always become extremely loose no mater how many wedges I put in it, or how well I fit the handle to begin with. One 8lb handle came loose, the others all broke off at the head. I've had maybe 3 or 4 over strikes in the last 5 years, including one or two where I hit the mark, but the wood split funky leaving a section for the handle to hit. The broken handles LOOK really good, not all scared up from making contact. They just seem to get week right at the base of the head, and eventually bust off. Almost like the wood is starting to get soft or something. Now, this in the last 10 years since I've been burning firewood for myself. I was cutting firewood with my dad since before I can remember, and started swinging an axe and a maul when I was about 10. Starting at the age of 13, I spent the next 8 years doing the majority of the work with dad's 8lb maul. Here we are 20 years later and he still has that same maul (and same axe) with the same wood handle(s) that he's had my entire life.

So, now I'm looking for another option. I think I'm going to cheat and get one of those great big 15lb mauls with the steel handle. Going to a 15lb maul leaves a huge hole between it and the X27. So, I'd like to get a 6lb maul with a fiberglass handle that I an still drive wedges with it, and I want to keep the price under $50. Does such a tool exist?

Thanks,
Mark
Re-reading this, is there any reason why you wouldn't just get fiberglass replacement handles for the maul heads you already have?

I would recommend looking at the 8 lb Collins splitting maul. My bother and I each have one and have split many many cords and driven wedges and they are still going strong. If you dress up the edge it will be a great and durable tool. I think they are in that $40 range and found at Ace Hardware.

The maul by Stihl is the same as the big ox and cost about $100. I'd give it a try.
The stihl pro splitting maul was what came first to my mind. But it is double your budget. If you do find something in your criteria please let us all know. Many (including myself ) would really be interested.

The main reason that I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new maul is that I just don't really use them like I used to. I cut mostly hickory and big oak, I cut my rounds 21"-24" long, and I generally leave my splits pretty big. If its under 8", it doesn't get split at all. If it's over 8", I'll split it and try to keep as many of the splits as possible in that 6" to 8" range. I'll take a few good swings with a maul, but if it doesn't split, then I use the 064 to noodle it. I always use the maul to finish it so that I don't risk getting the bar in the dirt. It just doesn't seem like that should require a $100-$150 tool. That's getting close to half of what I gave for the 064, and is getting in the ball park of what I generally pay for a good used saw.

After a little more research on the fiberglass handles, it looks like they are even more prone to breaking off than the hickory handles are. There goes that idea. Maybe I'll just weld a 1" pipe to the 8# head that I have. Would suck to hit a wedge with it, but the head won't snap off any more....

The stihl pro splitting maul was what came first to my mind. But it is double your budget. If you do find something in your criteria please let us all know. Many (including myself ) would really be interested.

The more I look into it, the more I'm certain that what ever I find will have the same miserable end as the ones I've already used.

The main reason that I don't want to spend a lot of money on a new maul is that I just don't really use them like I used to. I cut mostly hickory and big oak, I cut my rounds 21"-24" long, and I generally leave my splits pretty big. If its under 8", it doesn't get split at all. If it's over 8", I'll split it and try to keep as many of the splits as possible in that 6" to 8" range. I'll take a few good swings with a maul, but if it doesn't split, then I use the 064 to noodle it. I always use the maul to finish it so that I don't risk getting the bar in the dirt. It just doesn't seem like that should require a $100-$150 tool. That's getting close to half of what I gave for the 064, and is getting in the ball park of what I generally pay for a good used saw.

After a little more research on the fiberglass handles, it looks like they are even more prone to breaking off than the hickory handles are. There goes that idea. Maybe I'll just weld a 1" pipe to the 8# head that I have. Would suck to hit a wedge with it, but the head won't snap off any more....
Seriously try the collins 8 lb maul. The abuse I have put that through without breaking the handle has amazed me. You will need to rework the edge but after that it works great. It's not your standard fiberglass handle and it is in your price range!

You might of missed my earlier post. "IMO there isn't any quality tools to choose from that stand out more than any other tools in that price range. I'd save a little more money and drop $150 on a nice maul, preferably 8 lbs."

The more I look into it, the more I'm certain that what ever I find will have the same miserable end as the ones I've already used.
Exactly my point. Everything under $50 is the same maul IMO, don't matter if you bought it online for $50 or at a yard sale for $5, to me they are all the same. This is definitely a case where you get what you pay for. The only exception to this is the Fiskars X27 however it is technically over $50. IMO its as effective as a traditional 8lb maul but has a life time warrantee.

I am not sure where you are seeing that. I know that the typical yellow handles from a big box will take much more abuse than a hickory handle.

Yes. I've used one of the Collins. Head snapped off. I did get some use out of it, but after a few years it was done.

Exactly my point. Everything under $50 is the same maul IMO, don't matter if you bought it online for $50 or at a yard sale for $5, to me they are all the same. This is definitely a case where you get what you pay for. The only exception to this is the Fiskars X27 however it is technically over $50. IMO its as effective as a traditional 8lb maul but has a life time warrantee.

An splitting axe and a maul are completely different tools. My 8lb mauls will split stuff that will laugh at an X27 all day long. Now, you get down to about 5 below, and all of the sudden that X27 will split just about anything. Then again, so will any other axe at that temperature. The X27 is the best axe I've ever used, and will certainly out perform any other tool of the same weight. However, there are some things that it just won't touch that require more brute force.

I am not sure where you are seeing that. I know that the typical yellow handles from a big box will take much more abuse than a hickory handle.

I basically read the reviews on most of the brands that I could find. All of them had at least 2 reviewers who snapped the handle just below the head like I've been doing with the Hickory handles. I was always under the impression that the fiberglass stuff was a LOT more resilient, but those reviews are enough to warn me away. It would be different if they had 200 reviews and only 2 or 3 issues like this, but none of them had more than 30 reviews, so those negative ones carry more weight in my book.

I went a head and pulled the trigger on a 6# Wilton Bash from Bailys. I wish they had the 36" version and at the same price. Based on the other prices that I see it listed for, $60 to the house should be a worth while investment. Would have liked to have spent less, but the unbreakable handle should make it worth the cost.

If I didn't have the option of noodling the big stuff, then a good maul would be well worth the money. I turned 40 this year, and I'm still not afraid fo a good hard day's work. Having said that, I've seen what happened to previous generations who were hard on their bodies, or didn't want to slow down. I can't afford to turn out that way so given the choice between a high quality splitting maul, and a cheaper one in conjunction with a power tool, I'll spend the $$ and go the power tool route :)

Yes, I read your posts on it. I just couldn't find any anywhere from anyone who's done a considerable amount of work with them. I'm sure the handle will hold up great. Just not sure how well it will split, or how easy it will be to get stuck. If the head design is prone to sticking, that will be very frustrating.

Yes, I read your posts on it. I just couldn't find any anywhere from anyone who's done a considerable amount of work with them. I'm sure the handle will hold up great. Just not sure how well it will split, or how easy it will be to get stuck. If the head design is prone to sticking, that will be very frustrating.
@SteveSS can you add anything here?

You might of missed my earlier post. "IMO there isn't any quality tools to choose from that stand out more than any other tools in that price range. I'd save a little more money and drop $150 on a nice maul, preferably 8 lbs."
I use an X27 and purchased a Gransfors Bruks which, while expensive, saves my back over the standard 8 pound Maul. It weighs 6 lbs and splits better saving time as well. It costs a fortune but will be with me the rest of my life if not stolen. I find it a joy, rather than pain, to use.

Latest posts

Back