Which would you rather buy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw would you leave with???

• Total voters

wigglesworth

Booned
Reaction score
Kinda a spinoff from another thread. Im sure it's been done before, probably a thousand times, but what the heck....its a forum about chainsaws, right?

So if you could go to the dealer today, with cash in hand to buy a 70cc pro stihl saw, and you had two choices, a spankin new MS440 or a new MS441, which one would you walk out with?

lol, was thinking of starting the same poll/thread! No surprise but the 441 gets my vote, hands down. More power, better filtration, better AV, better fuel economy, more stout bottom end (not that the 440 had a weak bottom end, but that's where the weight gain comes from) and responds very very well to mods.

440. Good power and easy to throw around. Simplicity. And I don't mind feeling my saw (even after an 8 hour day of cutting). Also easy to mod for the average guy who doesn't want to throw flakes. Throw a dual port cover on it, lose the gasket and you're halfway there.

Last edited:
441 - Same reasons as Fatguy above and with will easily hang with the 460 when comparing both in modded form and cutting cookies. When actually working, its superior fuel efficiency will smoke the 460 in cutting wood production and the increased power over the 440 is obvious.

My opinion,

Sam

LOL, "a pound", nice ...........

Sam

are you implying that I rounded up from a little over a half a pound?:cheers::)

I cant see buying a 441 when you can buy a 460 at the same weight but .5hp more power...and withing $40-50 difference in cost...

are you implying that I rounded up from a little over a half a pound?:cheers::)

I cant see buying a 441 when you can buy a 460 at the same weight but .5hp more power...and withing $40-50 difference in cost...

I won't beat a dead horse. The 441 is a much more efficient saw for cutting wood. The 460 has that .5hp to its advantage and thats about it, which is great if all you do is cut cookies in your backyard. If you cut wood with production in mind, the 441 will cut more wood, more efficiently. There isn't any getting around that fact. I have tried and its not possible, certainly not if they are both modded to their potential, at that point the 441 will certainly spank the 460. The 441 is one serious choked up saw in stock form.

The guy that modds my saws has modded many 460's he was even quite proud of what he could do with one. He griped and complained when I told him I wanted to try the 441. He did his work and compared it to his modded 460's (he has 8 at his disposal) and even this first, for him, 441 was easily as good if not better than his tried and true 460's, and the 441 gets much better fuel mileage, and I mean rather noticeable increases in wood cut between fillups. This is quite an advantage in production.

I personally have never had to put down my 441 because I was too tired of carrying around the "1 pound of extra" weight. But when all saws run out of gas, you have to stop, period. The 441 makes less of those stops in a days time, in a weeks time and in a years time. Add all that time up and the 441 will make money and save money over the 460 in cut wood and saved fuel/mix.

Conversely we can add up all of the cookie cutting seconds and possibly at the end of the year you will have a massed a good solid hour (3600 seconds) at the end of the year with that legendary 460. Man Oh Man, that is life changing stuff there, and it still ate more gas doing it.

If you can't come to grips with these simple facts, then there are other problems below the surface that can't likely be changed over the course of typed dialogue in a chainsaw forum.

My opinion,

Sam

I have to admit to having an inane distrust of the strato line of saws.I'll let others be the financial guinea pigs and wait to see how long lived they may be....

Glad to hear the 441 is working out for some folks.....gives me hope.....

I won't beat a dead horse. The 441 is a much more efficient saw for cutting wood. The 460 has that .5hp to its advantage and thats about it, which is great if all you do is cut cookies in your backyard. If you cut wood with production in mind, the 441 will cut more wood, more efficiently. There isn't any getting around that fact. I have tried and its not possible, certainly not if they are both modded to their potential, at that point the 441 will certainly spank the 460. The 441 is one serious choked up saw in stock form.

The guy that modds my saws has modded many 460's he was even quite proud of what he could do with one. He griped and complained when I told him I wanted to try the 441. He did his work and compared it to his modded 460's (he has 8 at his disposal) and even this first, for him, 441 was easily as good if not better than his tried and true 460's, and the 441 gets much better fuel mileage, and I mean rather noticeable increases in wood cut between fillups. This is quite an advantage in production.

I personally have never had to put down my 441 because I was too tired of carrying around the "1 pound of extra" weight. But when all saws run out of gas, you have to stop, period. The 441 makes less of those stops in a days time, in a weeks time and in a years time. Add all that time up and the 441 will make money and save money over the 460 in cut wood and saved fuel/mix.

Conversely we can add up all of the cookie cutting seconds and possibly at the end of the year you will have a massed a good solid hour (3600 seconds) at the end of the year with that legendary 460. Man Oh Man, that is life changing stuff there, and it still ate more gas doing it.

If you can't come to grips with these simple facts, then there are other problems below the surface that can't likely be changed over the course of typed dialogue in a chainsaw forum.

My opinion,

Sam

He never asked about MODDED saws, he asked about going to a dealer and buying a NIB saw...

My opinion,

Sam

Real world experience, pragmatic thinking. Always welcome! :cheers:

I didnt vote, because I dont know.

When I got my 460 the 441 was brand new, and the dealer didnt have any 440's, so I got a tried and true 460 instead of a new and un proved 441.

Today, the 441 has proved itself. So to be honest if I had to buy a new saw today I dont know. The 440 has a great following, and so does the 441.

I like the fact that the 440 is still a tried and true saw. But I like the antivibe and the air filtration of the 441.

I would flip a coin

440... Its a proven winner. I don't think I ever heard anybody say they did not like/love it, after running one. :cheers:

Back