White Oak Milled rough siding with bark edges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabin Amature

Reaction score
I have 40 acres and I dropped a number of standing dead, white oaks. I am getting ready to have them milled into boards so i can use on the outside of a cabin I intent to build. I am not using whole log, I intent to cut them into boards and use the boards overlapped as the outside siding. Does anyone have experience doing the same and is this a good choice of wood for this project.

Thanks, Brian

I have 40 acres and I dropped a number of standing dead, white oaks. I am getting ready to have them milled into boards so i can use on the outside of a cabin I intent to build. I am not using whole log, I intent to cut them into boards and use the boards overlapped as the outside siding. Does anyone have experience doing the same and is this a good choice of wood for this project.

Thanks, Brian
I wouldn't use white oak but if you do you need to cut and press drill your nail holes when attaching, or elSr it will split and or you'll be bending every nail. Let it dry a year on house than I would be sealing it good with a quality sealer/ finish. Hemlock and pine are better suited for siding, easier to install. Make sure you overlap good, it will still shrink.

If you leave the bark on the edges, it can cause rot between the bark and wood after a few years, especially if getting wet sometimes from blown rain.

Also, since rough cut edges are not straight, they will lay unevenly on each other on the overlap. The rough edge might be fine on the exposed edge, but the underside edge will be better if it was straight, allowing for a smooth fit and better seal. So consider cutting the underside edge straight.

You could frame up a house and sheath it like this. This is a 200 year old cabin made in the plank house style. I know you asked about the live edges, this is just another choice, Joe.

I guess its an optical illusion, but the tall tree on the right side of the house picture is doing crazy things!

I guess its an optical illusion, but the tall tree on the right side of the house picture is doing crazy things!

The post with the sign on it kind of lines up with the tree so that might be causing an "optical confusion". But this cabin is on Chincoteague Island, on the Virginia Coast to the Atlantic. Some of the trees there do some pretty weird things with the wind and sandy soil, Joe

If you Google the "Timothy Hill House" and look at the rest of the trees around the house, all the growth is on one side and nothing is straight, Joe.

Back