Which Stihl chain for dirtier cutting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm using an Stihl RS23. Which one would hold its edge longer in dead wood?

99% of what I cut is dead ash and plain old RS works great for me better than the new stuff they came out with but I'm not a logger just a homeowner who heats with wood.

I'm using an Stihl RS23. Which one would hold its edge longer in dead wood?
Sorry. I don't see it or understand. Could you elaborate? Thanks!
'RS' is STIHL's designation ('Rapid Super') for full-chisel chain. It can be identified by a sharp leading point on the cutter. It looks like the number '7' when looking straight on from the business end.

Full-chisel chain cuts faster, but dulls faster, all things equal.

'RM' is STIHL's designation ('Rapid Micro') for semi-chisel chain. It can be identified by a rounded leading edge on the cutter. It looks more like a '?' when looking straight on from the business end.

Semi-chisel chain cuts a bit slower , but cuts longer, all things equal.

Different chain manufacturers use different terms. Oregon calls some of their semi-chisel chain, 'micro-chisel', 'chamfer-chisel', or 'semi-chisel'.

Other manufactures may use other terms.

Semi-chisel is the "all season radial" of chains in my opinion.

Philbert

Back at my desktop - here is an illustration that might help.

In some ways, all variations on a theme. But the sharp, pointy corner of full-chisel chain is distinctive.
Cutter Profiles.png

P.S. you don't have to stick with only STIHL branded chain. You might try some other brands of chain, and see if those hold up better for you as well.

Philbert

The Micro Chisel is a common processor/harvester chain in .404 .080". Not sure if it's made for chainsaws?

I easily get 8-10 cords on a sharpening on it.

If your in really dirty wood and don't mind needing diamond dremel bits for sharpening, there are carbide options available. Stihl has one and Rapco has several options.
Just posted this in another thread:

There have been a few threads, and several posts on carbide chain here on A.S. e.g.:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/carbide-saw-chain.266273/

Some longer threads on another site.

Basically:
1. There are many varieties of carbide saw chain. Some are designed for fire fighters cutting building materials (roofing, nails, sheet metal, etc.) which do not cut firewood very well. Make sure that you select a type that is designed for cutting tree wood.

2. Expensive to buy. Some carbide chains can cost $300 a loop.

3. Expensive to sharpen. Requires a diamond (not CBN) wheel ($100+) on a grinder, or a shop that will sharpen them (locally, it is at least 3X the cost of sharpening conventional chains).

4. Carbide is hard - it can chip. Requires tooth replacement, rather that sharpening.

5. Carbide is hard - it cannot be ground to as acute of an angle without breaking (see above), so the cutters tends to cut slower.

It will hold up better to some types of challenging cutting (.eg. old railroad ties, . . .) so it can be a good choice in the right application. But not as easy of a substitution as carbide blades have been for circular saws, etc.

Philbert

I have the full chisel on my ms290/390 and I thought it was awesome. However that's the only saw I have a full chisel on since I mainly use it for cutting bigger stuff and felling trees. Then I tried the semi chisel and was in love. I run semi chisel non saftey chains on all my other saws. Simply for the reason I grab a saw cut whatever wood I'm cutting and it chips good and stays sharp. I only cut for fire wood and mainly cut downed trees around the property. If I'm out to fell trees and cut them up full chisel all the way.

i thought ripping chain comes in chipper profile, . . .
'Real' chipper chain is pretty much 'old school'. It is not easy to find for handheld chainsaws, although it is still used on some harvester bars.

A few companies that make chain in China show chipper chain in .404 pitch in their catalogs - not sure how available it really is.

Ripping chain is usually standard full or semi chisel chain ground to different angles, although, a few companies (e.g. Granberg) make a special 'hybrid' ripping chain with extra scoring/scratcher teeth.

Philbert

' Real chipper chain is pretty much 'old school'. It is not easy to find for handheld chainsaws, although it is still used on some harvester bars.

A few companies that make chain in China show chipper chain in .404 pitch in their catalogs - not sure how available it really is.

Ripping chain is usually standard full or semi chisel chain ground to different angles, although, a few companies (e.g. Granberg) make a special 'hybrid' ripping chain with extra scoring/scratcher teeth.

Philbert

over here ripping chain comes in chipper profile, it could be a regional thing
but you are right, Real chipper are old school and hard to come by these days
and some people call semi chisel as chipper

Back