Which splitting maul to get next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my Fiskars isocore a few or more days ago. Hadn't used it a whole bunch but I rotated splitting 16" long Black oak rounds up to about 18" dia that were cut last spring. with my old style Fiskars supper splitting axe. Split up a little less then 1/3 cord. Been very happy with it so far and I don't see why it would change. Rounds that are a little to much for the splitting axe, split well with the isocore and the handle absorbs the shock very well also. The monster maul is still king if you are going to split toughies by hand, but the shock from the metal handle is punishing if you have any lameness in your bones or joints. I might do a few now and then with one but noodling through the tough knots is a much better option for me. I had bought an Husky fiberglass or plastic handle 8 LB maul from Home Depot about a month or two ago and tried the same comparison with the Fiskars splitting axe. Started with the maul which at first I thought it split ok, but after using the splitting axe I found it a pain every time I switched back to the maul, not much gain in splitting power and uncomfortable shock on impact. Haven't used the maul since and don't intend to. Isocore is a big thumbs up though.

The X-series Fisakars are not recommended to strike metal objects like wedges, star posts etc. Can the iso-core be used to beat on metal or will it shatter like the X-series??

I have an X27 and occasionaly have to smack it with the maul to finish a split. Head is nearing time to grind off the mushroom. I haven't heard of any insstance where one "shattered".

I left a more detailed review in the splitting tool thread after some more time out today with the Isocore.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/splitting-chopping-tool-review-thread.266834/page-59

Long story short, for splitting tougher species I recommend the Isocore. For a general purpose splitter I recommend the Husky S2800.
I love the isocore for tough splits.Best maul I've used yet. I have the s2800 and raely use it. I'm kinda tall for the handle and find the fiskars doesn't stick as much, but maybe I'm missing something. Need to sell it at some point. It's just collecting dust....

I love the isocore for tough splits.Best maul I've used yet. I have the s2800 and raely use it. I'm kinda tall for the handle and find the fiskars doesn't stick as much, but maybe I'm missing something. Need to sell it at some point. It's just collecting dust....

Shoot me a PM if you want to sell it. :)

You know I've considered selling most of my traditional tools and just going to an all composite line up but like saws, axes are addicting.

I keep an eye out for sales/clearances and now have 5 Fiskars tools plus the Husky.

Supposed to be able to. But I have not tested it out.
I agree supposed to be, but not needed a wedge since purchase so not tested. It can slab side the largest fir and arbutus (over 4 foot diameter) and save the real nasty for the hydraulic splitter in the works.
Had a chance to work in -9 C splitting green arbutus, I felt like a super hero with this maul.

I have an X27 and occasionaly have to smack it with the maul to finish a split. Head is nearing time to grind off the mushroom. I haven't heard of any insstance where one "shattered".
That's good that you have successfully hit it to the point of mushroom forming without any issues. I have not used mine once to hit metal as I thought it was a no-no due to the brittle nature of the x27 steel (very hard to hold an edge). I think I read it on the package but maybe I have it wrong.

There was one photo in the splitting tool thread of a shattered X27. But they are pretty rare.

I emailed the heck out of my X27 with a sledge before I got a hydro. Just ground the mushroomed part off and kept going.

Here is me exercise with the isocore 8.
Not a bad maul. One I would let a friend use. Lol

Back